Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by daycarewhisperer View Post
    Why would they give a baby nuts?

I would be suspicious that a ten month old would have these allergies.
    Living in Canada which is a cultural mosaic not everyone is raising their children the same, this includes the practice of weaning. Different cultures do different things. For example, myself being from the UK. We do not have restrictive guidelines like over here for weaning. Personally without meaning offence to anyone, I can't get over how anal the whole ordeal is here. By age 7 months my son was off milk and ate EVERYTHING. He started to be weaned onto food at 11 weeks. My daughter was 7 weeks when she started having plain brown rice pureed and was on full table food without it being chopped up by 6 months. She also ate everything. A staple meal for lunch was eggs from as young as 6 months and she was on cows milk at 10 months even though the guideline was 12mths. There were no restrictions on nuts for fear of allergy, the biggest risk was choking but that's not to say they couldn't be crushed up or cooked in something. I hear over and over that breast fed babies do not need any solid food till 12 months old and that a child should not be weaned onto food to early before 6-9 mths because it increases the risk of allergies, but honestly I have never known so many people to have food allergies over here so while I have read info that backs up these claims, it doesn't seem to be working out so well. Also seriously do you realize the family dr has little to no training in nutrition?!? They are the last people I would take advice from with regards to nutrition.

All I am saying is that there is more than one right way of doing something and just because some of us may not introduce nuts till after 12 months, doesn't mean that others don't or shouldn't.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Living in Canada which is a cultural mosaic not everyone is raising their children the same, this includes the practice of weaning. Different cultures do different things. For example, myself being from the UK. We do not have restrictive guidelines like over here for weaning. Personally without meaning offence to anyone, I can't get over how anal the whole ordeal is here. By age 7 months my son was off milk and ate EVERYTHING. He started to be weaned onto food at 11 weeks. My daughter was 7 weeks when she started having plain brown rice pureed and was on full table food without it being chopped up by 6 months. She also ate everything. A staple meal for lunch was eggs from as young as 6 months and she was on cows milk at 10 months even though the guideline was 12mths. There were no restrictions on nuts for fear of allergy, the biggest risk was choking but that's not to say they couldn't be crushed up or cooked in something. I hear over and over that breast fed babies do not need any solid food till 12 months old and that a child should not be weaned onto food to early before 6-9 mths because it increases the risk of allergies, but honestly I have never known so many people to have food allergies over here so while I have read info that backs up these claims, it doesn't seem to be working out so well. Also seriously do you realize the family dr has little to no training in nutrition?!? They are the last people I would take advice from with regards to nutrition.

All I am saying is that there is more than one right way of doing something and just because some of us may not introduce nuts till after 12 months, doesn't mean that others don't or shouldn't.
    I think you are right about doctors having only an idea about nutrition. My hubby was referred from the cardiologist to the chief of research in diabetics and none of them venture to give him any nutrition advice. They referred him to a nutritionist.

I also agree that in Toronto there are people from almost every part of the world and there are countries where currently allergies are technically unheard of.

I had a 9 months dcb old whose parents gave him peanut butter sandwich and then realized he had a life threatening allergy. Mom said she had been giving him peanut cookies and nothing had happened until they gave him the peanut butter sandwich.

I also grew in another country and did not know anything about allergies until I came to north America.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post

I can't imagine giving a newborn solids. A seven and eleven week old are newborns. I can't imagine how many babies have had solids so young and aspirated. Having a survival story at my disposal would never convince me that it would be safe.

I will steadfastly say you should never give a newborn solids.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Quote Originally Posted by daycarewhisperer View Post
    I can't imagine giving a newborn solids. A seven and eleven week old are newborns. I can't imagine how many babies have had solids so young and aspirated. Having a survival story at my disposal would never convince me that it would be safe.

I will steadfastly say you should never give a newborn solids.
    And that is your rightful opinion based on your experiences which is okay.

Euphoric !
    Cereals were started between 2-4 months and by 7-9 months kids ate from the table with the family and finger fed soft foods. They were on a cup and off bottles by a year.

But we also left them in playpens where they could roll around safely and exercise their muscles and mature instead of confining them to some apparatus they way kids are now.

This was the norm not the exception. What we have now for children does them a disservice. It is propaganda by the formula companies that pay doctors to promote their products that is partly to blame. Nutritionally maybe kids don't need solids before a year but developmentally they do - that is how gums are exercised for teething, that is how the tongue and mouth develop for speech - which most children developed between 10-12 months not 18 months like now.

Parents do not give children credit for what they can do and as a result they are held back. Unfortunately some of them just give up as we see on these boards of providers wondering what to do with 2 year olds that can't chew and 3 year olds that won't give up soothers and bedtime bottles.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Could not agree more. Kids are kept on a liquid diet until the magical age of one, at which point they are supposed to just "know" how to chew food? Seems silly to me.
    Some time ago, we were looking through my step-dad-in-law's baby book, for kicks. We found it hilarious that it was recorded that his first food was steak and green beans at -wait for it- 8 weeks old!! I am starting to wonder if the previous generation actually knew what they were doing in some areas.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    At the same time formula didn't have vitamins and iron added. So once your natural stores you were born with were gone - between 2-4 months old it was time to add iron fortified pablum to the diet. Now just like adults make a smoothy or drink a carnation breakfast we do the same to kids - it is faster just to toss them a bottle while still in the crib in the morning than to actually get them up and feed them. It is also about the me generation that made the switch cause it was easier on them - so what if it did the child a disservice it was all about what was important for the parent.

And yes things like a hunk of steak or a cold celery rib were great teething "toys" because they couldn't be bit till child actually had some teeth. There weren't a lot of plastic stuff for them to chew on. Remember at that time bottles would all have been glass and soothers more or less unheard of.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks for all the feedback on this post everyone! I've been MIA with halloween and birthdays, but have taken in all the info here. Thanks Again!
    “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”

― Angela Schwindt

Expansive...
    My first son was eating rice pablum at 10 weeks and table food by 5 months . He was a very big boy and we were very young lol !! I didn't know ! He ate what we ate !! I remember talking to a nurse and she was horrified to find out he was eating eggs as well !! I remember laying him in a big square playpen and letting him squirm all over !! Then 20 years later I had my daughter and wow !! Felt like I didn't know a thing !! I nursed her until she was two and introduced solids as instructed ! She is a lot fussier eater !! Seafood and meat were introduced so late that she is still not really into them !!
    And yes lol so much equipment !!!!

Euphoric !
    Not to wade into the age for solids debate, I just want to say that lots of people have allergy testing done on their baby around that age if they react to something such as eggs. I have met a couple of families whose children reacted to eggs and so they did allergy tests for everything. It could be as simple as that. If not and they did give the child nuts, who are we to judge? Guidelines swing back and forth wildly fom decade to decade and I think it is a parent's right to serve their child what they see fit when they see fit. Too much judgement of parents is not a good thing!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post: