I have received an email from someone needing a spot for july/june for their 13mos old son. They are however on vacation right now and from what they have told me the person they contacted for daycare previously said they would hold a spot then didn't and now they desperately need someone for when they come back.

I have mentioned they are most welcome to come by for an in person interview and if it works out for both parties we can sign the contract same day and begin care asap. They however insist on paying me a deposit for 1 month of care via cheque or money order to secure a spot for their child. I have already said no I do not do that I cannot sign up and take a deposit without meeting you first THERE IS NO ONE ELSE INTERESTED IN THE SPOT AT THE TIME. They will be back June 10, I can meet then june 12 the earliest.

Apparently they have contacted almost all daycares in my area and I am the only one available for the time they need.

Does this sound like a scam or just a legitimately desperate parent? I am really on the fence on this one. anyone else recently received any emails of this sort?

I really need this spot filled and the hours and says they need are perfect but don't want to fall for a scam...