Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Dropoff/pickup times always changing

I have a family who told me during the interview that their dropoff/pickup times would be XXX-XXX(total of about 7 hrs) In the last few weeks, the parent had to stay later at work for a project, but I was told we would go back to normal times. The project is now over, and the child's pickup time is about 1.5 hrs later than usual, and about 2.5 hrs after the pickup parent is done work. This child doesn't function well after a certain time in the day(about 15 minutes after the original pickup time), and whines/cries and needs one on one care after that time for the last 1.5 hrs of my day. I might add that the parent has not informed me verbally that the hours will be different for the day, and figures they can come/go as they please within my operating hours. My question is, do I have a right to challenge the parent on the pickup times now that the project is over, and I know the pickup parent is at home 2 hrs before I close? I picked this family specifically because their hours were shorter, and the child wouldn't be here right until closing. Suggestions on how to talk to this parent please? At the very least, I figure they need to tell me that hours are changing for the day, and maybe I need to revise the contract.

Euphoric !
    Even though I charge for the day, not hours, I still have it in my contract that I expect pick up to be shortly after their shift ends and not my closing time unless need be. When I worked in centres, this was common. Parents had 15 minutes before and after their shifts to drop off/pick up. It was of course more so for numbers so we could plan ahead and schedule staff to meet ratios but I stuck it in my contract anyways. Most of the times I've had parents who stick to this but the odd time they will run an errand but usually send me a text first saying "going to grocery store, will be a few mins later than normal" and it's fine. However, there have been the parents who wait right until the last second even though they don't have too. Right or wrong, it drives me crazy lol!! It's like if you worked in retail....that last minute customer always drove you nuts!!

If I know that my latest child is leaving early, I will schedule an appt or make plans with a friend etc....that sometimes bites me in the butt though because that will be the day that a parent who normally picks up an hour before closing, picks up 5 mins to closing!

I have considered for new clients, switching to contracted hours but I haven't yet. Maybe that is something that you would like better too?

Euphoric !
    For myself I am open from 7:30-5. I do not have any particular set times I expect families to pickup or drop off. Most stick to a fairly normal schedule in that I know roughly when to expect them but if they are early or later than usual (as long as it is within my working hours) I don't worry about it. I do have in my contract that I expect parents to pickup before 5 and not to wait until 5 to get here. I used to worry about it but now I just continue on with my day. If your child is here fine, if not oh well, they miss out on what we are doing. It does annoy me though when I have the kids and I know parents are not at work but what can I do about it.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    My question is, do I have a right to challenge the parent on the pickup times now that the project is over, and I know the pickup parent is at home 2 hrs before I close? I picked this family specifically because their hours were shorter, and the child wouldn't be here right until closing. Suggestions on how to talk to this parent please? At the very least, I figure they need to tell me that hours are changing for the day, and maybe I need to revise the contract.
    Legally, no, you don't have a right to challenge this parent unless your agreement for the shorter hours is clearly reflected in the contract with an expected pick up time.

Although we all would be tempted by the shorter hours and a bug miffed if that arrangement ended, bottom line is, what is in the contract is all that's enforceable.

You can certainly try and speak to them though and explain that one of the reasons you took them was the shorter hours and you can state that their child isn't functioning well with the longer hours, and that takes you away from the others. Maybe they will make an effort to come at the original time if they understand their child isn't adjusting to the change. You are hard pushed to enforce the earlier pick up unless that is stated in the contract. If they pay the all day rate, then it's not unreasonable that they have the whole days care.

I'm similar to Micky - My core business hours are 7.30am until 4.30pm. I know roughly when each child will come and leave but as long as it's in business hours, no big deal. I do require notice if they are going to be later than 9am as we go out, and I won't hang around wondering if someone is coming if they aren't here by then, so if they need me to hold on, they'd better be in touch or no one will be home until lunchtime. I do have a few military who drop at 7am because parking around the base is dreadful, but their contracts state "Agreement has been reached that you may drop your child no earlier than 7am without charge but the expectation is that you pick up your child no later than 4pm. This is a fixed daily arrangement and therefore showing up on the odd day at regular opening time does not extend your arrangement to regular closing time. For those joining the day care with the agreement of an earlier start, there is no care available after 4pm. If this is no longer your requirement, please let me know and a new contract can be issued for core hours only for both drop off and collection".
    Last edited by Rachael; 12-15-2014 at 02:58 PM.

k8who
    I appreciate when parents let me know whey they are picking up / dropping off as it helps me plan the day. It's frustrating when they arrive hours early or late even if it is within my open hours. Its hard to plan the day!! But unfortunately it happens.. and I feel there really isn't much we can do about it. You could certainly have a friendly chat with her and just state that you've noticed that her hours have changed and little one seems to have a hard time after X amount of hours here... simply ask will your pick up time remain this late ongoing?

she'll get the hint.