Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Angry Potty Training Headaches!

Happy Friday, everyone!
    Sorry if this runs a little long, but I need a little advice from you, as I am quickly approaching my limit. I've only been running my home daycare for a year, so I think it is my lack of experience (and my desire to please, ugh!) that is clouding my judgement. Here's the situation: I have a 2 1/2 yr old DCG who up until a week ago was not potty trained and the parents had not initiated any start to the training. She was off last week on a family vacation and this Monday morning, her DCM announced to me that she was put into underpants all week and hasn't needed a diaper/pull-up except for nap and overnight. I was skeptical but decided to take the mom's word and let her stay here in underpants only (mistake #1). Well, the first day she peed herself (and my carpet and sofa) three times. The next day, she pooped twice and peed again. Well, by day 3 I had had enough and put her back into pull-ups. I also sent the mom a message explaining what happened and that I had put DCG back into pull-ups as she was not ready to be in underwear. Well, DCM didn't take the news well and got very defensive and said that it's normal that she would have "accidents" and that they didn't happen all week on vacation. I said that kids tend to behave differently at daycare than they do at home, and the fact that she was freely soiling herself (and not alerting anyone that she had messed) is clearly a sign that she's not potty trained. I explained that we will continue to take her to the potty every hour or so (I have a potty trip schedule: 9:00am, 10:15am, 11:45am, etc), but she will have to keep the pull-up on here because I can't stop and steam clean my carpets and furniture 2-3 times a day. I reiterated this at pick up and mom was clearly not pleased - she mumbled that she didn't want pull-ups as this was going to cause a setback.
    I even took the time yesterday evening to research a few potty training techniques that may work (while still wearing the pull-up to protect my house), asked her to let me know what she thought and DCM didn't even reply to my message. This morning at drop off, DCG shows up in underwear again. I tell her that I am going to have to put a pull-up on her and DCM sighs, kisses DCG and leaves without saying another word to me.
    I am at the end of my patience with this... my husband thinks I should just tell her point blank that if DCG doesn't arrive in pull-ups, she can't stay. And if they don't like that, then they will have to find other care. (I should also mention that this DCM also ignores my rule that her child can't bring her own toys to daycare and often picks up late, despite several warnings). I don't know if that's too harsh. Part of me would really like to do that, but the other part of me also does not want to lose a full-time 2 1/2 yr old, as they are hard enough to find in Ontario, and the summer's been pretty lean anyways. I have put up advertisements for her spot, but again, being summer, I'm not getting a lot of interest yet.
    What should I do? What would you do? Mu husband says the aggravation is not worth the income from her because she clearly doesn't respect what I do.

Euphoric !
    First, decide if you want to keep this family. Parents not liking our approach to things is normal and IMO, to be expected. Disregarding our opinion, advice and not being able to communicate and reach a compromise is not acceptable though. If you want to go forward with her, plan a time to discuss potty training (I like to just give a heads up that during pickup one day, we need time to talk) Than be ready with a plan and ask her what her thoughts are. In the end, at your home it's your rules but hopefully you 2 can come up with an approach that both parties are comfortable with. For myself, I treat potty training case by case and work WITH the parent and child as each child is different. I explain to them what the best approaches have been IME and most times they go along with that (a lot of parents want their child trained FAST so are willing to do whatever I suggest lol) but sometimes a family has had previous luck with an older sibling doing a different approach and if I'm fine with it, I'll give it a shot.

The approach that I've found works best is....

- child has to be showing signs of wanting to be trained (dry diaper after nap, holding it, knowing when they need to pee/poop, saying potty, taking off clothes etc)

- child wears underwear underneath the pull up (keeps my home clean but they still feel the mess when they go)

- at first, there's a schedule. However that is only for 1-3 days max as than its YOU that's trained not the child. After that, I encourage them to use the potty at normal potty times (snack, lunch, before going outside etc) but the in between washroom visits are left up to them

- help the child with pulling up and down of clothes, getting off and on toilet but don't do it for them!!

- once I feel that they're ready for just underwear, (some have been as fast as one day!! Some have been a few weeks) I plan to stay inside for a day or two. I expect accidents and prepare myself for that lol. Make sure the parent leaves quite a bit of extra clothing at your place. Don't allow the child on your "good" furniture and encourage lots of washroom visits and make a big deal out of every success (it's a huge milestone!!) and try not to shame them for the accidents (we all make mistakes when learning a new thing and if they're like most of us, they won't want to continue with it if they get scolding for their mistake)

- to be considered fully trained, they must be able to do all the steps themselves. I still wipe bums for poops but that doesn't last very long as they learn quickly what to do

Doing it this way has been the easiest and fastest method I've tried over the years. Good luck!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Do you have your potty training policy in your contract? If not you definitely need to add it in there.

I do not allow underwear until I agree to it. Once a child turns 2 I start introducing the potty to them a few times a day. I use the big toilet as I don't ever use a portable potty. Once the child seems to be showing interest we switch to pull-ups. Once we have dry pull-ups for a week or two I will transition to underwear. I also reserve the right to go back to pull-ups if there are too many accidents. I encourage parents to just use underwear at home. I have put pull-ups on over underwear too depending on the child. My parents all know this is my method as its in my contract so they know what to expect.

It sounds like you need to get firm with this mom and fast. If she doesn't respect your rules it is because you are letting her.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Shy
    [QUOTE=mickyc;84423]Do you have your potty training policy in your contract? If not you definitely need to add it in there.

Unfortunately, I do not have a specific one. I address potty training in the contract, but now I see I wasn't nearly specific enough. I am writing one up and updating my contract as we speak. I will then send this updated policy to DCM in question, ask her to review it and let me know if she has any questions.
    Thanks for your input!

