Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Does any one ever feel like they just want to walk way from family childcare?

Hello,

I am just venting in frustration as I am having a bad day today! But, does anyone ever feel like they just want to walk away from caring for children?! Most days are great but sometimes I just feel like I would rather be doing something else.... anyone feel like this sometimes?

You are not alone. Many providers feel this and feel it often. In many ways this is a thankless job and yes, that gets to you sometimes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Thanks Judy, one of the reasons I feel this way is because most of my families are very under appreciative and it gets to be frustrating really fast. Hopefully I will sleep it off tonight and start tomorrow off fresh

Euphoric !
    This is an especially stressful time. While we are all excited to start the new year with new lessons and new ideas, maybe new materials and a change in setup over the holidays and because of those holidays all of our efforts are for naught. The kids are tired, grumpy, out of sorts, and the parents are frazzled and out of routine too. So I have to remind myself like all phases of childhood this one is temporary too and it will get better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Samantha, how are you underappreciated? I would address these issues. Your job satisfaction is very important to your mental health. I actually terminated a family for being curt and unappreciative. The mother was shocked and begged for another chance, I gave her one, and now it is working out VERY well. If you don't ask, you can't get.

Sorry you're having a bad day. I also feel sometimes that it would be easier to work outside the home, but then think of the stinky commute, putting my own kids in before/after care, and it just doesn't seem worth it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Hi Alphaghetti,

I feel I am underappreciated because today for example, at 930am I had two children (waiting for three) and in my contract there is a policy about letting me know if you are coming in by 9am. So I left the house to go and take a letter to the mail box with the two children in my care because I assumed they were not coming in as they did not contact myself. I then get a text msg from one of the parents saying she is on her way and I did not hear back from the other two. When I arrived back to my place two families were waiting for me (one just arrived and made the comment 'oh do I have perfect timing today'.

I have already sent out a reminder email about two months ago reminding families to review and acknowledge this policy (it was great for about two weeks). Now it is back to them coming anytime between 9am and 11am. This makes me just want to take whoever is here at 9am, hop on a bus and be very far away just to prove a point but I just cannot bring myself to do it.

Do you think I should send out another email reminder?

Thanks for all your help

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samantha3 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Oh yes! In fact lately everyday)) It took a month for my first dck to settle down and I've got another dck who started last week and now dealing with him. And belive me, everyday I'm quitting It will hopefully get better.

I would def. talk to them rather then send them another email. Tell them you can not run your dayhome according to their plans(of course say this in a nice way And may be introduce a late drop in fee...?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoon For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by samantha3 View Post
    Hi Alphaghetti,

I feel I am underappreciated because today for example, at 930am I had two children (waiting for three) and in my contract there is a policy about letting me know if you are coming in by 9am. So I left the house to go and take a letter to the mail box with the two children in my care because I assumed they were not coming in as they did not contact myself. I then get a text msg from one of the parents saying she is on her way and I did not hear back from the other two. When I arrived back to my place two families were waiting for me (one just arrived and made the comment 'oh do I have perfect timing today'.

I have already sent out a reminder email about two months ago reminding families to review and acknowledge this policy (it was great for about two weeks). Now it is back to them coming anytime between 9am and 11am. This makes me just want to take whoever is here at 9am, hop on a bus and be very far away just to prove a point but I just cannot bring myself to do it.

Do you think I should send out another email reminder?

Thanks for all your help
    Sorry they are taking advantage of you it really makes you feel like crap. Been there and you really should have taken your time when you got the text. I don't carry a cell due to this mentality that people have that you will be at there beck and call ASAP and for me my policy is if you want to change your schedule you must give me 12 hours notice, unless it’s an emergency

You should let them know that they must give you ample notice of any changes or there will be an additional fee involved. I used to have a parent that dropped off at the most crazy times due to be on call and I hated it as it really can ruin your day. We have routines and activities scheduled for a reason!

Know that your not alone but you need to speak to these parents in person regarding this issue. How would they feel if their boss changed their schedule on them last minute?

Or how would they feel if at pick up your weren’t there due to taking your time at the park! LOL

Hang in there we love you!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

We all have these days and then we look at the children and the love they have for you and we realize tomorrow will be better. I have had similar issues with parents and I put a note on the front door reminding them of my policies and I send home a note in their bags also. Some parents catch on right away while others take a little longer and they are the ones that are put out because I am out with the children. I will not wait around and I put a note on the door to let them know where I am and they can decide if they want to find me. I have had parents comment that I am at home so it does not matter as much if they arrive on time for drop off or arrive late for pick up. I remind them that I have responsibilities to my family and that I have arrangements for after work and plans for the children in the morning. You are a very important part in the children's lives and parents do realize this. Hang in there

16. The Following User Says Thank You to horsegirl For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My playroom is in the basement and I was having the same issue. We hung out upstairs doing stuff waiting for the last kids to arrive by which time it was often barely worth it to bother going down by the time we cleaned up upstairs. The moms on mat leave are the worst. They want their child to stay in care for socialization and learning time and then bring them after freeplay and circletime is over and then wonder why the others have crafts to take home and their child doesn't.

I now have a rule that I go down to the playroom at 9am and do not leave the kids to answer the door so don't bother coming late and ringing. One day of making the trip to my house baby in tow only to have to go back home and she has never been late since.

And yes I have gone to the park or years ago it involved walking kids to school so once we were gone we were gone. I always took a "different" route home with lots of pathways - ie off the main roads just because. Sometimes spite can do wonders for our moods.

Like children words either verbal or on paper are just that words and as the saying goes "actions speak louder than words". Sometimes you need to show the parents that you are serious about enforcing a rule for them to actually realize you meant them too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: