Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Naptime screaching

Hi providers,
    I have a new little guy that started with me a couple months ago and all was well. But recently he has decided that he will only nap for 60 minutes at nap time. Then spends the rest of the nap time screaming and screatching. My other kiddos are great sleepers and sleep through it, but I am losing my marbles listening to him make that noise for another hour. It doesn't matter if i go in and sooth him or just leave him. Hes spends the remainder of nap screaming. I cant get him up either, because this is my break time and he really needs the sleep. He is almost 15 months. So he also wont play quietly if I do get him up from nap early.
    So I guess my question is, how do I get him to just lay quietly during nap? Instead of screaming bloody murder.

Euphoric !
    Some children need more sleep than others. It really is as simple as that. If he's resting for a full hour then it might well be that he's had sufficient sleep.

While I do understand that this is your break, the expectation of a 2 hour break is high. Most adults have 30-60 mins lunch break and fortunately you have got that. There are times in this business that we have non-nappers and this might be one of them.

I personally have a 2 hour rest period in my day home and all children are expected to rest however if someone wakes up before the end of the rest time, then I do permit them to come and play quietly. While of course that is an interruption of my time, it's better that those who actually need to sleep are allowed to. I'd rather have a shorter break than an afternoon of over tired children whose rest was poor.

The other option is to make morning's much busier so he's actually tired enough to rest for the time you are hoping to have to yourself. Having a busy outdoor time during the morning is the best way of achieving this.

Other than that you are going to have to get used to his upset and hope that in a short span of time, leaving him to self settle when he wakes will work. It's unrealistic to expect an awake 15 month old lays quietly so either you are going to have to train him to go back to sleep when he wakes or you are going to have to get used to the noise, or you are going to have to let him get up and play. Personally, I'm not okay with leaving a child who to cry for a whole hour especially at that age.

Outgoing
    The other option is to make morning's much busier so he's actually tired enough to rest for the time you are hoping to have to yourself. Having a busy outdoor time during the morning is the best way of achieving this.*
    Hi, I agree with Suzie_Homemaker, lately my last groups of children are boys:0)

They're very energetic and I just wait for them outdoors no matter the weather, it really has to be awful for us not to be out. We do walks, visit the parks earlier and comeback by lunch time. After lunch most of them are ready to nap (toddlers and babies), and my preschoolers do mostly table top quiet art or work. I do not have any break, I eat when I can or when the babies go bed. And after I focus on my preschool kids and prep. My afternoon snacks, a daily log, and anything important. When all wake up do the potty training and feed them and work on a group activity such as putting together a.big puzzle or learning other skills. Until moms and dad's come.

If a baby wakes up in the middle of the nap time he just joins the older group.

Once the last child leaves my home, then I carry on with my very own time. (Cup of tea, a treat, or go for a nap, a diner out or read a book, etc)

Euphoric !
    When I first opened my day home, for the first 7 years, my client's were mainly boys. Most times I had one or two girls max. As a mother of 4 boys myself, I am used to the bustle.

We are outside by 9am latest. And we stay outside until about 10 mins before lunch - in all weathers. We are out if it's raining, we are out if it's snowing. The only time we don't go out is if it's raining really hard or freezing cold - and even then we have been known to go out just for shorter times.

We walk. No destination required. Find a loop, find a track, find a local play park even if it's a 45 mins walk from home. Keep them moving.

We have a small house but lots of land so I do understand that makes it easier. We also have a cleared and fenced area with play houses, outside play structures, swings, slides, mud kitchens, graveled areas which we use in the afternoons. Children sleep better when tired just as children eat better when hungry. Switch it up but keep them moving and it will be a big help with those nap issues.

Outgoing
    I personally find sad when I see caregivers complaining about this;

1. Some caregivers (I know); want the kids to be quiet, easy going and better if they're nappers and come to daycare already tired which according to them it is even better.

2. Parents expect to pick up their child also tired from their daycare activities. Hoping to put them in bed sooner and sleep through the night.

But, those little bodies cannot be all the time tired, they're energetic, happy, active. Some need more time to sleep some don't and some in between, some are in growing pains and other pains which is proper of a developing body.

I don't think there was a real education or advise to adults that children can be happy and joyful but, also demand a lot time, attention, patience and lots of love. And that's what makes our work so especial
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 09-19-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Euphoric !
    Exactly.

*If* you get a two hour period of time when children nap, be grateful because it won't last. There will be times when some client's are pre-primary, there will be times some client's aren't nappers. Bank on having quiet time but to expect two hours break isn't reasonable. Wrong business if you want assurances of that.

Outgoing
    recently he has decided that he will only nap for 60 minutes at nap time. Then spends the rest of the nap time screaming and screatching. My other kiddos are great sleepers and sleep through it, but I am losing my marbles listening to him make that noise for another hour.*
    By the way Ermchatts, I just read sgain your posting. If you haven't informed yourself please do so asap. You cannot keep children confined on nap cots or playpens screaming or crying for more than 20 minutes (or it is considered child negligence / abuse). Read the Day Nurseries act. Or CCEYA doc. In this province. I'm sure you'll find similar regulations in your province if you're not from Ontario. That regulation applies for everyone in the childcare sector (homedaycares and centres too), obviously centres are easier they have extra staff but also a lunch break when I was working was just 15 to 30 minutes st the most. Even when everyone naps I had to do reports, monitor sleeping babies, get the afternoon activities ready etc. And I still keep doing the very same in my house.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 09-20-2018 at 12:48 PM.