Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I find it interesting that you name a number of concerns regarding nutrition, and professionalism.

Why is it that these concerns only come out when a parent is trying to justify a refund or stiffing the provider/babysitter out of her owed fee?

I had something very similar happen to me recently, these parents were all to happy to be in my care, but when I enforced my contract, they were all of a sudden wondering about outdoor time, said I fed their child junk, that they did not know that my husband was his alternate etc. (It is made very clear that my husband is very much a part of my daycare)

Interesting that these concerns were never voiced until they were trying to justify pulling their children without notice....

Yep OP seems legit to me. (Please note sarcasm)

Starting to feel at home...
    A sister of my fiances friend offered to watch my son for the month of August in her home as my 8 year old son was on a waiting list for the daycare and she has a son his age as well and was watching other kids during the summer.

Considering she's the sister of your fiance's friend......what are the chances that she thought she was doing you a favor by taking your child in for a month?

And considering that she's the sister of your fiance's friend......

.........lady, I'd just let this go, if I were you. In fact, if I were you, I'd even take the step to show that all's under the bridge now, and there's no hard feelings.
    Last edited by betsy; 08-28-2015 at 07:18 AM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betsy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Discoveries View Post
    Wow Thank you Ad1986 for informing that I do not in fact run a business! I have been falsely under the illusion that I was a self-employed owner/operator of a home childcare business for nearly a decade now. Guess I can save myself a great deal of time, energy and expense at tax time. I'm sure the Canada Revenue Agency has just been confused all this time.
    I was referring to the babysitter who does not have a business license or permit or issue receipts or taxes that is claiming to be running a business. Tell me how I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ahnys View Post
    It seems that your entire argument rests on your belief that she is not a true daycare and is therefore not a business. You state it is like one neighbour helping out another, and that she does not have a limited number of spaces. Unfortunately, reality AND the province of Alberta would disagree with you. She is a daycare if she is providing care for children for more than 10 hours a week. She does NOT need to be licensed, regulated or accredited in ANY way in order to be a LEGAL PRIVATE UNLICENSED daycare. She must comply with the government rule that limits the amount if children she cares for (no more than six). It seems you have done no research before making sweeping assumptions about what she is in fact running.
    And the fact that you have received a lack of empathy? You have come on to a child care provider website, and by association insulted and diminished a huge percentage of us who run unlicensed daycares and do not have degrees associated with child care, through pure ignorance on your part.
    Babysitting out of ones house without a business license and not issuing tax receipts yet claiming to be a business is a business to you?

Working somewherewhere they don't beleive in doing tax forms to claim eligible dependants AND not having an accountant come in to do proper paycheques on pay day because 'she just didn't want to', so them telling you to just estimate how much you would think you make and potentially paying like $10,000 back at tax time, would you still want to work there?

I NEVER ONCE SAID I didn't have the resources to find a good provider, due to my issues. What issues?!?!? What the HELL does that even mean????

My son is on a waiting list for an actual daycare! I have called around to numerous dayhomes and they are al full! So given the fact that she was a sister of whatever my finances friend, has a son my sons age and is my sons bus route driver I thought she would be trusting enough to watch my son. She was the one that offered for $500 and yes dayhomes charge $800 or more but she doesn't not have the same licensing permit or accreditation as on so why should she get the same financial benefit as one without having the necessary qualifications? So she's a bus driver and probably collecting ei during the summer, while watching kids for cash out of her home yet claiming she's a business. Sounds pretty professional.

Also, I quit my job because they didn't do tax forms to claim eligible dependants, their accountant did not want to come in and do proper paycheques on payday because she just 'didn't want to' so they told me to just estimate how much I would think I made. Potentially paying back thousands of dollars back at tax time just doesn't sound like something I want to do, you? I didn't quit because I just didn't feel like working anymore!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ad1986 View Post
    Working somewherewhere they don't beleive in doing tax forms to claim eligible dependants AND not having an accountant come in to do proper paycheques on pay day because 'she just didn't want to', so them telling you to just estimate how much you would think you make and potentially paying like $10,000 back at tax time, would you still want to work there?
    The reasons why you quit your job are completely irrelevant. It has nothing to do with the question you asked and nobody cares why you quit.

I really don't think anyone can explain this to you more than it's already been explained. You thinking the "babysitter" owes you your money back would be similar to you thinking that the job you quit from owes you the $250 you lost in child care expenses because you didn't like working there and thought you had to quit. Pretty ludicrous. No matter what the reason for quitting, it was still YOUR decision. You can't screw someone else over because of a decision YOU made.

The analogy made saying it's like eating half your meal at a restaurant and saying you only want to pay for half because you don't want the other half is pretty spot on. It's absolutely outrageous.
    Last edited by lplplp; 08-29-2015 at 03:05 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lplplp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ad1986 View Post
    Babysitting out of ones house without a business license and not issuing tax receipts yet claiming to be a business is a business to you?
    Ok.... you send that as a response to someone explaining to you how it works in your province!!!!! It is not a matter of opinion whether or not this lady runs a daycare. That is what the laws in your province say!!!!!! Do you understand??

Also, you can claim child care expenses without receipts. The CRA may investigate her if she hasn't provided you with a receipt and she hasn't claimed the income. You do not need receipts.
    Last edited by lplplp; 08-29-2015 at 03:38 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lplplp For This Useful Post:

She is operating an informal home childcare business. A permit or licence is not a requirement.

You are correct about the not issuing a tax receipt being wrong. Was that an agreement upfront in order to secure a lower childcare fee? If so, you understood you were to benefit from her fraudulent business practices. You can still contact her and state you intend to claim the amount and ask for a receipt. You could do this by email to have documentation of your request and her response. You can still claim the amount you paid in childcare even without a receipt, by entering her full name and address and amount paid. It may flag both you and her for further clarification if she opts not to to claim her income.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Discoveries For This Useful Post:

FYI, she has until March 31 2016 to issue you your receipt. I don;t care when a parent leaves they are MAILED a receipt on Feb 28 of every year.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post: