Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Extra income?

Outgoing

Extra income?

Hello Ladies,

I've been thinking to find an extra work and get some extra income. As some of you may know I only look after 2 kids and looking to get the 3rd one. I can't take more kids as I live in a 2 bed apartment. Now my question is, do you do extra work beside your day home or have a small business on the side to get some extra cash?

I thought about becoming Avon re presenter but I don't know anyone here. I'm good with computers so I though about getting typing jobs or become a virtual assistance but they are asking me to pay! so that I can get work from them? Pay them to work for them...? Something isn't right So that's a no no.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Cocoon

Expansive...
    I've thought about getting a part time job where I work Sundays, but i'm not sure how many places would hire someone for only one shift a week. I'd love to get a job at Scholar's Choice for their discount!

I here ya having a back up income gives peace of mind - do you need it to be from home or do you have a spouse where to could work an evening or weekend?

I have friends who sell Avon, Scentsy, epicure , Pampered chef and so forth?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Cocoon, I would personally look into a job, like Avon, where you don't have to go out and about and have parties. The one problem I find with Epicure, Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Discovery Toys, etc. is that you have to have their products and store them, and go to parties on either your evenings and weekends. I was looking into these jobs before I opened my home daycare and dance school.

From personal experience, I have a dance school that I run and teach 3 evenings and Saturdays each week; you don't want too much time taken away from you. You want to have a life too!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do Cocoon!

Euphoric !
    Something like Usborne books or Discovery Toys would still have you working with families with children which might give you more connections. For some they like this idea and others are looking for something that is adult oriented so it gets them away from the kids and toys environment in the evenings which is where avon or pampered chef come in. There are also craft oriented businesses such as stampnup, creative memories which seem to be very big around here.

If typing is something you are good at then you could make good money by posting notes around the local colleges and universities. Many will pay to have their essays and reports typed especially at this time of year because they are too busy moving on to writing the next one due.

If you look on kijiji for your area under jobs there are often things listed there. My son picked up a book keeping job (he is studying accounting). It is only for a couple times a month to enter receipts and produce monthly statements but it still gives him extra money. That lady then put him in contact with friends and he now does it for 3 different people. That would be something you could do in the afternoons during naptime too so not taking up your evenings as much.

If you have a small apartment could you add an extra infant as they need less space for play.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thank you all for your responses.

Inspired by Reggio, I actually prefer to work from home. Hubby is working long hours already and he did worked in the evenings for couple of months until I step in and said enough. He was coming home very very tired. He could barely eat his food and off to bed.

Play and Learn, I was thinking Avon but I really don't know anybody here except 3 ladies(my clients). And I don't think I can sell anything as I don't like rejections
    I wish I could dance

Playfelt, I looked for typing jobs on the internet but all I can see agencies advertising typing jobs and I need to pay them to be on their books. Which I'm not going to. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post notes in universities here but I will find out.

Does your son have to go to the office to pick up all the receipts? How does he enter all the data on a system? He probably has remote access to the system.

I already advertised for the third child and got responses. I mentioned this on my post "dilemma" but we haven't sign the contract yet. My apartment has only 2 bedrooms and sleeping arrangement will be very difficult as I can't put 2 kids in one bedroom as one of them sleeps only 40 to 60 mins max. and the other one sleeps 2 hours. I have a den which I'm thinking of turning into a bedroom. Den is not seperate from our living area it is just like another corner of our apartment so it's not really a separete area but I'm thinking to put a curtain to make it like a room.

I prefer to do something online or on the computer. Or teaching. I'm good with maths but I can only teach up to a high school level. But who wants to send their kids to learn simple maths anyway

Thank you again for all your suggestions.
    Cocoon

Euphoric !
    I don't really sell Avon, but I email the brochures to my daughters and some friends and take a few orders. You have to sell a lot of Avon to make a profit. I make about $1 a month, teehee. You have to be able to go out to knock on doors to find customers unless you have a lot of friends and family and co-workers who place orders with you regularly, but that's just my experience and I wanted to tell you honestly.

For a couple of years I made greeting cards and someone I knew took them to her place of business and sold them for me and I made some extra cash that way. Do you have a hobby and make anything that you could take into a consignment store or sell on kijiji? Just an idea.

The other ladies gave wonderful advice and ideas. Is there a college or university near you and could you advertise there to type papers for the students?

Euphoric !
    For the bookeeping by son goes to their house an afternoon or evening and does the work there. They have the program on their computer he just has to do the inputting and compiling the reports which the person then prints. This form then goes to their accountant. What he is really doing is what we do for our book keeping is to record what we spend etc.

For the maths there will be kids in elementary needing a tutor. There are some agencies that coordinate as in match up people needing a tutor and those available.

For the typing there will be bulletin boards all over campus. Just look for any board that has student's ads on it for books for sales, rooms for rent, and put ads up there for typing. Most buildings are open to the public so you can pretty well go wherever you want on campus.

Expansive...
    You could try a site like www.contractxchange.com
    You have to have a VOIP phone line and pretty fast high spped internet and a decent PC and you have to pay for your own training but it does work.

I spend about 2 years working contracts (DE and ACT) and made good money. It depends. It has to be something that you are willing to do, to invest in and also be aware that these businesses fluctuate. You are basically like a call centre agent for these companies. There can be times of the year where you make good money and times of the year where things might slow down. It is also a little hard to do if you only have evenings and weekends.

It does work and it is legit but I wouldn't do it as DEPENDENT income. That's why I started a daycare to make sure I have a more steady income

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you have teaching experience, you could offer to tutor some people on the evenings and weekends. You could check at the Sylvan Learning centre, find out what qualifications you would need to work with them. Or you could do it privately, and find clients the same way we do with daycare.
    I don't have ANY idea how much money that makes, but I would think it's okay.