Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

I am happy that I found this site

I just want to say hello everybody!This is my first time to join this forum.I opened my family daycare 6 months ago and I don't have client yet.I did all sorts of advertising but i just got calls from parent inquiring and not returning anymore.I am only charging $600-$700 depending on the child's age.Do you think it is too expensive?I am worried that if I won't be able to get at least 3 clients on the following months, the licensing will cancel my license.Can you give me some tips/advices on what to do?Thank you and I am so happy to be a part of this group/forum.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose47 View Post
    I just want to say hello everybody!This is my first time to join this forum.I opened my family daycare 6 months ago and I don't have client yet.I did all sorts of advertising but i just got calls from parent inquiring and not returning anymore.I am only charging $600-$700 depending on the child's age.Do you think it is too expensive?I am worried that if I won't be able to get at least 3 clients on the following months, the licensing will cancel my license.Can you give me some tips/advices on what to do?Thank you and I am so happy to be a part of this group/forum.
    $600-700 how often? Weekly, biweekly, monthly? Where are you located. What are your hours of care. All of this will impact the going rate.

It can be very hard to get started. Once you have a client or two it can be easier to fill remaining spots but it is usually hardest to fill that first spot.

What I did was never make it known I was empty. I had my website written as if I was currently open and running. I never outright lied but I avoided saying I had no kids. I attempted to avoid saying I was empty until the arrived for an interview. Then I had to tell them but I tried to win them over anyways. I had a strong educational and experience background so I was able to field concerns etc. I had references from in the field to give as well.

Never list that you have 5 spots (or how ever many you are allowed) that screams empty. Advertise only for 1-2 spots in your ads.

Expansive...
    It is hard at the start when you haven't got the first important client so I would suggest you call around in your area as if you are looking for daycare and see what others say in the phone interview and see how much they charge so you get a better idea of fees in your area

Shy
    I think that is one of my problem.I told the parents inquiring that I just opened and I don't have clients yet.I told them about my price too over the phone.Someone told me not to tell my price over the phone.I should invite them first and discuss it personally.Actually the $600-700 price is for full time service and it is from 7:00-5:30pm.,Monday to Friday..I am very thankful that I joined this site and I was able to learned a lot from you guys.Thank you for your advice.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose47 View Post
    Actually the $600-700 price is for full time service and it is from 7:00-5:30pm.,Monday to Friday.
    $600-700 every week? Or every month?

And I agree, don't tell them you have no client. Most people view daycare as somewhere child can interact. If you have no other children for them play with, then they will go somewhere else.

Euphoric !
    I made my price very clear. To me that is something most families have little wiggle room on and it is a waste of everyone's time to interview when they can't afford you. My fee was $15 more than the daycares around me (education and experience and facilities allowed this to work) so hiding that was not worthwhile.

When you get a family to interview use what you have to sell yourself. No other children...make that a positive. It will allow you to give one-on-one attention to the child as they settle into care. You can adapt to their current nap schedule. Sell yourself and sell the idea of being the only child. Do NOT mention any negatives, do NOT mention the struggles of filling that first spot.

You need a clear vision of what you will offer. I found parents were very split and very firm on what they wanted in regards to staying onsite or going for outings with the caregiver. I did not leave the house/yard and all my families preferred this. I did not use any tv/screen time and all my families wanted this. Know what you will offer and advertise that as your selling features.

Word everything in the present tense, word everything as if you are running already. "We play outside morning and afternoon every day" not "We will play outside morning and afternoon every day"

Have the daycare fully set up. It is one thing to have no children but there is a big difference between having no children and a house with zero toys and no daycare space versus having no children and a clearly visible, appealing fully stocked daycare space. Simple phrases like "I have been focused on having the daycare space fully set up before my first child starts" allows parents to move past "there are no children".

You also need to advertise in alignment with other providers in your area. If they advertise the daily fee DO NOT advertise a monthly fee. It is drastically higher to look at and you don't want parents to have do the math. If they list monthly fees then do the same.

Know how you are in interviews. If you excel then you are set, if like many you are nervous and forget to sell yourself find ways to help. I had a portfolio (with my diploma's, transcripts and experience in it) and I had taken a parent's list of questions to ask daycare providers (from online, I believe it was one from the Ontario Early Year's Centres) and I answered every question in writing.

When parents arrived I gave a tour, then sat in the daycare space, handed them the portfolio and fill out questions and I sat and interacted with their child (with them right beside us) and had them read. By the time they read it they were sold on me and they had watched me with their child. There wasn't much left to say. I didn't have to verbally answer manage questions on the spot (which leaves room for error and fumbles).

I always do the main interview (as noted above) then I send them home telling them I will need X amount of time to reflect and see if they are a good fit. This allows them to go home and think as well and makes it clear I am not taking anyone willing to pay and that I am in charge. I then invite them back if both parties are interested. The next meeting is to go over the contract, sign the contract, give the deposit and set everything up.

I ONLY sign children on when I have met BOTH parents. I do not want to sign on a sweet mom and child to find out the dad is rude, arrogant or abusive.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you very much.I really learned a lot from this forum and it's a blessing to hear great advices from my fellow childcare providers.You shared a lot of good ideas amd it gives me hope..especially now that I worried so much that my license will be cancel due to no clients.I will follow all your advices and I hope it will work this time.

Shy
    $600-700 monthly...Monday -Friday (7:00-5:30pm).

Outgoing
    Sorry if I am getting this wrong, but you say you are licenced, are you with an agency? If so, can they help you find clients?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    Sorry if I am getting this wrong, but you say you are licenced, are you with an agency? If so, can they help you find clients?
    or are you in BC where you need to be licensed to run a home daycare.......it helps us to know to give you good advice