Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magnetic board?

Starting to feel at home...

Magnetic board?

I'm looking for a magnetic board for my daycare hallway. Have you ever heard of a board that's magnetic on one side and a felt board on the other? Has any one done this? I know that it's easy to make felt boards. Any ideas of where to purchase a board for a good price??

thanks!

I would see if IKEA has them first...http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10159443 something like this?
    Last edited by Play and Learn; 05-10-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: adding site...

Euphoric !
    Almost any of the whiteboards you can purchase at staples or similar store is magnetic and then you could put your felt on the other side. These would tend to be heavy so probably I would just put the whiteboard on the wall and leave it and do something else for my feltboard.

You could get creative with cookie sheets or even buy sheet metal by the piece and screw it to the wall and then use wood trim to go around it to cover the edge.

Expansive...
    I may have entirely lost my mind but- isn't there magnetic paint? I know there is chalkboard paint...

Euphoric !
    Yes there is magnetic paint. Word of warning though it takes many coats to get it strong enough and I have heard once it is done it is hard to paint over the area. But in a playroom if that is what it is always going to be then it would be fine to use. The alternate would be to paint a piece of wood and then mount that which would mean you could remove the wood without affecting the wall.

Expansive...
    Playfelt- awesome idea!

Sorry for bumping...just my experience...

You can make your own chalkboard paint by mixing non-sanded tile grout in with the paint. We did this inside my kids' playhouse. You can mix it with any color you want. I guess the drawback is, you'd be brushing it on, instead of spraying it.

My wife found this on Martha Stewart .com:

Start with flat-finish latex paint in any shade.

1. Pour 1 cup of paint into a container. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. Mix with a paint stirrer, carefully breaking up clumps.

2. Apply paint with a roller or a sponge paintbrush to a primed or painted surface. Work in small sections, going over the same spot several times to ensure full, even coverage. Let dry.

3. Smooth area with 150-grit sandpaper, and wipe off dust.

4. To condition: Rub the side of a piece of chalk over entire surface. Wipe away residue with a barely damp sponge.

I also did a wall with magnetic paint like this https://besttoolexpert.com/chalkboard-paint/ in my son's bedroom. It is very magnetic but it needed 3 or 4 coats and it is very difficult to apply as it has metallic particles in it. We did magnetic poetry on it and he could put up photographs, school notices etc. It would have taken a bigger poster but would nave needed lots of magnets. It is hard to get the surface level becaue of the particles going clumpy but after lots of perseverence and 3 x as much paint as I thought would be involved it was sucessful.

Euphoric !
    There is magnetic paint. My husband made big board to cover our electrical panel. He framed it using some spare door trim which he painted white. It's secured to the wall with velcro and also has a little ledge at the bottom to support the weight. It used to have chalk board paint on it but we never used it as a chaulk board so he repainted it with magnetic paint and we use it to display children's art work each week before being sent home on Friday.

Outgoing

The post is from 2011. A Loooong time ago. We have easier solutions now. No painting no building etc.

Visit walmart they have a big sticker like chalk board you just peel the paper cover (same as the stickers) and place it where you like I bought two I placed one on a metal (for magnets); and one to be used as an inf. Board.

The thing lasts for ever it is water proof. My kids use it just as a regular black board.

My inf. Board is also becoming obsolete, this year will change it for an interactive digital board.

Looks interesting