Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Expansive...

The developing issue- COVID-19

Have any of you developed a plan? Had conversations with healthcare workers? Local government? Parents?

Shy
    I have begun to think about it, but have not put much thought into it. One of my familys are travelling to the USA in the next few weeks and my husband is coming home from work in Europe. He will most likely be quarentined for 4 days so its hard to say what will come of it. I will treat it like my illness policy for now and continue to be strict about cleanliness and handwashing, and strict for my family when they return from vacation. I will definetly have a conversation with the parents before they go so we are both on the same page.

Outgoing
    Worried about having to close for weeks when it hits us regular folk.... I dont have pandemics in my policies! Hoping all make it out alive when all over is most important of course. Passing it to Grams and Gramps most concern

As things escalate I am genuinely concerned if we are forced to self contain like Italy. If it happened there surely its only a matter of time till everywhere else has to. Having my daycare temporarily close and having zero income is terrifying.

I don't for one minute call into question the need for social distancing and primarily people need to stop travelling out of their region, but the reality of no income for people who are barely making ends meet as it is, that is causing me a lot of anxiety. I have read that a few countries are allowing deferred payments or suspending mortgage payments, taxes and utilities, but the consumer credit crisis that many people are part of...what happens with all of that?? Right now we are reassessing all non essential spending.

I have a situation where one of my daycare kids grandparents are leaving for a cruise on March 23rd. They fly to Australia and then cruise for 30 days. You can bet your life upon returning one of the first things they will want to do is see their grandson. That puts my family and my daycare families at a huge risk. You can say that I should mind my own business, but this is my business and these types of risks effect everyone and global travel is a major part, if not the biggest factor in why this has spread so much. How do I deal with this family? And how do I trust that they are going to do as I ask by keeping their son and themselves away from them for at least 14 days if not more for him to still be able to attend daycare?

I wouldn’t worry too much as cruises are on the advisory for do not travel. They will most likely be put in isolation upon return or the cruise will get cancelled.
    If not, you have every right to send a letter voicing your concerns if the cruise happens. hopefully the family will respect that!

Outgoing
    Terrified also. Government may give EI to self employed businesses affected by corona

Shy

COVID-19 Home Daycare

I run a home daycare in Nepean, ON and would love to hear more during such an uncertain time. I have been running my daycare for 21yrs now! I'm a 47yr old woman and only in the last couple of years have I really started to stand my ground on daycare policies. I think this is such a crucial time to stand our ground and do our best to protect everyone involved including the kiddos, ourselves and all connected families. I have been up to my eyeballs in the latest COVID-19 news and trying to seek as much advice as possible. Something I have wanted to add to my contract even prior to this was something explaining to parents how our hours work as home daycare providers, and subsequently what exactly parents are paying for. I have too often had parents resentful when I send sick children home, or asked for an occasional 20min early pick up. I've realized how truly unseen/understood we are. I offer care Mon-Friday 7:30-5PM almost All families use max hours, average 9hrs per day. We as Home Daycare Providers work longer hours than pretty much Any parent. Unlike in a school or daycare centre we have no one to cover for us to go on break or to take over the shift at the 6 or 8hr mark. If ever there was work that required good mental health it is this one, Looking after parents most precious beings. Yet somehow I feel all too often taken advantage of or somehow thought less than. The hired help so to speak. What parents don't understand is the are not paying us on an hourly basis, or even on a daily basis, the agreed daycare rate is the rate paid to hold a child's daycare spot. One of only 5 daycare spaces we have available. It Is never an intention to have children at max hours. I see parents home all the time, and still send their children full hours. Our hours are set to accommodate as many families as possible.
    Phew.. little rant there! 😁 Now the COVID-19 and home daycare:
    This is what I am going to be putting forward to parents:
    I have already sent out a letter addressing what our public heath administrator has advised all schools and daycare; vigilant hand washing ✔ teaching kids not to touch their faces ✔ ** Keep your children home when they are sick... and gave them a copy of my sick kids policy. That was Monday. Soooo much has developed since then. Ladies this is where we need to protect ourselves and our livelyhoods!! I am sending a child home today with a cough and cold symptoms newly developed. I'm telling her that under this unusually high risk circumstances she needs to keep her son home. No fever Yet, however children are typically carriers not the ones with high fever etc.. even if not COVID-19, if we all now come down with upper respiratory illness, lower our immunities we will be at even higher risk when the Big Bug hits. 😣 So scary!! We need to be EXtRa Vigilant!! When parents are asked to stay at home to isolate and lessen the spread of illness, I am ready to stand my ground and tell them they need to also keep their children home. We need to lower risk people!! Sending their children to daycare and put Everyone else at risk when they are not working??? So (this is where my rant has relevance) this is when the big question about pay will ofcourse come in. Yes indeed in order to hold your childs spot you will continue to pay unless it's a lay off situation. If parents aren't getting paid and we can't negotiate something, I will still ask to have children at home, and try to hold their spot regardless of pay.
    We have to act on behalf of all families involved. Keep our environment as healthy as possible. If parents continue to work I will continue to provide care as long as possible. Crazy hand washing, disposable gloves, masks when necessary. I'm scared people. I am pretty healthy and fit, but I had a terrible case of pneumonia last year. I have 3 wonderful boys 16, 18 & 24.. all living at home. I'm scared, but we can do this!!! ❤❤❤

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelley For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don’t think we should be forced to close without pay.
    If the local government or health departments mandate closures at some point, that is beyond our control.
    Their child’s spot is being held open regardless, so i would expect them to pay.
    I will be changing policies to include a no fever policy if the child has cough/cold symptoms( as opposed to sending them home when fever hits 101)

I'm actually starting to get nervous about this whole thing as well. I've had one child off since Tuesday with cough, fever and irritability. It started out as vomiting and diarrhea on Monday. Now, another child is off today with a cough.

I was wondering if any of you have an updated illness policy reflecting COVID-19 that you could share. I am at a loss as to how to word it. Plus, I have a parent that just does not seem to take this pandemic seriously.

Expansive...
    I now have a zero fever policy/ no cough/ no congested chest or difficulty breathing.
    Also child excluded for 2 weeks if they or parents venture outside of Canada.