Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy

Private Dayhome regulations in alberta

Hi Ladies, I am looking for a website or some basic information on privately run dayhomes in alberta (edmonton specifically). I have no problem finding licensed dayhome information, but I was wanting info on regulations for those of us not licensed. I just opened a couple of months ago and have been going by the standards of licensed dayhomes, but I was just wondering if things like ages, number of children in care, etc. Thanks

Euphoric !
    Funny you should ask... I just spoke with someone last week at the Alberta government in regards to the same things. I was getting very frustrated because I was trying to find some specific information and was getting very conflicting info. And I've been running my dayhome for over a year now!!
    Basically; this is what I was told: there are no regulations when it comes to a PRIVATE dayhome in Alberta.
    Crazy, no? That is why there is so much mis-information out there. The regulations changed in late 2009, to define the different types of childcare. People are still thinking of the old guidelines, or mingling the old and new. A licensed facility with 7 or more children in care is under one set of rules, a privately licensed facility with 6 or fewer children (that works with an agency) is under a separate set. A completely privately run dayhome is really under no umbrella of regulation whatsoever. I was a little surprised.
    I believe that this is the governments way of "encouraging" parents to choose licensed childcare over non. IE: "Well, if you pick a private provider, you are on your own!!"
    When I spoke with the woman at the government, I didn't give her an indication of whether I was a provider or a parent. She warned me that if I was looking for care for my kids, the onus was on me to make a judgment about the number of children being cared for and the ages, whether I felt the provider could give the proper care to them or react appropriately in an emergency (getting the kids out of the house, etc).
    This was good news for me, because with 4 kids 10 and under of my own, I was quite worried about who counted for what in my ratios, etc. Apparently, I don't need to worry. That being said, I will continue to use the regulations for a licensed private dayhome as a guideline for myself, in addition to common sense. I won't take on 4 non-walking kids, because that would be madness should we ever need to evacuate the home. But I am not really going to include my 10 and 8 year old sons when I consider how many kids I take on, since they don't really require my "care" anymore, lol.
    Anyway, I hope that helps. I don't have the name and number of the woman I spoke with handy, but I can see if I can track it down for you if you would like to talk to her as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you are interested in accessing information about Child Care Programs in Alberta, you can go to:

www.child.alberta.ca

Starting to feel at home...
    I have been researching this a bit because my parents live in Edmonton (me in BC, and am licensed) and we considered moving to Edmonton. I liked that as a licensed centre I could have 7 not including my own, right? It's very confusing in Alberta tho! I must say! Plus I found the rules very slack compared to us in bc. Not licensed can be shut down if they run with more then 2 kids(plus own) how can you feed a family on that kind of income!?

Euphoric !
    I found it very difficult to get clear and concise information. I was looking online, and for every 5 websites I found, I found 5 different answers. I tried to search the government of Alberta website, to no avail. The information I did find was vague (I was trying to determine whether my kids count in the ratios and what the ages should be). I called our local family services, who run a licensed provider agency. All they wanted to talk about was getting me to be a part of their program. They wouldn't answer any questions about what the rules are as they apply to my situation as is.
    I need to run privately, since (as I mentioned) if I was working with an agency, most if not all of my kids would "count" and I would not be able to take in the extra child necessary for this to provide the income I require.

Ok, so let me get this straight....I run a small private day home in Calgary...there are NO regulations on age/numbers/anything that I am to follow??? That just doesn't sound right!!!

Outgoing
    I am private in Calgary as well. I was told (through email) that I can have 6 kids in my care, not including my own and there are no real age restrictions. They recommend you follow the licensed agency age restrictions (2 under 2, 3 under 3) but it isn't necessary.

I currenly have 2 of my own kids (2 1/2 and 14 mths) so I could techincally take care of 8 kids total every day. This seems a big extreme to be being that mine are still so young. I believe it's also about common sense and how much you can handle. As of November I will have my own two, a 4 yr old, 22 mth old, 19 mth old and two 15 mth olds. This would not be allowed through an agency but being that I'm a 'private babysitter' I can do it. As long as parents are on board and the children are being taken care of properly, apparently there are no real boundries.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinMinder View Post
    Ok, so let me get this straight....I run a small private day home in Calgary...there are NO regulations on age/numbers/anything that I am to follow??? That just doesn't sound right!!!
    Kinda scary, huh?
    As I said, I was told that it is up to THE PARENT to determine whether a private childcare arrangement is suitable/safe, etc for their child. We are bound by basic law, however to provide kids in our care proper food, hygenic living situations, etc. Child protective services could be called if basic care is not being provided. But it's more the people that would get involved if your neighbor was abusive and you reported them, as opposed to Alberta's childcare regulators.
    On the one hand, it's nice, because I may not be able to take in enough kids with an agency to make it worth my while. However, as a parent AND a caregiver, it causes me to hope that there aren't any untrustworthy individuals taking advantage of the regulations (or lack of!).

Euphoric !
    Forgot to mention; they do RECOMMEND that the provider follow the regulations regarding numbers and ratios that a licensed dayhome would be required to.

Wow...just WOW...I've always gone with the 2 under2 or 3 under 3 ratio but on occasion thought I was over numbers due to my older child (she's going to be 11 in a few months)...well I guess with good judgement on what I know I can handle as a caregiver everything should be fine. I have a clean and safe house with plenty of food, toys, etc. in it so nothing to worry about