Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Opening a Dayhome in Alberta

Hi,
    Im planning to open a dayhome do i need a business license ? do i need to open a separate bank account? i have 2 children of my own so i am allowed to have 4 more. I am thinking at the end would it be worth or should i consider looking for a job instead? please help. I am in Alberta any info in appreciated.
    Thanks in advnance

Outgoing
    Hi I'm not in Alberta and I'm not familiar with the regulations. But I would suggest to start with searching in your neighbourhood. Start searching current spot openings in this site. Use your postal code. That information will give you and idea of how much are the rates and what do they offer for that rate.

Once you have that idea then you can multiply for your 4 spots and your potential income would be reflected (in case of filling your 4 spots); also you must consider that filling up spots can take time you might start with two and then gradually add more depending on demand.

Also I personally would recommend to become familiar with homedaycare or dayhome regulations before you start.

In regards of a business license or bank accounts you can also search that online or ask to an accountant familiar with daycares. Or ask to a friendly caregiver in your neighbourhood, most of us do not mind guiding and giving information. We all need to work and we all need to support each other one way or another.��

If you love children it will be worth it, even if it would represent making way below a minimum hourly pay (specially when you start).

Also, you can search jobs available and get and idea of how much would you be doing. Then you just make your list of pros. And cons.

The biggest pro. Would be that you will spend time with your own children.

The con. That depending in the hours or job you find you might potentially need to pay for childcare.

I hope it helps. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think the limit is 6 in Alberta but you would need to check that. I do know that Alberta is the only province where household children don't count at all. So I believe you can have 6 client children regardless of how many children of your own you have.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

i have been told i can only have 4 because i have 2 of my own but thanks.

Shy
    Hi, I'm also trying to open a dayhome in September. I read online that in alberta you can have up to 6 kids not including your own.
    How long have you been advertising? I've been doing it for a couple of months and not much in response. Have you had any luck?

Hi, i am going through agency and i have been told i can only have 4 as i have 2 of my own after reading the post i checked with different agency they told me the same. No they are advertising for me i have not had any luck yet.i am hoping to open in august but not even 1 interview

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemunchkinsab View Post
    Hi, i am going through agency and i have been told i can only have 4 as i have 2 of my own after reading the post i checked with different agency they told me the same. No they are advertising for me i have not had any luck yet.i am hoping to open in august but not even 1 interview
    Ok. Now I understand. Agencies here in Ontario used to have different rules (ex. Only 5 kids including your own if they were under six years old; while private homedaycares were allowed to have 5 daycares kids and non including your own (reason for many of those caregivers potentially caring for 8 or 9 if they had 4 or more own children); now those regulation changed and many are closing.
    Our new regulation in Ontario is 6 kids for licensed caregivers including their own and 5 if they're private also including their own if they're under six y/o and in both cases only two under two years olds. This basically closed many homedaycare doors.

If you're opening with an agency then I would say it is good they will guide you and also I believe they have access to subsidies (I'm not sure if in Alberta is same); if they do then most likely they will pass those families to you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you are going through an agency, it's not uncommon that the ratios are different than if you do it alone.

If the agency has told you the limit is 4, then that's what it will be. I think the limit of 6 excluding household children is for non-agency homes.

Don't rely solely on an agency advertising for your business unless that's part of your contract with them. If it isn't, don't place the success of your business and therefore your income into the hands of a third party who isn't working exclusively for you. Be productive. It can take up to a year to fill spaces to capacity with quality clients. Less time if you are just saying yes to everyone who expresses an interest.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Looks interesting
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    Looks interesting
    Good luck
    Indeed. I will look into that.