Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Thumbs up Food, throwing, spilling and getting up from the table while still eating,

Do yesterday I had DCG throw cup of water on daycare boy while I was setting stuff up for naptimezz I removed her and when she was finished throwing a fit I let her come back to the table..

I also have another one that is always getting up from the table with her food..

And another that steals other kids foods while they are eating..

What to you guys do in these situations.

Do I remove them and put them straight for nap..??

Euphoric !
    I have all my kids restrained in high chairs or boosters so nobody can get up or touch anyone else. They all have cups with lids. I have one kid that throws food the minute I turn my back .... I take him out if his high hair and make him pick it up then he goes back in his high chair and I take all the food away and he has to just sit there and watch. You need to use your firm voice and mean face. If you serve a treat at the end of the meal the offending kid(s) wouldn't get it .... If you don't serve a treat then I would start even if it just a special cracker or an extra fruit if a child has misbehaved they don't get it

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    I have all my kids restrained in high chairs or boosters so nobody can get up or touch anyone else. They all have cups with lids. I have one kid that throws food the minute I turn my back .... I take him out if his high hair and make him pick it up then he goes back in his high chair and I take all the food away and he has to just sit there and watch. You need to use your firm voice and mean face. If you serve a treat at the end of the meal the offending kid(s) wouldn't get it .... If you don't serve a treat then I would start even if it just a special cracker or an extra fruit if a child has misbehaved they don't get it
    Crayola said it perfectly. Everybody's in boosters, cups with lids, firm voice and mean face, they lose the food if they throw it, no dessert/treat for the offender, etc. No nonsense at meal time.

Euphoric !
    Same thing one of my special home made cookies - oatmeal but with chocolate chips IF they finish their lunch with good manners and are still hungry - ie no eat your veggies then no cookie.
    Cups with lids and anyone under 2 in a highchair for meals and others graduate to big kid table but lose privilege if they don't remember their manners. I have a great table - large so not for everyone but we took our own table out so this one is in my kitchen. It is about 5-6 feet across and has little cutouts for each person so they are separated from others - no touching. They also have trays from the dollar store for their place and all food, drinks, silverware must remain on the tray during the meal. Makes meals and cleanup of spills much easier. They also all wear bibs as long as they are with me.

Sounds like it would be a better idea to have all playpens upstairs set up before coming down for the day and then anything on main level can wait till after the meal so you stay in the kitchen to reinforce behaviours. Then have them sit near you with books while you finish getting nap mats out.

Outgoing
    If you don't want to put them all in boosters, I have a spare booster and if a child gets up they get one warning to sit and the next they are in the booster.

Or I'll also do one warning and take they're plate away, depending on their age.

Euphoric !
    Has anyone ever used a booster seat with a children's chair (little wood Ikea ones?) I have 2 highchairs for the babies however everyone else sits at the kids table. My 18 mos old needs to graduate to the kids table next week as I have another baby starting (I really don't want a 3rd highchair taking up space). She is fine sitting at the table but strapping her in would be a good option if she is having a hard day. I just worry the chair would not be substantial enough for a booster and it would become top heavy and fall over.

We have a very relaxed atmosphere during mealtime, however if someone is not showing good manners they will leave the table and not coming back. They will have to wait until the next meal. They also get to see my mean face. It does not happen to often, they learn the lesson very quick. In here they seat in child size chairs and table at about 15-18 months when they are able to get in and out of the chairs by themselves.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Has anyone ever used a booster seat with a children's chair (little wood Ikea ones?) I have 2 highchairs for the babies however everyone else sits at the kids table. My 18 mos old needs to graduate to the kids table next week as I have another baby starting (I really don't want a 3rd highchair taking up space). She is fine sitting at the table but strapping her in would be a good option if she is having a hard day. I just worry the chair would not be substantial enough for a booster and it would become top heavy and fall over.
    One of the best things to use for securing a child to a chair is to use the walking harness with the rein. The rein is wound through the rungs of the chair and then the harness is put on and child is clipped into place. The harness is under the bib so it stays clean - if you can find the ribbed nylon ones they wash better than the leather ones of course. We used this from the time our special needs child was 15 months till she was 6 to secure her onto any chair moving from a child`s chair to an adult chair as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I would put the lighter and quieter infant in the booster seat in the floor and the 18 mos old in the high chair. I would not do that with the 18 mos old. He could try to get up or move to the side and fall. I would also be afraid of attaching the booster seat to a child size chair. They are too light. If he struggles to get out for any reason he could fall.

Euphoric !
    All of mine sit in booster seats with trays and I keep the chairs far enough apart for the little ones that they can't touch each other or share food. And they all use cups with lids. I have one I am battling with on the food dropping/throwing right now too...she is 2 and should know better, but only started with me a couple of months ago. I have found that for some kids removing the food doesn't work because that is actually what they want since they are done or just don't like it. For these kids, every time they throw something on the floor, I take their hands and hold them behind their head for a minute...I am very gentle and they are not hurt in the slightest, but they hate it. I used this to train the same 2 year old not to take her shoes and hat off and throw them out of the stroller. It worked well...she no longer does it and if she starts to, all I have to do is warn her about the hands and she stops