Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shy
    Our dinner is always ready by 530.. Monday to Friday I live for the crockpot.. 10 mins prep in the morning and dinner cooks all day with very little effort, or its a frozen meal pulled from the freezer ( I batch cook meals once a month, lasagna, chili, stew, pulled pork etc).. Or a salad with something bbq when hubby gets home to man the grill..

My girl is only one so she just goes with the flow but she needs time alone with us especially daddy who works long hours so I think I will ensure this kid is gone by 6pm.. which mom said would probably be the case when I took him

If I were you, I would change my hours (if possible). i would ask the late pickup childs parents if they could pick up or have someone pickup by 5:30pm. Given he is not an "eater" at your house, I would find that situation a little awkward and annoying to have another child in the other room watching a show or playing while you are having family dinner. Not to mention maybe thats where the annoying would come in, it would be VERY difficult for me to be engaged in super @ 5:30 and have a daycare child in the livingroom. Eating and watching for the parent to pick up, or eating and trying to pay attention to your husband and daughter and have the daycare child need you as well. TOO STRESSFUL! and too much interferance with your personal time...just change your hours...if possible.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by DORITOSGIRL View Post
    Hi
    I am curious.. What time does your family eat dinner.

I have two full time daycare kids. One is gone by 530 at the latest and the other 6 to 630..

I really did not think it through when I accepted the offer to take care of the later kid.

He arrives between 830 and 9am and his dad picks up between 6 to 630.. My hubby works 6am to 4 Monday to Thurs and 6am to 1 on Fridays.. He is the type not to eat all day long so he is starving when he gets home.

Up until I started daycare we ate at 5 as when I worked as a server my hours were 630am to 2ish 4 days a week.

We have tried holding off dinner until the late kid goes home but we are both starving and my one year old goes to bed around 715 to 730 so 630 dinner is too late for her.

This week we started eating dinner immediately after the first kid goes home ( its never later than 530 and usually earlier) I offer the remaining kid a snack or a drink but I feel so guilty eating dinner in front of him.

Do you all wait until the kids are gone or do you eat your meal?
    I think it's very unprofessional.

As a business owner, you fully have control over the hours you work. You agreed to work for this family until 6.30pm. While I understand you are used to eating earlier, you aren't available earlier because you are still working and being paid to provide child care.

You are at work. It is not family time. It is not personal time. It is not supper hour for you.

It's very unprofessional to sit and have a meal with your family during your business hours. It's worse if you are preparing it in business hours too but I'm assuming your partner is doing that. If your family is starving, then they can eat but it wouldn't be tolerated in a work place for you to sit down with your family during work hours and have a meal in front of a customer because you are hungry!

Your husband could feed your one year old and then you could do bed time and eat supper together. The reason you feel guilty eating your dinner in front of the one remaining client is because you know deep down it's the wrong thing to do.

Or since your husband knows he finishes work long before you, he's going to have to be a big boy and decide to eat during the day because he knows his wife remains at work until 6.30pm and isn't available to eat with him any earlier. There's lots of ways you can deal with the consequences of the decision to work later - none of which are to cease doing your job and have a meal with your family because the adults didn't eat during the day/are used to eating earlier/didn't consider that they would need to work around this commitment.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 07-31-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Shy
    You're responding to a post from 2012 because this thread was bumped up by spam bots...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    I think it's very unprofessional.

As a business owner, you fully have control over the hours you work. You agreed to work for this family until 6.30pm. While I understand you are used to eating earlier, you aren't available earlier because you are still working and being paid to provide child care.

You are at work. It is not family time. It is not personal time. It is not supper hour for you.

It's very unprofessional to sit and have a meal with your family during your business hours. It's worse if you are preparing it in business hours too but I'm assuming your partner is doing that. If your family is starving, then they can eat but it wouldn't be tolerated in a work place for you to sit down with your family during work hours and have a meal in front of a customer because you are hungry!

Your husband could feed your one year old and then you could do bed time and eat supper together. The reason you feel guilty eating your dinner in front of the one remaining client is because you know deep down it's the wrong thing to do.

Or since your husband knows he finishes work long before you, he's going to have to be a big boy and decide to eat during the day because he knows his wife remains at work until 6.30pm and isn't available to eat with him any earlier. There's lots of ways you can deal with the consequences of the decision to work later - none of which are to cease doing your job and have a meal with your family because the adults didn't eat during the day/are used to eating earlier/didn't consider that they would need to work around this commitment.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdngirl For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks. OMG, the spam here is just terrible. Worse than any other forum I know.

Shy
    Yeah it's really bad. Seems the owner of the site isn't doing much and the moderator seems to have checked out as well.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by DORITOSGIRL View Post

Do you all wait until the kids are gone or do you eat your meal?

This won't be the popular answer but YES. Until the children leave, I am working. I wouldn't work outside the home and be cooking dinner on the clock. If you agreed to work until 6pm, then to me, you are working until 6pm.

That said - I don't do household tasks or errands during my work day. I don't do laundry or change my bed or cook for my family. I'm at work!