I took on a PT family when I was just babysitting. When I decided to run a full time daycare with a quality program, I kept them on (had them agree to a handbook, set hours) and found other part timers to fill in the rest. I need to terminate one PTer to accommodate an extra day they need (they want 2 of his 8 days/month-this would be a financial loss for me), or have them withdraw, and terminate the others in order to take a full time child.

I'm so frustrated with the situation, I want to term them all and do full time only. I would like this to end nicely, as its a very small town. If I give a months notice, plus the option for them to withdraw without notice if they find new care sooner, is that fair? My contract says 2 weeks with pay, and that either party can terminate for any reason with 2 weeks notice. How should I word the letter? I plan on making it about the children-difficult for them to adjust to different playmates/routines. In reality, it is every part-financial burden of spots, stress of scheduling 5 kids in 2 spots, problem behaviour that is difficult to fix with only occasional care, and problem parents (complaining, stretching contract, coming early/late, etc).