Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Contract wording for "paid vacation"

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has answered my questions in the past. I am truly grateful even if I haven't responded in the past. When I was new to this forum, I was having a hard time navigating this website and finding my posts. But I've gotten the hang of it now so thank you thank you. You are very helpful.

Can anyone give me a copy and paste or a sample of the wording in your contract for paid vacation? I understand as a self employed business, I shouldn't be using the words paid vacation legally. I've also checked the following website (per other posts), but I still can't figure out the specific wording.

https://homedaycarebusiness.weebly.com/contracts.html

Should I right that the daycare will be closed for 15 days due to caregiver holidays/personal days/bereavement but the first 7 days are paid? I am making the first 7 days paid starting Jan 2019 instead of a fee increase. If anyone can give me a sample and clarification, I would really appreciate it.

TIA

Euphoric !
    "The provider is entitled to 15 personal days per annum of which the initial 7 are paid. Client's will be given a minimum of X days notice of a personal day in order that they can make alternative care arrangements."

If you have a private FB group for current client's only, you can create an event for each day closed. I take all stat and public holidays, 10 paid personal days per year. I just create events for these. All stats and public holidays are created at the beginning of the year. My contracts allow for a lieu day if a stat or public holiday falls on the weekend (i.e. Canada Day this year is over the weekend so I will close, with pay, on the Monday too. Then as I book personal days, I create new events and call them "Personal day 3 of 10 - paid closure" so there's a running total for client's to see at all times.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    "The provider is entitled to 15 personal days per annum of which the initial 7 are paid. Client's will be given a minimum of X days notice of a personal day in order that they can make alternative care arrangements."

If you have a private FB group for current client's only, you can create an event for each day closed. I take all stat and public holidays, 10 paid personal days per year. I just create events for these. All stats and public holidays are created at the beginning of the year. My contracts allow for a lieu day if a stat or public holiday falls on the weekend (i.e. Canada Day this year is over the weekend so I will close, with pay, on the Monday too. Then as I book personal days, I create new events and call them "Personal day 3 of 10 - paid closure" so there's a running total for client's to see at all times.
    Thank you again! I see it is ok to use the term 'personal days' but not 'vacation days'. I wasn't to sure about that. Thanks for clarifying.

I also take all stat holidays (or the day after if it falls on a weekend). I never thought of actually mentioning the lieu day in the contract as the parents and I just assumed it so far because the day after is a stat holiday anyway. But I like the idea of actually clarifying that in my handbook. Thanks for that tip too!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnie View Post
    I also take all stat holidays (or the day after if it falls on a weekend). I never thought of actually mentioning the lieu day in the contract as the parents and I just assumed it so far because the day after is a stat holiday anyway. But I like the idea of actually clarifying that in my handbook. Thanks for that tip too!
    The day after is not a stat anyway! Canada Day is 1st July - period. The day after - Monday 2nd July - is not a stat. It's a regular day. For employees not working in vital services, they are typically given the day off under Labour Standards rules. But Labour Standards apply to employees and we are self employed. There is no automatic carry over of the day off for us unless we specifically state that in our contracts.

Your contact covers what it actually states and not what you mean it to say, so yes, I would get that corrected. In the event of a misunderstanding with a client, a clear contract is a valuable document to point out what the agreement is.

Strictly speaking, without expressly stating you close the next business day if a stat falls on the weekend, you will cross paths with a client who, even if off themselves, might plan to have a couples day and drop their child to day care. If you are closed, especially if you are expecting that to be paid, you have to be really clear about that.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 06-14-2018 at 01:40 PM.