Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Taxes - snowblower

Do u think I can claim my recently purchased snowblower? It was $1000. I do find I use it more often because of the daycare to keep my long drive and walkway clear especially for drop off and pick ups. Salt too? TX!

Starting to feel at home...
    I think it could count as equipment, so 20% of it could be claimed in the first year. Gas for it, and salt for the walk would definitely all be deductible (or at least a percentage of it... I have a separate entrance parents use, and I would claim 100% of anything used there).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

I think you would raise a red flag! This is obviously something you would use on the weekends when daycare is closed and you needed to go out after a snowstorm. I don't think you can justify 100% of it as a daycare expense and I think any good accountant would say the same. If your daycare closed, you likely wouldn't sell it. It wouldn't be surplus to your requirements, so this tells me that this is something you purchased as an individual and use for daycare as necessary. Kind of like a kettle for making babies milk bottles. You need it for daycare if part of your daycare is making bottles, you can not do without one, but it isn't the daycare's kettle unless you purchase a second one that is exclusively used for that single purpose.

Shy
    Of course you should claim it! A slippery driveway is a liability to your daycare business. A daycare is a business and snow removal is a normal business expense. I think we tend to short-change ourselves as small business owners.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hockey mom For This Useful Post:

i have a separate entrance, so i buy salt and such just for that entrance.

Outgoing
    I think it's fair to claim a percentage (i didn't mean the whole thing) as i do send my boys out more often to snow blow, due to the daycare, to keep things really clear and salted. It's shared equipment.

Euphoric !
    Yes you can absolutely claim a percentage of it!!

Gas for it, the lawnmower, salt, grass seed etc

A percentage of it for sure, but the original post didn't imply that this would be a partial claim, but the $1000 purchase of a snowblower. Yes lots of stuff can be claimed as a daycare expense, but maybe be clearer in the original post because you didn't indicate that you were talking about claiming a portion. It would probably be better in the long run, IMO, to employ a snow removal company to clear your drive. Then it would be a 100% expense to be written off, and depending on where you are, at least in southern Ontario where we do not get enough big snow falls to have this kind of service be a huge expense, You would have saved a small fortune on this big ticket item.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey mom View Post
    Of course you should claim it! A slippery driveway is a liability to your daycare business. A daycare is a business and snow removal is a normal business expense. I think we tend to short-change ourselves as small business owners.
    Claiming a business expense of snow removal is not the same as claiming the $1000 purchase of a snowblower as a daycare expense. A portion of the snowblower, yes, 100% of snow removal from a company on work days, yes, but not the entire purchase of something that clearly isn't for the sole purpose of daycare.