Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Learning Milestones..

At what age do you find your kids (or dcks) learned their alphabet. Like identifing the letters, not just memorizing the song.

At what age should they know their numbers? shapes?

Anybody with experience want to share?
    Last edited by KingstonMom; 01-06-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: sp

Euphoric !
    Very large variety on this one. In the grand scheme of things as long as they know most of that as of June before school I am ok. A lot depends on their language development. I have a two year old with poor verbal language but can point to all the shapes and colours I ask for so it is hard to know exactly what info is really in their head. My three year olds know about 10 colours, 8 shapes, can count to 10 - and 15 most days and recognize 1-5 and 10. They know the letter their name starts with and most of the other kids names and a few others. Letters is the last thing I teach so up to this point it is only what they have absorbed more indirectly from our other lessons.

I wouldn't expect a child under 2 to know much of this although some do. Around 20 months seems to be the ideal time to start into the circletime/academics side of things once they are starting to think more beyond themselves.

Outgoing
    It's hard to say - every kid is so different.

I have a 4 yr old in my care who doesn't really know her letters or numbers or how to spell her name. My own almost 3 yr old can tell me most letters or numbers when I ask her about them and can even spell her name. I also have a 21 mth old in my care who can barely say a word but yet I have a just-turned 2 yr old who has been talking well for months. It really varies.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by KingstonMom View Post
    At what age do you find your kids (or dcks) learned their alphabet. Like identifing the letters, not just memorizing the song.

At what age should they know their numbers? shapes?

Anybody with experience want to share?
    It really does depend on the child & especially there verbal abilities. I watch a 2 year old who is as verbal as most 3 year olds but just doesn't hold the attention span of a 3 year old. Another 2 year old can't quite talk yet. I would say 3-4years is a good rang and sometimes as young as 2 1/2!