Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Single mothers

Outgoing

Single mothers

I bought a Chariot stroller couple of weeks ago and now I'm selling as it is taking up so much space and I live in an apartment. I didn't think it will take that much space. Anyway, I have advertised to sell it and I received an email asking me if I consider reducing the price. I'm selling it at a price I bougth but willing to reduce couple of $ just to get my space back. Anyway, I responded saying I may if the offer is reasonable. She then email me back saying" I'm a single mother and I can offer $100. By the way, I'm selling it for $450. Firstly, why do you mentioned that you are a single mother and what on earth were you thinking when you offer $100 for a $450 stroller.
    I've sold some stuff on kijiji and I always receive emails starting "I'm a single mother" bla bla bla but I have never! Ever received one email saying "I'm a single father"

Im very skeptical whenever I hear "single mother". I have couple of male friends who went thru a divorce and those "single mothers" ruined their life. They looted them. They played the victim and got more then what they suppose to. Now, whenever I hear a "single mother" first thing comes to my mind is "rich mother" and I have NO sympathy for them. I know I should t think like this but from what I've seen and I have seen a lot! This is how/what I think. I know all single mothers will get mad at me but I'm sure you also witness or heard a divorce story where women looted and played the victim. I even had an ex friend who married with a loaded guy just to divorce him after a couple of years later and got half of everything he had. She now goes on holiday pretty much all around the year. Life eh?

I felt like responding her email " if you really are a single mother then I'm sure you dont have financial difficulties as I'm sure you looted your ex and plus you're getting decent help from the government." By the way, I checked her email address and found her on Facebook and I could see where she went for holidays! Single mother! My foot!!!

I'm no means of attacking single mothers, but i do not belive in their honesty.

Expansive...
    Hmmmm, I take offense to this. Perhaps someone is embarrassed to make such a low offer and feels she needs to explain. I was a single mother with my daughter...received ZERO child support, no government help and went through college then university. It sucks that since I was single people assume I was a manipulative bitch who drained my ex's bank account and lived the high life while garnering sympathy from all those around me? Um, no. I was a young girl who became pregnant by accident but fought my way through the years on an incredibly limited income earned by my part time job. It really is unfortunate that you would discriminate this way, time to open your eyes maybe.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was a single mother of 4 for years and years and I worked 2 jobs to make ends meet and got out of my first marriage with absolutely nothing but our lives. I didn't loot my second husband, but at least he left the furniture for us. He had nothing to loot. He was a mail carrier!

But I don't take offence at what you are saying Cocoon because I think that woman has a hell of a nerve offering $100 for a $450 stroller! Playing the single mother card is stupid in my opinion.

Outgoing
    Lou, as I have stated on my post I dont mean to attack single mothers. And also mentioned that I checked her email and found her Facebook where I could see her holiday pictures around the world! by saying that she is a single mother and try to get sempaty from me wont work especially, after i have seen her pics. I would give a discount if it was a single father

I have a single mom friend who recently lost her partner. All her friends offered her help financially and emotionally. She refuses to accept financial help cause she doesn't need it. And she is not playing the poor single mom card. I'm actually very! Proud of her and respect her even more!

You should not be offended by my post if you are not like them. I'm talking about the single moms who are manupulative and getting or try to get their ways by using their status.

And why Chariot? Can't she look for a less expensive one? If she is a single mom on a thigh budget then she should go for the cheaper option. I think this woman is mixing with her "needs" with her "wants"

Momof4, exactly! By playing the single mom card won't change my mind. If she was to ask a discount I would offer her but not after I found her to be a "single mom" who travels around the world. If she emails me again I may ask her how was the holiday in Maui? She might own the villa as she put villa picture saying "xxxxx villa" you never known I guess it depends how single mother she is ))

