Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Daycares in the area....

Ok.....so I decided to browse through home daycares in my area to make sure I'm still within a good range for the amount I charge and I come across two things that bugged me.

#1: I came across a home daycare that gives a "discount" for the first month of care.

Sooooooo stupid IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a parent I would think this was so weird.....like there must be a reason.....lack of quality????

#2: The average cost of childcare in the area (home daycare) is $40/day - non-ECE & $45/day ECE.

I came across an add for
    $31.75 1mth-4yrs
    $22 5yrs-6yrs
    $12 7yrs-10yrs

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

How can anybody possibly afford to have such low rates?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?! Especially in my are!!!! I can't compete with that!!!!! AND as a parent I think that would be the biggest red flag in the world!!!!! Possibly millions of red fireworks exploding as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Ok....after reading my post I realized I am totally over reacting.....lol But still.....
    Last edited by BrightEyes; 09-08-2012 at 01:12 PM.

You'll ALWAYS have people trying to lowball you.

YOU don't want that family that is looking for cheaper care.

I have just learned to mind my own p's and q's and go on with MY business.

I try to teach other providers in my area to NOT give discounts. That a space is a space, and the parents have to pay for that space.

Just in my area rates are between $30-40/day. Then some people choose to charge $25. Then I shake my head and move on.....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes, there are always those who charge less...I always assume that there is a reason...you can't tell from their shiny sparkly ads what they actually have. I guess that those who charge those low rates may be the ones with just a few toys thrown in a corner and no type of programming whatsoever. I set my rates at the top end for my area and I find I attract the right kind of clients that way...they are looking for a good daycare that fits with their values and where their child can thrive...they are not only concerned with the few dollars of day difference. I also find that by setting my rates on the higher end, others follow. I am confident in the quality services and facilities I have to offer and I am confident I will find families, so no discounts, special deals, extended hours, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I came across an ad in my area charging $10 less a day than the going rate. It's irritating. But I agree, you wouldn't want the family that was happy to go with the cheapest rate anyhow!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sometimes people charge lower rates when they are first starting out to get those first clients and sometimes they are warehouses with 20 kids sitting in front of a tv with jujubes for lunch. Who knows? It could be any situation but the parents who leave their children in the care of the people who are not working hard to have a great daycare are the people who boggle my mind. Seriously parents, your children are the most precious things in your life, not your car, not your house, not your job, so why skimp on childcare? Sad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

These people are the dollar store variety of day care providers. The parents may think they have a great deal, but then check out the quality and they will soon realize you do get what you pay for.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

I charge $700/month for f/t. I had a phone call the other day from a parent looking for full time care for 2 kids. She said she is paying 725/month for BOTH kids at her current dayhome that is closing. Sounds crazy to me!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GymMom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Seriously parents, your children are the most precious things in your life, not your car, not your house, not your job, so why skimp on childcare? Sad.

Honestly, it really is sad.
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

Quote Originally Posted by GymMom View Post
    I charge $700/month for f/t. I had a phone call the other day from a parent looking for full time care for 2 kids. She said she is paying 725/month for BOTH kids at her current dayhome that is closing. Sounds crazy to me!
    That's probably why their daycare is closing....... lol!
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrightEyes For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    The average rate for full time in my area is $35/day, but there is a lady on my block who advertises $19/day all ages. I see her every now and then (she's been open for about a year) and she only has one client- HA! There are always going to be people out there who think of $$$ before quality unfortunately, but if I were a parent looking I would skip right over that ad!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post: