Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ECE courses

Outgoing

ECE courses

Who all has their ECE diploma/degree? Did you get it before you opened your own day home? Does anybody know if it's possible to do any related courses online and if so, can the practicum part be done in your own day home or does it have to be a registered/licensed program?

I got my ECE back in 1988 well before doing home childcare

Depends which province you are located in and the criteria for their ECE program whether it can be completed solely online or distance education?

I know here in Ontario you can do much of it online, distance Ed or part time in evenings however there are placement requirements to get your actual diploma that could be potentially challenging if you are self employed - you would have to do 4 six week placements in centres during the work day hours centres are open so would have to take time off work to complete that here
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Yup Reggio is correct. I've heard people that have tried it online and found it very difficult. I quite enjoyed taking the classes, I guess I had some great profs!

I graduated in 2004, and then went on to take a university degree and a certificate in office admin before thinking of opening up a home daycare. I was always interested in opening up but AFTER having kids, not before!!! lol I did that a little backwards!

Outgoing
    Thanks. I've looked into it a bit for Alberta and like you guys have mentioned, looks like it could be tough with already being self employed.

Yep, I have looked too. I think it's pretty much Canada wide, the practicum portion.

Bummer about that, as we certainly know what we're doing. In an apprenticeship program, they will count hours already earned towards your apprenticeship, but of course a licensed person would have to sign off on that, even if we COULD do that as the hours pertained to running our day home. I have a degree, but I would most definitely get my ECE degree or diploma if I didn't have to quit my job to do it. Sigh.

Euphoric !
    Takiong some of the courses that you think would be the most beneficial to you in your home daycare and then when you do interview you can say "have taken some ECE courses" and while you dont' have a full ECE degree it will still show your committment to learning more about providing quality care.

There is a course available at some colleges that is specific to home daycare - St. Lawarence College in Kingston used to offer it here in Ontario - not sure if they still do. And I think it was availble through distance learning too.

Another course that is available and specific to home daycare is available through the Ottawa CCPRN in actual hands on workshops but you can also do it by distance through some groups - there was a childcare association in Barrie that was offering the program online - it is in three sections and several modules in each.

Anything that shows you are taking an interest in the children and providing better care will be important to parents.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I'm all for life long learning. I take online courses all the time. Some for the business and some just because they interest me. If being a student could ever be a full time job, I'd be all for it I know, I'm weird but I loved college/university..just don't like paying the loans back haha. You could do the courses online/distance education. The actual placement you would have to do at another daycare meaning you would have to close yours during that time or have someone cover for you. I would do what playfelt said if you don't want to close and just take courses from the ECE program, you can always add those to your walls to display your education Things are always changing in the way of education. I know I took one course on behaviour management and now they don't actually want parents/providers/caregivers to use any of the techniques taught back then as they say now they don't work and have a whole new course with all new techniques.

I agree about the life long learning - staying motivated and on top of best practice in your field is key - specially in an industry in which changes over the years are common as we learn more about how the little brains develop and learn from past theories which over time have shown to not have the long term desired effects on children's optimal well being and so forth.

However - and my professional association would slap me if they heard me say this ... I do not think you NEED a ECE DEGREE to be a home childcare provider ... to be honest I worked with many people over the years who had a degree and were USELESS in a group care environment - a piece of paper does not make you an optimal educator!

Honestly - I am an RECE.c ... so in addition to my diploma I actually I went on and got certified through my professional association here in Ontario and am also Registered now here in Ontario with the College of ECE ....however truth be told much of what I learned back in 1988 is no longer practiced so if I had got my degree and never 'opened another book' or 'attended another workshop' my 'expertise' would be VERY OUTDATED and NOT BEST PRACTICE at all but I could still advertize to clients that I am an ECE but it would not neccessarily mean parents were getting 'better service' than someone else who does not have that piece of paper

Much of what I have learned to be best practice and practical skills in working with children and excelling at offering a thriving program I learned ON THE JOB and through attending workshops and seminars AFTER graduation that were on topics relevant to my work and environments and my developing philosophy for curriculum that is vastly different from the 'theme based boxed curriculum' taught to me in school!

I am not sure how things work in Alberta but here in Ontario there are LOADS of professional development opportunities for home childcare providers and caregivers in general .... Public Health offers workshops, seminars and networking around nutrition, dealing with various 'developmental milestones' with children of varied ages, the Ontario Early Years Centres offer workshops and seminars for both parents and caregivers on a wide variety of topics both behaviour and guidance geared as well as 'programing / activity' ideas and so forth, the libraries offer interesting seminars, the Colleges offer evening courses on a wide variety of topics and so forth and often Licensed childcare centres open up their professional development conferences and seminars to the public so you can piggy back on attending those as well.

Seriously IMO unless you plan to work in a centre at some point where ECE is a 'requirement' for employment I would think choosing a post secondary education that was more 'eclectic' to various job opportunities once you no longer want to be 'working from home' might be a wiser investment in $$$ ... take the child related courses as the elective options and perhaps some business or other more versatile 'degree'?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I agree with you IBR that a piece of paper doesn't make you a better caregiver. I have no background education in this field - just a mom - and I still feel I do great at it. Getting more informed and learning new things about the field is what has me interested in looking into some different courses/workshops/etc. I will definitely research my area and see what they have to offer to better educate myself. Thanks!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc1982 View Post
    Who all has their ECE diploma/degree? Did you get it before you opened your own day home? Does anybody know if it's possible to do any related courses online and if so, can the practicum part be done in your own day home or does it have to be a registered/licensed program?
    Hey there-

I completed my degree in Early Childhood Education and Family Studies the year I opened my daycare.

I do not think that you can be the supervisor for your own practicum. With my Schooling I had to take my practicum in daycares in close enough proximity to my University. Also up until 4th year my practicum location was assigned to me.

Practicum is usually 2 days a week for about 12 weeks each year - this is for a 4 year University course.

With Colleges it is often 3-4 days a week because it is only a 2-3 year diploma.

Good Luck!