Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TV/educational application suggestions?

So, I have just introduced a TV (gifted to me) to our daycare space. My last intention is to simply pop movies on and plop the children in front. But, I'm all for anything that makes learning fun! They love their turns at our IPad learning station! Hoping for ideas on plug and play/educational applications that you may use in conjunction with a TV? Or any great learning DVDs (my plan is to utilize my local library for a variety of those). Thanks so much.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Leap frog has a lot of plug in games like the leapTV. Fisher price has a bike. Smart Cycle. They have to cycle to move the car etc. it's fun and great to get moving when stuck inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    So, I have just introduced a TV (gifted to me) to our daycare space. My last intention is to simply pop movies on and plop the children in front. But, I'm all for anything that makes learning fun! They love their turns at our IPad learning station! Hoping for ideas on plug and play/educational applications that you may use in conjunction with a TV? Or any great learning DVDs (my plan is to utilize my local library for a variety of those). Thanks so much.
    Exciting receiving anything as a gift!! There are so many great things on the ipad that I'm sure you already utilize. Even in Kindergarten a lot of school boards are using certain apps as part of their regular curriculum. Do you have any before and after kids because I only really know programs for K+. How have your parents taken to going from a tv free play space to this new addition? I don't have a tv in my playroom and never have in all the different spaces I have had over the years. The kids get @ 20 minutes if at all while I put lunch together and I'm old school loving Sesame Street and I will sometimes go onto a uk website called "cbeebies" as they have loads of awesome episodes and it gets me all a bit nostalgic back from when my kids were little That's probably good site to checkout for toddler and preschool educational learning for the tv.

Euphoric !
    We are upstairs in the morning and than for a bit before last pick ups. They get to watch cartoons then.

The dc tv is hardly ever on. In fact, it's been well over a year since it had been on. However, I started doing yoga with them in January so we watch YouTube yoga videos on it now through the wii.

Euphoric !
    I limit tv to 30min a day (my DCG is a tv junkie), I really like the Leap Frog shows. They introduce key concepts (colours, shapes, numbers, letters) in a musical, fun way. They use a lot of vocabulary for the kids that I try to use as often as I can throughout the day as well. The kids love it. You might find those at the library. We use Netflix (no cable), they have a few episodes on there.

That's about all I have to suggest, aside from Leap Frog, some youtube learning videos I pretty much limit shows to Caillou and Barney as they are slow moving enough to not overwhelm their little brains as much as most of todays shows!

Yes, we have no cable either...the other TV in the house is rarely on. I love the yoga ideas and the video ideas! As for the question on Parent reaction: Of course, didn't have a TV before, but honestly have never thought to promote my space as TV free. We would wander upstairs before for the odd movie (for my group that means about 10 min. Max of sitting still viewing) time (usually in conjunction with PJ Friday's). I'll be keeping an ear out for any negative feedback for sure.

~Anonymous~

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    Yes, we have no cable either...the other TV in the house is rarely on. I love the yoga ideas and the video ideas! As for the question on Parent reaction: Of course, didn't have a TV before, but honestly have never thought to promote my space as TV free. We would wander upstairs before for the odd movie (for my group that means about 10 min. Max of sitting still viewing) time (usually in conjunction with PJ Friday's). I'll be keeping an ear out for any negative feedback for sure.
    If you have never labelled your daycare as TV FREE then I doubt anyone would be concerned. I've just had a large number of parents who during the telephone interview stage ask me if there is a tv in the daycare space. Those are the people who would likely not be okay with a tv. Each to their own. I think technology has its place and everything in moderation is fine. I was heavily restricted in this department as a child and so now I'm a bit of a junkie if I allow myself. My husband on the other hand grew up with tv on all the time and he is rarely interested in it now. I think any parent who has a concern is really just worried about viewing time. The fear of being babysat by the tv all day which probably does happen sometimes. Maybe even putting together an info sheet on how it is used along with other technology would curb their worry, likely open their eyes to how productive it can be. My friends younger brother was all but deaf till he was 3 when he had grommets put in his ears. He really struggled to learn to talk until his therapist suggested particular tv shows and wow what a difference in his vocabulary once that became a regular component of his learning program. So that is a perfect example of how it can be very positive. I wouldn't worry though, I'm sure your families will be fine. I just remember when I started business nearly every parent asked me about tv. I even have a policy in my contract. I'm a paper person all the way, but my son uses a lot of software for learning and enrichment which is so vital for his success. Anyone with a child who loves math or logical reasoning should check out spirit math-JK+ (app or online), dream box Pre K-JK+ (app) and Math genie (online). bbc kids also has some great games to teach touch typing with sounds and music. I'm sure they'd have all sorts of other games and shows too. Okay so they are more computer oriented but if you hooked it up to the tv you could utilize more things without necessarily having to invest more money into buying add ons.

I completely understand how parents would be concerned. Very valid. A good thing to keep in mind for new clients especially. For current families I post all kinds of pictures daily of all the things we are doing; I think that reassures them that the day is full and well-rounded. I cued up an action song this morning and we had a blast!

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    Don't know if you would be able to access it, but 'The Learning Station' on Youtube has all sorts of action songs. My kids love them, I put them on when we can't go outside to play in the morning due to the weather. I like it better than just cartoon, even educational ones, because it encourages movement, dancing and singing. I have an Apple TV box that allows Youtube to stream on my TV.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    Don't know if you would be able to access it, but 'The Learning Station' on Youtube has all sorts of action songs. My kids love them, I put them on when we can't go outside to play in the morning due to the weather. I like it better than just cartoon, even educational ones, because it encourages movement, dancing and singing. I have an Apple TV box that allows Youtube to stream on my TV.
    Thanks for sharing that...sounds awesome!