Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

New daycare opening (financial aid)

I am going to be opening a new home based daycare in May or June in Markham ont

I'm from b.c and I know there is subsidy for parents for lic and non lic daycare is this the case in Ontario as well?

Will there be help to parents who In role in my program?

No, unless you work for an agency.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    The only way parents can access subsidy when enrolled in a home daycare is if the home daycare is affiliated with a licensed home childcare agency such as Wee Watch etc. But that is only when the agency has subsidy money available, and I believe in many areas that is frozen a lot of the time until new funds are released. Also, home daycares who affiliate with an agency lose approximately 30% of their income because the agency skims it off the top. IE: The agency charges the parent $45 per day, for example, and only pays you the caregiver $32 of that. I would strongly recommend educating yourself fully about agency affiliation vs operating privately (but still legally). Most of us who are experienced in the field do not choose to sign with an agency because the cost is prohibitive and what they offer is not of much value to us. (and certainly not 30% of our income worth)

Have you looked into the current laws governing home daycare in the area where you will be living (Ontario)? There are some potential legislative changes being discussed and debated in Gov't right now, but the best place to start is with the Gov't website detailing the current laws.
    http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/choices.html Here is one page, scroll down to the blurb on Informal Care - which references the only current rule with regard to private home daycare. I'd also recommend searching this forum and Facebook for the threads on the new Bill 143 to modernize child care, to give you information on the legislation they are working on and how it may affect you.

Good luck with your new daycare opening!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jammiesandtea For This Useful Post:

I have been reading up and have had so much help from the wonderful ladies on this forum. I have decided to be a home based unlicensed childcare provider. But looking into how to make sure my location is safe and fully childproof. Lucky there are services out there that can come into your home and help you make sure it's safe that your fire alarms are in working order etc.