Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Older Kids: bibs/cups

I've always insisted that every child wears a bib and I have non-spill cups for each child ranging age 1 - 4. Some of the older kids are complaining about having to wear bib and they don't at home. Some also want open cups.... Am I babying them too much? It's more convenient for me the way it is now for clean up but don't want to treat them all as babies either. What do centers do? I want the kids to feel like they are maturing but not at risk of a tonne of mess. How do you handle bibs and cups and ages of children? Tx!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Am I babying them too much? It's more convenient for me the way it is now for clean up but don't want to treat them all as babies either. What do centers do? I want the kids to feel like they are maturing but not at risk of a tonne of mess. How do you handle bibs and cups and ages of children? Tx!
    Mine don't wear bibs beyond 18 months nor do they have sippy cups. Most of my children come between 10 months and 12 months. While they are still learning to feed themselves, I do provide a bib and a sippy cup. But by age 2, they are more than competent at eating and drinking from a regular cup.

In order to improve any new skill, they must have the opportunity to practice. Sure, drinking from a cup initially will result in some spills but children learn fast. Just fill it a little vs to the brim and let the child know they may have more.

You have to wipe hands, faces and the table anyway at the end of a meal. It's not that much more clean up and it's only short term mess while they adjust.

Like toilet training or putting their shoes and coats on - we cannot and must not hold them back because it's easier for us. It takes them a little while to learn but once they have learned, it's much easier having toilet trained, able eaters who can dress themselves at age 2 vs babying them and we are still doing it for them age 4 because it's faster. Sure, it might be in the short term faster or easier to do things for them but I'd rather have a houseful of competent 2, 3 and 4 year olds than still be doing it all for them for an additional 2 years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I completely agree with Suzie_Homemaker

The biggest feature of my daycare and my philosophy is "independence"; as soon as they enter my daycare i find things for them to do independently.

Some times even at 12 months they're able to hold their cups. The use of bibs is ok until they show no more mess on them, I serve meals drinks etc. On trays so it contents the mess. They learn to place dirty dishes in a sink as soon as they can reach it. Sometimes they even try it sooner than that. They help putting their clothing away, milk and water cups in the sink, bedding and crafts away, they recognize their names on labels etc. Older ones dress themselves and have the choice to help younger ones or new ones etc.

I think as providers there is a huge misunderstanding in some cases (and I have seeing it many cases); ex.

1. Children come to your home to learn those skills.(unless you have another philosophy which also is understandable)

2. New parents rely on you to guide them and help their children to become fully operational, while supporting and guiding them during the early stages of development. We must also understand that parents get to spoil their children (but providers are most likely a guide for parents and children).

3. Children are capable and competent at very early age if given the opportunity.

4. The caregiver must be flexible, most of the time in this work is valuated mostly your patience and support rather than what is most convenient or easy for you (allowing them to learn especially if it is not in a harmful situation).

Children do not need bibs after they show that they can eat without mess. Tell them that and you'll see how they really eat carefully. Open cups I saw children competent of doing this at 12 months. I just pour milk little by little until they learn. And to avoid big spills or messes I use trays (like the ones used at fast food places).

I hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Oh my poor daycare kids! No bibs etc starting today. Luckily they are very mature despite my lacking. I have a plastic mat under the eating table so i won't worry. I'm sure the parents won't mind a stain here and there. They get grass stains outside anyway. Tx!