Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Parents moving

Parents moving

Just wondering what your take is on all of this...
    I've been looking after this one boy for 1 1/2 years now. Last August, his mother gave birth and mentioned I would definitely be looking after his new sibling too.
    About 2 weeks ago, Dad dropped by and was all excited...he mentioned they were looking at houses over the weekend. I thought "great", they've been renting and the landlord was a goof. Until he said they were looking for a house out in the country with acreage ("oh, but don't worry, he'll still be coming to your house"). So yesterday he dropped his son off again and mentioned they saw a really nice house. The problem is it's about 1 1/2 hours away!!! I've been through this before. Clients move, thinking they can make the commute to work and terminate anyway.
    Should I go ahead and look to fill his spot and then terminate or, try to see if it will work out? Winter driving is bad especially on the highway. They would have to leave their house by 6:00 to get here on time. Thanks

Euphoric !
    Fill the space

Expansive...
    I would interview other families anyway. Always have a backup plan in place.

Outgoing
    It works usually speaking to them and being honest. I had better results that way. I kind of get a bit more supportive and cheerful about them getting their own place and I always tell them my concerns but never tied up. We all need support, I had families that told me about moving and I got kind of more friendly and supportive even facilitating websites of daycare friends close to their locations etc. Those families got so concerned about leaving me with an opening so they basically refered close friends and families it worked amazing. I still working with a family for five years now that was refered that way through a moving out best friend.

But, I had also a family that they moved an hour far and they kept bringing their child every year even during winter. I felt so bad about it and I actually suggested that if they find a good daycare in their area I would be great for them and not to worry on telling me (I had always a waiting list). They discussed and they said they will continue.bringing the little one. Until he went to school!!!

Just be honest, overall they haven't bought the house yet so who knows they still have pros and cons to evaluate for sure.

I had two families that actually bought houses and moved into my neighbourhood so their kids "homedaycare" is closer ���� those kids still around and come for visits one almost 16 yo and another one 10 yo. They don't forget. KindNess and support is what we all need.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    Just wondering what your take is on all of this...
    I've been looking after this one boy for 1 1/2 years now. Last August, his mother gave birth and mentioned I would definitely be looking after his new sibling too.
    About 2 weeks ago, Dad dropped by and was all excited...he mentioned they were looking at houses over the weekend. I thought "great", they've been renting and the landlord was a goof. Until he said they were looking for a house out in the country with acreage ("oh, but don't worry, he'll still be coming to your house"). So yesterday he dropped his son off again and mentioned they saw a really nice house. The problem is it's about 1 1/2 hours away!!! I've been through this before. Clients move, thinking they can make the commute to work and terminate anyway.
    Should I go ahead and look to fill his spot and then terminate or, try to see if it will work out? Winter driving is bad especially on the highway. They would have to leave their house by 6:00 to get here on time. Thanks
    I find having an open relationship where you can communicate is vital. Like Peacefulbird, I've had family's who bought homes close to me to stay in my day home and I've had family's who come here, in the opposite direction to their work and then drive back past their home to get to work for some distance.

I would be honest with this family. Ask them how realistic it's going to be to travel so far each day and tell them straight that losing one child is hard enough but with you having two spaces tied to them, you are really concerned that it's going to be too much travel.

Once you have the hard conversation, you'll be better placed to decide what action you might or might not need to take.

Thanks everyone. I think I will have a good conversation with them. The mother is much easier to talk to but tends to sugarcoat things. The father is more direct and logical, so I'll talk to them both at the same time All I know is that every client who has moved a distance away has changed daycares...and to be honest, I don't blame them. I just want honesty. Thanks for all the help!!

Euphoric !
    Truly i dont think it matters how far they move. What matters is where they work. If they still work near you they are making that commute.

I have known numerous people that have opted to live 1.5hrs from work. They prefer the country live despite the 3hr daily commute. So talk with them and also find out where they will be working and that will let you know how feasible it is for them to stay with you.