Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Difficult decision

Hi fellow daycare providers!

This is my first post here, but I have browsed some posts previously.
    I ran full time daycare at max or almost max capacity since 2011, then started just doing part time or before and after school care two years ago.
    I was wondering at what point you all would let a daycare child/children go?

I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to bad mouth other people's children, but have you/would you stop having a daycare child because they just didn't 'fit' with your family or because their situation/hours won't work as you originally had thought.

My parents and Husband always tell me 'The parents wouldn't give it a second thought if they had a better option come up.' Whether it be financially, location or hours. I have had this happen a couple of times, so I do believe that, but I also am not a person that feels ok about letting people down, so I am torn right now.

Euphoric !
    Over many years I have learned to be firm and there are some things I will not bend on and other things I will not tolerate. And yes - it is okay to let someone go who doesn't fit your group or service. And I agree with your family that every single client will depart your care the moment your service doesn't suit them. That might be because they are moving out of area, taking time off for mat leave, changing employer and need different hours or have found somewhere cheaper.

I have business hours. If someone needs care beyond those hours, I am not obligated to provide them. If I decide that I can accommodate their changed needs, there will be a cost for the extended hours because no one works for free, and a new contract will be issues.

Either party (client or me) can end the contract with 4 weeks written notice. Fees are due regardless of attendance during the notice period as they are any other time in my care.

The ability to terminate care immediately with no notice is available to ME not them, if they are late with their payments, if they are late picking up their child, if they dose and drop their child to hide symptoms of illness, if their child is aggressive to anyone in the home - adult, child or animal, if the parent is aggressive (verbally or physically) towards anyone in the home. Since all of these things are fully in the control of the client, in the event of a contract being terminated immediately, a penalty equal to 4 weeks notice is due although they have no option to attend.

I will add that I don't terminate immediately for a late collection or a late payment but the option is there if it becomes an on-going issue. My contracts have penalties too - late payment incurs a fee of $10 per day with refusal to accept the child into the day home until all fees have been paid. No fees = no care. Also, if a client is late picking up their child, there is a penalty of $1 per minute beginning immediately after closing time with no grace period. I don't give a grace period because there's always going to be that one parent who comes all the time at 5.04pm if there's a 5 min grace time. Arriving at that time is going to cost them $4 per child. Come at 5.10pm, and it's going to be $10 late collection fee. If it happens more than twice, I will terminate them.

I don't work for client's. I have a business, which offers a specific service between certain hours of the day. They want this service. Our contract is for me to provide my service during my hours and get paid on time.

Thank you for your reply.
    I like how you are so strict with your rules, I'm a huge pushover!

I have only had said family in my care (two boys aged 5, before and after school Mon-Fri and 13 months, 2.5 days a week) for the past two weeks after doing a trial period. The 5 year old is friends with one of my sons.
    The 13 month old is usually either with his Mum/Dad or his Grandma, so other than the 2.5 days he's with me I'm guessing he gets pretty much undivided attention and I can't give him that, he doesn't nap at all and so the result of this is crazed squealing/crying and yelling everytime he is told not to do something or I'm not paying him attention. I'm not sure he's going to get used to it either because he goes right back to being with family Friday afternoon through until Wednesday and so the cycle begins again. He also stomped on our cat and bit his ear the first day he was here, now my cat keeps away from him!

The older one is also a little bit difficult, he kicks/hits my son at least once a day and he also kicked our cat (maybe where baby brother learned it?) and isn't exactly respectful of the house or anything in it. I speak to him about his behaviour everytime, but he does it again the following day or the day after that.
    We are also currently staying with my parents whilst our new house is being built, they work from home and are having a hard time doing so with the 13 month old's screaming.

I had a message from a lady asking about after school care for her children and I had told her the spaces had been filled, but she asked me to let her know if that didn't work out, so I did message her yesterday asking if she is still looking for care and she is, so I'm wondering if that would work out better at least while we are staying with my parents, but I feel guilty for letting the other family down, so I was just wondering other people's opinions on how much they put up with from a daycare client before giving them notice.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Meme86 View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    I like how you are so strict with your rules, I'm a huge pushover!

I have only had said family in my care (two boys aged 5, before and after school Mon-Fri and 13 months, 2.5 days a week) for the past two weeks after doing a trial period. The 5 year old is friends with one of my sons.
    The 13 month old is usually either with his Mum/Dad or his Grandma, so other than the 2.5 days he's with me I'm guessing he gets pretty much undivided attention and I can't give him that, he doesn't nap at all and so the result of this is crazed squealing/crying and yelling everytime he is told not to do something or I'm not paying him attention. I'm not sure he's going to get used to it either because he goes right back to being with family Friday afternoon through until Wednesday and so the cycle begins again. He also stomped on our cat and bit his ear the first day he was here, now my cat keeps away from him!

The older one is also a little bit difficult, he kicks/hits my son at least once a day and he also kicked our cat (maybe where baby brother learned it?) and isn't exactly respectful of the house or anything in it. I speak to him about his behaviour everytime, but he does it again the following day or the day after that.
    We are also currently staying with my parents whilst our new house is being built, they work from home and are having a hard time doing so with the 13 month old's screaming.

I had a message from a lady asking about after school care for her children and I had told her the spaces had been filled, but she asked me to let her know if that didn't work out, so I did message her yesterday asking if she is still looking for care and she is, so I'm wondering if that would work out better at least while we are staying with my parents, but I feel guilty for letting the other family down, so I was just wondering other people's opinions on how much they put up with from a daycare client before giving them notice.
    Your client's would have already been shown the door here. My thoughts, in no particular order :-

1. If any child is intentionally hurting my family (or their peers) including pets, they are in time out fast as can be. They will be required to act as my shadow until such a time I think they have understand. I am not having a discussion with them or talking about the issue - I am stating clearly and concisely that "We do not hurt in this house." End of discussion. I don't care what they think made them do it, they aren't doing it here. Every single time.

2. There is no option to be disrespectful of my home. I have never let a 5 year old run my house before and just because a parent is handing me money, I am not letting their child run my house either. For the small amount of money you get for before and after school care - it would take many months of his fees to replace a damaged couch or carpet. Be firm. He is not in charge.

3. With regards to the 13 month old - there would not be an option to miss nap time. If grandma wants to spoil him on her day and put up with a miserable tired child, that's on her but on day care days, he would be in a crib during the rest period.

Get rid of them. For before and after school 5 days a week and for all day care for half the week, these two children are taking up spaces and only paying part time rates. You don't need this level of disrespect.

Expansive...
    I completely agree with Suzie Homemaker!
    They would have been gone by now with my rules.
    Firstly, an infant needs a nap, whether the parents think so, or not. Put the child and a crib or playpen during regular nap hours.
    The aggressive behaviour, whether it be directed at your pet or child, would have had them terminated instantly at the first instance, especially coming from a 5 yr old who knows better.
    Move on with new clients, and don't look back.

Thanks for your responses.
    I have put him in a playpen at naptime, but he screams the entire time and my two year old can't nap because he's so loud. He woke her up yesterday and today. I started off putting him in a bedroom with the door almost closed, then because of the screaming I put him downstairs in the dining room with the door closed, but he high pitch squeals and yells to the point he starts gagging and he's only left in there for 10 minutes before I check on him, but he just gets himself in such a mess.
    I am going to give her notice to terminate the agreement.
    I was worried I was being dramatic or unfair giving notice so soon after they started here, but you have assured me.