Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunscreen?

Starting to feel at home...

Sunscreen?

Hi everybody,
    I am starting my daycare next month. I have been working endlessly it seems on my policies and I was just wondering if you all provide sunscreen? Or do you ask each child to bring their own? Or if you ask for a specific amount of $ from each parent every spring?

It seems like such a small priority but I feel like with providing 2 snacks, lunch and everything else it seems like one more thing to pay for. It's not like this is a lucrative business by any means.

Thanks!
    Sheena

Hello,

I ask that the parents bring in a bottle of sunscreen each year for their child. It gets expensive, some children have sensitive skin and only use a certain brand etc... I just find it easier if they provide it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to samantha3 For This Useful Post:

Hi! I make parents provide everything other than food! Each child has a cubby and everything they might need ( sunscreen, diaper cream, chopstick etc.) stays in there. Each child must also have a hat that remains here. My contract states that we go outside everyday and that each child must have appropriate clothing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily3 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Same as the others, I make parents provide suncreen for their own kids. Aside from the cost, I wouldn't want to be liable for anything if the child has a reaction to it etc. I always had to provide it when my kids were in daycare.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I ask parents to provide it. That way they get the brand they want and if the child reacts or gets a sunburn because the spf wasn't high enough it isnt' my fault. Now having said that I tend to take the kids outside after nap in the afternoon when the yard is mostly shaded and not so hot which helps too.

Thank you for replying.

I guess my concern with that would be always keeping them separate, having to go to 4 different bottles. I would think it would just be easier to have one bottle that I can just slather each kid from. But I never really thought about the liability concerning reactions and such. Hmmmm so much to think about!

Euphoric !
    Get one of those utilitiy type bins used with cleaning supplies and stand all the bottles in it - label each one in bold names. I dont' wash between kids so there is some contamination but I tend to the ones with the sensitive skin or the pickiest parents first. And if two or more are using the same kind I have been known to use on bottle on both one day and the other bottle on both the next so it balances out.

I was given the idea and now have it in my contract that the parents must apply sunscreen to their child in the morning before coming to daycare and that I will then reapply as necessary. It makes sense to me because I have to apply sunscreen to my own children before I put them on the school bus, so why shouldn't they before they bring their child to me.

Sheena the parents provide the sunscreen. I request 30SPF in a spray (not the aerosol). I do a little dance if they all come with the same brand. I have the parents apply the first coat in the morning then I use the same bottle on all of the kids for that day, the next day we move on to the next bottle and so on. If I have someone with sensitive skin I slather them up first from their own bottle. Sometimes we are dealing with first time parents and they don't know the ropes so we can help steer them in the right direction.
    Not the babysitter!

Quote Originally Posted by olivetree View Post
    Thank you for replying.

I guess my concern with that would be always keeping them separate, having to go to 4 different bottles. I would think it would just be easier to have one bottle that I can just slather each kid from. But I never really thought about the liability concerning reactions and such. Hmmmm so much to think about!
    Yep, it gets to be more work than it's worth. I provide sunscreen AND wipes. One, I can write it off so the whole $30 a summer in sunscreen really isn't worth the hassle of me going to find five different bottles twice a day (same with wipes). And two, I like to use Sunscreen that I know is safe for kids and actually works.

In this job, things like saving TIME is huge to my job satisfaction.