Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sick days...

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by susansmith View Post
    Thank you Suzie_Homemaker for that input. That explanation makes great sense!
    The other way to introduce a change is to amend your master contract so each new child who joins from now onwards, has the new terms. Depending on the age group in your care now it might mean a couple of years before your whole client base has turned over but sometimes it's easier to bring in change as new client's join vs force a change on all already in your care who didn't sign up for the changes.

You will have to try and figure out what is a reasonable amount of time in your area. In Canada, the base number of days leave that people get is 2 weeks and anything more is subject to company policy or length of employment. If you are in a high demand area, then it's easier to implement these changes if you have a good rep and are known. However, if you are in an area that is saturated with options for day homes of a comparable quality, then it's harder to require more "benefits" than other providers charge for especially if your client base are employed in roles where they only get the minimum's themselves.

I know that in my area, 4 weeks leave would be a deal breaker for most clients even if 2 weeks were paid and 2 weeks were unpaid. It's not that they don't value my service, it's simply that a high number of parents are single parents, a lot of employers locally do not offer more than 2 weeks leave, and it would truly be impossible for most people to be home with a child for 4 weeks each year without them being unpaid for part of that themselves or facing issues with their own employer for the extended leave each year. As it is with 2 weeks, I am effectively dictating when my client's get their 2 weeks off since that's the typical leave entitlement for employees. There's no way they would be able to cover my unavailability if I were to have double their leave entitlement and take 4 weeks. What I do commit to is having one full week of my leave on the same dates every year and that way, they can plan for when I am off. The other days tend to be taken as odd days here and there with any unused leave being taken between Christmas and the New year when people are more likely to be off themselves or have family visiting who could cover their childcare needs.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by susansmith View Post
    BlueRose If I can ask...4 weeks vacation...are these paid weeks ....and is it the same for sick, personal, bereavement and emergency days? I realize we can all put whatever we want in our contracts, but I will say...it's not easy to find clients that will pay for all that....my clients frown about paying for when they take vacation, let alone me!
    Hi, from my own experience I can tell you to write anything you want on your contract but, you must consider pros and cons. I am very friendly and open during my interviews or meeting parents on parks, playgroups etc.

I like to stay in touch with my community that also gives me a first hand feed back of what other provider's do or don't do. (Word travels, and especially bad news or negative ones sooner than good ones)

I had heard parents talking about pages and pages of contracts, I have heard parents especulating about certain contracts which played a huge role on their decision making process, I had heard parents complaining about caregivers cutting any communication channels but only emails (raising red flags to them), sometimes they ask me or refer me as to explain if our contracts are somehow regulated or if they can be negotiated.

I always said my contract is only three pages point form 1 1/2 spaced and really clear (not complex terms etc) and simple.

I'm just crossing my fingers for the Ministry of education not to also step on this subject and create an guidelines for an universal contract (many contracts are really ridiculus, poor parents in some cases due to their desesperate need they sign and then struggle).

So, I think it is standard for all of us to have 10 days more or less payed Holidays.
    I have 10 days summer break (payed but, in Ontario you cannot write in your contract as vac pay. Because you're self employed) so, I clearly explain parents during my interviews that I do close my daycare for 10 days in summer and I do my best to coordinate those at the beginning of each year so they're able either to take work vacations the same dates (so they do not have to deal with other childcare arrangements) and if they really need childcare I give along a list of different options.

In many years no one used the list everyone got to book the very same days of vacations (every beginning of the year also is asked if they have any suggestions for dates and we just go with the majority), I also close during Christmas and new year (I think at the most 3 workable days); I used to be open but I had only one or non children coming due to family visits, trips etc. So I close it and it is payed. I have the 5 day sickness leave (but as I mentioned I have only used 1 day in nearly 20 years of work).

That's it. I place all this point form and it is clear and understandable. I've noticed that being my contract clear made some of my clients sign on the spot (because and they told me they got some contracts to no end obviously mostly on benefit of the caregiver than a equitable parts parents and caregivers).

They also told me that to refer by any situation to those contracts gets complex and short and concise form is easy to remember and refer . (I'm simple so I guess that applies to me&#128521

Euphoric !
    Clear documents are vital. If you ever have to go to court with a problem, your documents must be unambiguous and simple to understand. If they are overly long, or complicated, the Judge will likely rule that it's unreasonable for parents to understand what your policies are.

I have two documents and a private FB group for current clients for open communication.

My contact is a 2 page document that is fixed. Who are the clients, what is the child's name, when care is to start, which days they are registered for care, what my business hours are and if any agreement has been reached for extended care/early drop off, required notice of termination, what is included in my fees and what parents have to provide, what my fees are and that in the event of fee increases parents will be given 14 days notice, and a firm statement that my handbook details my policies, is part of the contracted agreement, that the parent has seen the handbook at signing and has a copy in their hands, and what version number they received.

My handbook details my policy and is more fluid. This means as policy changes either due to provincial regulations or my own amendments, this document can and will change from time to time. It clearly states that parents will be given 14 days notice of a policy change unless it's a provincial change beyond my control and that after those 14 days the amendment has come into effect. That amended handbooks are issued via the FB group, and that a parent continuing in my care after the date of change is deemed to have accepted the amendment.

Again, this has to be a clear document and not too long. Mine is 5 pages in total. It covers late payment fees and that care will not be provided until accounts are up to date, what the pay schedule is, late collection fees, the procedure that will be followed in an emergency, how much notice parents get if I am taking a paid personal day, requirement for immunization, the Provincial public health guidelines for excluding a sick child, sickness policy, head lice/pet flea/bed bug policy, notice period for either party and the circumstances where I will terminate care without no notice, toilet training requirements, etc.

One other thing it is really important to know - if you have a policy documented that you do not enforce, then you put yourself in a position of weakness in asking a court to enforce any other policy. For instance, if you have a late pick up change that you never charge because you are embarrassed to ask for it, then you must either start enforcing it or remove it from your documents. A Judge will argue that if one policy is not enforced, then why would client's believe you are going to enforce a different aspect of your contracted terms.