Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar

Second hand smoke

I have a little boy in my daycare that smells so strongly of cigarette that sometimes my eyes burn!
    I don't understand how in this day and age a parent can smoke in their kid's face like that !
    I don't have anything against smokers , I used to be one. But I NEVER smoked around my kids .
    This poor little boy smells so bad. Even the other kids notice it : (
    I guess there is not much I can do in this situation....

Wash the kids face after parent leaves?

I would die as I am allergic to cigarette smoke....

I wish it was that simple... his clothes , skin, hair, nails... everything smells! I once washed his snow suit 3 times and it still smelled.

Ewww....so gross. They probably smoke in the home and in the car then. Poor kid.

oh for sure.. the mom doesn't have a car so she must smoke a LOT at home : (
    I was wondering... since you are allergic to cigarette smoke do you tell parents so as to not end up having an indoor smoke's child in your home ?
    I am not allergic but it really , really bothers me ( sore throat, burning eyes etc.)I think I will ask parents when they call about any spots I have.

I state that I'm allergic to smoke and perfume - instant migraines. Haven't had a parent smelling of it.

In my manual I think I wrote that my home (one acre property) is smoke-free and perfume-free.

Although I do have one parent for my dance school that reeks of it. The parents don't usually come into the home unless I ask them to - thank god!

Starting to feel at home...
    I dont allow children of smokers. I know it sounds mean but I have children in my care with allergies, I try to weed them out in the interview.

But, if one slipped in I would most likely change the childs clothes upon arrival... but it sounds like that option wont work for you (because of his skin/hair).

Euphoric !
    I would simply be upfront with the family and say that the smell of smoke is causing health issues and unfortunately you are going to have to terminate. Then discuss a timeline so that the family has plenty of time to look for alternate care. Presumably this is something that came up soon after the family came into care so they likely still have the names of other providers they interviewed as well as you as a provider may still be able to reach one of the other families you interviewed. Was the smell not an issue at the interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    I state that I'm allergic to smoke and perfume - instant migraines. Haven't had a parent smelling of it.

In my manual I think I wrote that my home (one acre property) is smoke-free and perfume-free.

Although I do have one parent for my dance school that reeks of it. The parents don't usually come into the home unless I ask them to - thank god!
    ah , yes... perfume gives me migraines as well. Not very fun since everyone seems to wear it these days !
    My contracts also state my home is smoke free but I never thought to add perfume free. Thanks : )
    That's great that you don;t have any problems with the current parents you have!

Quote Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
    I dont allow children of smokers. I know it sounds mean but I have children in my care with allergies, I try to weed them out in the interview.

But, if one slipped in I would most likely change the childs clothes upon arrival... but it sounds like that option wont work for you (because of his skin/hair).
    Yeah, the smell is really stuck on him and besides all his "spare clothes " smell just as bad.
    I used to ask the parent if they smoked in their home during my phone interviews but I somehow forgot with this one . Won't be making that mistake twice!