Shy
    Do you mind if I copy some of your steps above to create my specific potty-training policy for my contract? I briefly cover it in my current contract, but not in nearly enough detail. I will write one up and send it to all my daycare parents as a contract update for them to read and confirm.
    Thanks for your tips!

Euphoric !
    I don't mind at all (if you meant my steps?)

I also don't have a detailed policy in my contract as its so individual IMO. I do have a more detailed page that i let parents read but it's not a "make or break" policy in my contract

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LilDuck View Post
    Happy Friday, everyone!
    Sorry if this runs a little long, but I need a little advice from you, as I am quickly approaching my limit. I've only been running my home daycare for a year, so I think it is my lack of experience (and my desire to please, ugh!) that is clouding my judgement. Here's the situation: I have a 2 1/2 yr old DCG who up until a week ago was not potty trained and the parents had not initiated any start to the training. She was off last week on a family vacation and this Monday morning, her DCM announced to me that she was put into underpants all week and hasn't needed a diaper/pull-up except for nap and overnight. I was skeptical but decided to take the mom's word and let her stay here in underpants only (mistake #1). Well, the first day she peed herself (and my carpet and sofa) three times. The next day, she pooped twice and peed again. Well, by day 3 I had had enough and put her back into pull-ups. I also sent the mom a message explaining what happened and that I had put DCG back into pull-ups as she was not ready to be in underwear. Well, DCM didn't take the news well and got very defensive and said that it's normal that she would have "accidents" and that they didn't happen all week on vacation. I said that kids tend to behave differently at daycare than they do at home, and the fact that she was freely soiling herself (and not alerting anyone that she had messed) is clearly a sign that she's not potty trained. I explained that we will continue to take her to the potty every hour or so (I have a potty trip schedule: 9:00am, 10:15am, 11:45am, etc), but she will have to keep the pull-up on here because I can't stop and steam clean my carpets and furniture 2-3 times a day. I reiterated this at pick up and mom was clearly not pleased - she mumbled that she didn't want pull-ups as this was going to cause a setback.
    I even took the time yesterday evening to research a few potty training techniques that may work (while still wearing the pull-up to protect my house), asked her to let me know what she thought and DCM didn't even reply to my message. This morning at drop off, DCG shows up in underwear again. I tell her that I am going to have to put a pull-up on her and DCM sighs, kisses DCG and leaves without saying another word to me.
    I am at the end of my patience with this... my husband thinks I should just tell her point blank that if DCG doesn't arrive in pull-ups, she can't stay. And if they don't like that, then they will have to find other care. (I should also mention that this DCM also ignores my rule that her child can't bring her own toys to daycare and often picks up late, despite several warnings). I don't know if that's too harsh. Part of me would really like to do that, but the other part of me also does not want to lose a full-time 2 1/2 yr old, as they are hard enough to find in Ontario, and the summer's been pretty lean anyways. I have put up advertisements for her spot, but again, being summer, I'm not getting a lot of interest yet.
    What should I do? What would you do? Mu husband says the aggravation is not worth the income from her because she clearly doesn't respect what I do.
    I would put the pull up on OVER her panties. Everytime she is dirty or wet take the pull up and panities, up them in a plastic bag and send them home for mom to deal with. You are making this way to easy for her. Once she has to be the one to clean up poop, i can bet that she will okay pull ups

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with pull ups over undies-both for the dcg to feel wet, and for the Mom to understand. IME, pull ups DO set back potty training. I think the poor girl will get mixed messages, that it's ok to pee her pants at daycare, she has a diaper. My oldest potty trained at 19mo, her provider (Montessori school) requested 5 pairs of underwear and a long shirt (no pants, to make it faster), and just watched her closely (she was going at predictable times and asking to go, but had accidents if really involved in play). For in my home and travelling, I used cloth trainers (protect furniture, but feel wet). For children in my daycare, they have all been different. I consider them trained when they consistently ask to go in time.

I have to be honest but I don't see this issue stemming from any kind of preference for potty training or even the steps each individual takes towards readiness etc. The problem you are having is that you are dealing with a family who are not willing to collaborate with you. If they were, then they wouldn't have taken it upon themselves to start toilet training prior to a discussion with you. Yes I have my own set of criteria before I will start training, but I discuss this with the parents. Likewise, if a parent wants to start toilet training, they should discuss it with you first. It's not about a parent asking permission etc, but respecting the fact that you will be doing the bulk of the training given the amount of hours spent with the child, and you will also be training in a group setting which is very different than one on one.

I think like all of us have been, you are a new provider and didn't foresee this happening. A parent pulling the rug from under you! The time for discussing readiness is over IMO, it has been started and you have to move forward with it.

Stop asking the parent to bring in a pull up. Demand it...her child, YES, but this is your daycare and I would swiftly remind her that had she bothered to discuss this ahead of time then you could have agreed on the terms of training prior to these issues arising. If you want a pull up, make it mandatory and if she is displeased, quite frankly it is her own fault. If she refuses, then let her know she can not attend daycare freely soiling everywhere and she either complies or immediately terminate. I doesn't really matter what the child does at home if she is peeing and pooing all over daycare and not verbalizing her needs. Again, this problem is nothing to do with the child's abilities, age or method of training. This is a disrespectful parent who is not on an equal footing with you when it comes to childcare. Personally, I would give notice if she doesn't immediately comply with your potty training demands. Otherwise, you are in for a lot more stress in addition to what appears to be a child who isn't ready having a very rough toilet training experience.

You have to make a decision. Grin and bare it and try to make it work by taking control of the situation, or terminate. Good Luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I tell the parents that the child needs to wear the pull ups over the undies at daycare for HYGIENE reasons as they are busy playing at daycare and can forget to tell you when they need to pee.
    You have the right to save your couch and carpets !!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post: