Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

How do you manage pay for daycare?

Hello everyone!

How do you manage to pay for daycare? Are there any tips you can provide that could be useful to other parents?

Looking forward to reading you!

Shy
    Im a parent and provider so have been on both ends. If you have more than one child then try to find a provider that will offer a discount on siblings.

Shy
    I think parents have to realize that it is expensive to raise children whether you stay home with your children or if you work outside of the home. I think shopping around and checking out different providers is the best advice but TRY (I know it is hard) to not let money be your final vote because if you talk to the provider you really want to go to maybe she can work something out with you especially if she really wants you for her daycare. Sometimes a parent can ask for a sibling discount (it is hard though because we are only allowed 5 daycare children at any given time and this is a business we are running) or ask if you help by bringing your child's food or groceries every now and then for all the children as food is our biggest expense or if there is another service you can offer your provider. For example if you are an accountant you could do her taxes for her at income tax time, a mechanic could fix her van, a restaurant owner you could give her and her family free meals, a massage therapist okay you get the picture. So ask parents you never know what your provider will say but do keep in mind if she says no it is not personal it is business and she is not a horrible person and in daycare just for the money but she has a family to financially support too and it is a hard job but we do LOVE it!

Love: Mrs. Laurie

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mrs. Laurie For This Useful Post:

Shy
    A lot of parents just assume they won't qualify for a government childcare subsidy but it's definitely worth finding out for sure. Even if you end up paying $30 per day instead of $40 that's a significant savings so check to find out if you qualify. I was making $37k annually before I transitioned into providing home childcare and I only paid $135 PER MONTH for childcare.

Shy
    Thank you Mrs. Laurie for speaking so well on providers' behalf. I know it's a huge expense but private providers do have a cap on our earnings since we can only have 5 children. There is no climbing the corporate ladder here. Food and craft expenses go up every year but parents seem to expect to pay what they did 10 years ago. Good daycare is an investment into their child's welfare for 3 years that pays off when their child is well cared for, well nourished and stimulated by crafts, and play while they have peace of mind while continuing to invest in their own career.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hardworknmama For This Useful Post:

I agree hardwornmama ,groceries especially are so expensive now it is crazy.You want to provide the healthy meals and snacks ,and maybe a treat now and then and its tough while keeping your prices down.As for the corporate ladder the only thing us care givers climb is the poopy diaper ladder lol.

Euphoric !
    Also important to remember that the daycare expenses are temporary in the sense that each child will reach school age. Just as a parent of twins or triplets needs to do things at the same time you would be paying the same amount whether you had the children close together or 5 years apart so you only had one in care at a time. So for the 3-5 years you have both in care it will mean some sacrifices but realize it is temporary.

As far as asking your daycare provider for a sibling discount do not expect it to be more than a couple dollars since she too only has a limited budget to work with. They may be siblings but if you are not comfortable with the caregiver making them share one meal or one craft or take turns going on outings then realize she needs full funds for both children to provide a full program for both children. She also needs to bank any extra funds since when you leave you will create two openings meaning a big void in her income.

As daunting as daycare can be when you look at some of what you aren't paying for you can cut costs. The daycare provider is giving a meal and two snacks, providing craft supplies, that sort of thing so provide activities that don't cost a lot of money. Cook on weekends to have meals in the freezer instead of buying ready to serve foods or eating out. Take your own lunch to work instead of buying. Don't stop for a coffee on the way to work. There are sacrifices that parents can make and realizing it is only for a couple years can make it easier. Also realize that your sacrifices means that your children will be getting the best care possible when you are not with them and that is worth every sacrifice you need to make.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

I guess I look at it differently (shame on me lol). I provide all kids the equal amount of love and care, so why should I be paid less? Most times with siblings it ends up costing me more and is more risky if they give notice etc as you now have 2 spots to fill. I gave up a very highly paid management career because I didn't want to pay out for 2 kids in ft daycare....I figure it is a choice right? Don't have kids close together if you don't want to pay high daycare. I just at times feel people try to play on our emotions and make us feel guilty but bottom line this is a business and what pays our bills to provide for our families. I keep my rates competitive with other providers in my area (currently at 37 per day) I felt bad that I put them up higher BUT I had no choice after the hydro rates went up and my house insurance. I also have more qualifications than others charging the same rates, so I went ahead and did the increase. I gently tell families who ask for a discount that I prefer not to take siblings as it is more risky for my business.....that usually gets the conversation onto a different topic. Plus in my head I always think why "cheap" out on finding the best care....just my 2 cents ;-)
    "The laugh of a child is the life of a house"

Outgoing
    well, Quebec is the place to be! $7 daycare! Of course as a daycare provider the rest of our income is subsidized by the governement. Downside is that it's too easy and cheap for parents to send their kids to daycare, even when it may not be necessary. And instead of reserving these spots for those who need it, it's open to EVERYone. A Dr and Lawyer (so stereo-typing) have as much right to it and a single mom working minimum wage.

Euphoric !
    Off topic; but reading about the $7/per day fees in Que makes me wonder if there will ever be a Canada wide standardization of fees and such....
    There just seems to be such a HUGE variance between regions. I mean, outside of the $7, some say thier daily rate is in the low 20's and others the high 40's.
    Just musing....