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoon For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I see both side of this, as I understand some single mothers have been left with not a dime to their name and no support and are forced to struggle to make ends meet for 1, 2, 3 or more children. I envy the mothers that are able to make this work on their own. When my husband works weekends and I am alone to be with the kids ALL WEEKEND, I almost lose my mind. I dont know how they do it 24/7
    However, you do come across the single mothers who are recieving allowances, govt assisstance, and are now supported by a new partner, but still declare 'single' status.
    Anyways, I too, sell many items on kijiji, and VERY often I get that email started by 'Im a single mother blah blah". Sometimes I think some of them use this statement a freebie card for them to make low-ball offers. Espicially the ads "Looking for kids size 12m clothes...I cant afford much as I am a single mother. I'd prefer Carters and Osh Kosh brand only please." Come on.
    Anyways, only sell for the price you want, dont let that affect your price negotiation if you are not comfortable with it.
    Last edited by KingstonMom; 08-11-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Expansive...
    "whenever I hear a "single mother" first thing comes to my mind is "rich mother" and I have NO sympathy for them"

"" if you really are a single mother then I'm sure you dont have financial difficulties as I'm sure you looted your ex and plus you're getting decent help from the government."

"I'm no means of attacking single mothers, but i do not belive in their honesty. "

^^These quotes from your original post are not directed at the one women who made a ridiculous offer for an expensive stroller, but are general statements that apply to all single mothers. It's assumptions like this that make single parenthood suck for those of us who try our hardest to provide a decent life for our children. Always looked down upon. It's attacking the integrity and honesty of a certain social group and so yes, I am offended.
    Our vehicle has been stolen 3 times by a certain ethnic group, but do I go on questioning the honesty of the entire population of that group? No way. A couple bad apples aren't representative of the group as a whole
    I just think everyone needs to be a little more responsible before making blanket statements.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    Ok so I would be ticked if someone lowballed me like that and tried to garner sympthay by saying she is a single mother. That I understand. But simpily don't sell to her.

However your further comments made me see red. I am not a single mother but was still so offened at your blatant discrimination against an entire social grouping. Based off of your seemingly limited exposure to single mothers (a couple of male divoriced friends) you tar all single moms with the same gold digging brush. Have you ever met a deadbeat father? Are all fathers without primary custody deadbeats?

I know people on all sides of this equation. The single father w/o support from the mom, the father w/o primary that would never dream of missing a payment or a visit, the dead beat, the gold digger, and the single mom w/o help from the father. I even have one good friend wherein the father refuses to be a part of the childs life (has never met him) but has never missed a payment in 10 years. That's the thing you seem to be missing... there are many sides to this and you are choosing to look at it in black and white "single mom = gold digging b*tch, divoriced dad = man to be pitied".

I agree completely with the above statement I just think everyone needs to be a little more responsible before making blanket statements.

Furthermore I think you really want too far checking out this womans facebook. Can you say privacy invasion? Again you are making snap judgements based off a few pictures on a strangers facebook. You have no idea if that was a trip that she saved for years to afford, a gift from a friend or family member, something she was obligated to do to attend a destination wedding, even something she won on the radio. You simpily have no idea.
    Last edited by Toregone; 08-11-2012 at 04:23 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toregone For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was the very, very poor single mother you are thinking about, trust me. I didn't sleep for about 15 years wondering how I was going to pay the next bill.

But I think Cocoon was smart to check out the woman's facebook and realize that she wasn't going to see to her because she's a scammer. And I don't think you ladies should be angry because we should all be able to express our opinions on an open forum and Cocoon has obviously had bad experiences with single Moms or has a reason for her opinion based on her experience and didn't know the single Moms in my shoes.

I just hope our posts have made Cocoon realize there are a lot of us who spent our whole lives working hard to make ends meet and still managed to get our children through university and into their own productive adult lives before having two nickels to keep in their purse and are still paying off their debts for raising these children far into their 50's after the children are gone!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Ladies--- please??

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Ladies--- please??
    What? We are ok! Just talking!