Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

T'is the Season...

Feeling off today, not sure what's going on but decided to give myself a break and by 10am decided that a Xmas movie before lunch was just fine. Kids are in a trance lol...definitely not an every day thing but if it means I can get my snuggle on with a hot water bottle on this occasion then so be it.

This is potentially my last Xmas doing daycare as I'm supposed to be going to school. I say supposed to be, because my house is kind of falling apart and part of me thinks I should postpone by a year and keep my income to cover some big repair jobs....anyway. Let's say it is my last, then I have a Pinterest account full of Xmas stuff that I'm going to make every effort to get through this season, not just for the kiddies, but for me too I always have a fun packed program in December. I love it!

I've booked the Early years centre for the party which I do each year, and Santa has confirmed. Working on my buffet menu and starting to get my Xmas activities organized and planned out for the month of December. Then I'm off from Dec 19th until Jan 5th.

What has everyone else got planned?

Outgoing
    I booked my Santa yesterday, and bought all the Santa presents. I have to plan a birthday party for my daughter, for this Sunday. After that we start full Christmas activities.

Expansive...
    Wow good for you for putting on a party, sounds pretty awesome! I haven't gotten around to planning crafts and everything for December but was planning on doing that this week. Typically we do a bunch of crafts and one special keepsake ornament but I have no clue what to make this year. Hoping to steal some ideas on here!

A few ideas:
    -Paper plate santa
    -Simple stockings/ Christmas trees the kids decorate with whatever we have
    -Baking/ decorating cookies of course
    -Handprint snowmen ornament (we've done this before so hoping to do something different this year...I might buy some ornaments from the dollar store and get them to paint them...)
    -Reindeer with hand shaped antlers

I know there is more but my brain is not cooperating today

Euphoric !
    Do you guys rent a Santa? Or use someone you know? Sounds like a big expense at a time when money is the tightest, heh heh. Last year one of the daycare dads did it for me.

Outgoing
    My father in law does it for me. He loves being Santa, and does a lot of things around the city, on a volunteer basis. Even if someone insists on paying him, he donates the proceeds to charity. His wife would come by and be Mrs clause too if she could, but my own kids would recognize her pretty quick. We had such a good party last year, and I think the parents really appreciated it.

Euphoric !
    I've had a fever off and on for about 2 weeks and feel like a big bag of poo so I haven't done much lately!!

I have almost all their gifts bought but need to wrap them. I still need to figure out what they are going to make to give to their parents and than I need to decide which pinterest ideas I will use for arts and crafts. Ugh....Too much work and I have zero energy lately

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Do you guys rent a Santa? Or use someone you know? Sounds like a big expense at a time when money is the tightest, heh heh. Last year one of the daycare dads did it for me.
    I rent the early years centre, the whole place, for $80 for 3 hours. It includes a full kitchen so while I cook and prep most things ahead of time for the buffet, it's great to have that facility. I hire a Santa who just raised his rates this year to $80 for 30 minutes. I used to pay someone $50 but thy stood me up two years ago, so now I don't focus so much on cost, but reputation and reliability. I buy a multi pack of books from scholastic book order and they get wrapped as Santa gifts that he gives out. I invite all adult family members as it's a great and rare opportunity for grandparents, aunts and uncles to see the kids in this kind of environment and as it's a large place it's a perfect opportunity. I love doing it and find it an expense worth having

Euphoric !
    Bright Sparks- do you do this on a weekend? Last yr I did a "Continental breakfast" at drop off in the morning and parents planned to stay for an hour. The kids did a little show and we did a craft with the parents then Santa came and handed out presents/took pics with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Bright Sparks- do you do this on a weekend? Last yr I did a "Continental breakfast" at drop off in the morning and parents planned to stay for an hour. The kids did a little show and we did a craft with the parents then Santa came and handed out presents/took pics with the kids.
    Oh that sounds lovely torontokids ��
    Yes I do the Xmas Party on a Saturday and then I can have a nice day of rest on the Sunday.