Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Child pickup when sent home for illness

I’m curious to know if any of you have a time frame for pickup of sick children specified in your contract?
    I had a very frustrating experience with a sick child with a high fever where neither parents were answering their phones or texts, or responding to my voicemail.
    It took almost 1.5 hours to get a parent here,and about 75 minutes before any parent would return my call.
    That child’s fever was so high I thought for sure I’d be calling an ambulance due to febrile seizure.
    My clients all work about 5-25 minutes away. This parent was not at work while I tried to contact them.
    I’ve never had an issue with any of my clients before.
    What would you do if the parents don’t answer their phones during an emergency?
    Thanks for the feedback!

Outgoing
    You don't have an "other emergency numbers in case parents aren't reached "; usually I get mom and dad's cell, house, work phone numbers then two other emergency numbers in case they can't be reached and the child's doctor office number.

So I'm pretty sure I can reach any if them in case of emergency.

Expansive...
    @Peacefulbird- they don’t have a home phone and use their cell phones as work numbers as well, so only reachable on cells. One works at home and is self employed. Emergency contacts are grandparents living out of province so not much help.

Euphoric !
    I require a work and cell number for each parent. I don't care if they don't have a landline but I want a main switchboard number if their cells are off for meetings and it's an emergency. I also require a back up adult, who is local, and able to come.
    Parents are expected to pick up their child within 60 mins max of being contacted.

Their work must have a main switchboard number.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Out of province grandparents are NOT emergency contacts. You need to get a local contact asap. If they truly have no family and no friends they will have to ask a neighbor or a coworker to be that contact so you can get a person to answer the phone and either get to the parents or get to the child asap.

Explain to the parents that had this been a bigger emergency their child would have been sent to the hospital alone (you remain with other children in care) and their child would have had strangers caring for them for an hour before they found out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    You don't have an "other emergency numbers in case parents aren't reached "; usually I get mom and dad's cell, house, work phone numbers then two other emergency numbers in case they can't be reached and the child's doctor office number.

So I'm pretty sure I can reach any if them in case of emergency.
    Oh no! Out of province? I do not accept that. I had parents that just moved in "no friends or family", so they got me their manager or boss numbers as emergency and someone with out friends had to ask someone at their work which they just started.

I make sure by asking which of the parents is closer or reachable sooner (I keep that number in red ink). Some emergency contacts I got were temporary just until they got to know more people and then switched.

I always remind parents that I do my best in taking care their children but, also they have the responsibility of backing me up 100% in emergency cases. If a parent cannot be reached by any reason then someone from our group (other parent) will step up (either staying with the group of children in case I had to suddenly leave or them following the child that had to leave in a extreme life treating emergency until the child parents can be reached). The procedure is call/text first patents if not reachable, emergency contacts if not reachable our group back up parents.

I created a little community, the parents know each other and when I have new ones I make sure to introduce and let them chat (many have become best friends that way too).
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 11-21-2018 at 06:37 AM.

They have one (1) hour to arrive or have someone here to pick up, from the time I contact them. After the hour late fees apply.

When I call, if I can't get a hold of a parent within 10min, I start calling emergency contacts.
    Last edited by BlueRose; 12-03-2018 at 07:24 AM.