Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Anyone in their previous life have a teaching degree

I have some questions.

Euphoric !
    I have my BEd in primary/Junior level.

Expansive...
    I have a BEd too, for kindergarten to grade 8. What are you wondering?

Outgoing
    ok, my dd is going into grade 11 and has always wanted to be a teacher. Well we need to choose her courses for grade 11 and we are kinda stuck as to what would help her get into the university.

you see, its grade 11 and grade 12 gpa that will get you into the university (of windsor) and with a gpa of 70%. Well my dd is an honor student (always has been) but the university site isn't helping me with what exactly are they looking for. She can take alot of dumb classes to get a high gpa but that would be pointless kwim.

she wants to be a primary teacher, but to be able to teach french. So she is taking french. Should she take biology, chem or physics, or there is now sociology or what. And the school guidence counclor said to me "she should take what she likes" ya, well that would be the whole art department lol!

I hate that they have now changed all this university and college stuff, and to make matters worse, my other dd wants to be a highschool teacher--she thinks she's going to save every kid out there lol!

Outgoing
    If she's thinking primary, she should take a variety of courses to cover all of the areas covered in the curriculum. Everything from art to science and math, to social and English (and French), and PE. Though she doesn't necessarily need the highest level available - why take AP chem and calculus to teach fifth graders? Primary ed students have a generalized degree, so their university courses will reflect the same, with child development and ed specific courses as well.

Your secondary dd should take the highest level of courses she can, but her degree will be specialized so she'll choose a major and a minor and can choose her high school courses to reflect that. So if she wants to teach science and math she should take the highest level of those courses, but may not have a need for art, or vice versa.

I'd suggest taking the upper level English classes for both though. They'll need to write papers regardless.

Expansive...
    Focus on Math and Science, as well as French. Also, when she is in university have her focus on these areas as well. I wish someone had given me this advice when I was getting my degree. These areas are also what principals are looking for their teachers to be skilled in. For sure she can take a couple of fun classes, but if she wants to have an appealing transcript when she is looking for a job then Math, French and Science is the way to go. So in high school she should be taking courses that will make her eligible for university level courses in biology, pre-calculus, etc.

Even if she is going to be a kindergarten teacher, the market is so flooded with new teachers that she is going to need to do what she can to stand out.
    Last edited by AmandaKDT; 02-24-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Outgoing
    ok, well she's taking math (its university math at a college level) and she is taking biology now, and chemistry in grade 12. The school doesn't help much kwim, but thats like alot of schools. She can always fall back on dance too as she already has 13 yrs of it. I hate that we have to look so far in advance for these things.

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't have my BEd but had wanted to teach. Still do. But with a BA in Soci.... I couldn't afford to take my chances on getting a teaching job after 2 years tuition of an education program (in Nova Scotia).

If I had to do it all over again, I would stick with sciences and math. French is a HUGE bonus. Even if she doesn't end up doing her BEd, these disciplines will give her more options, as far as university programs. You can do an arts degree with pretty much any background but an arts degree is not an 'in-demand' teachable.

Also, get some experience with school-aged kids. Volunteer at local schools, tutoring, etc.

Outgoing
    what exactly do they classify sciences because I know it can mean so many things. Does working in my daycare work as experience lol!

Starting to feel at home...
    Is she in high school still? Or uni?

Sciences: bio, chem, physics I would think that if she decided not to get into teaching, that would offer her more opportunity than an arts degree. Just my experience, anyways. Advice I'm giving my teen (who also wants to teach). And all just my own opinion. I just *finally* graduated 2 years ago with my BA and math, science and french were the biggies that they were looking for here in NS. My soci (for primary level, which I wanted) was low on the priority list so I never went on.

If she has a solid french background that's a huge bonus.

And here, you complete a BA and then apply to your BEd, which is 2 years, compared to ON of 10 months (I think, last time I checked).

When I was checking for requirements, daycare wasn't considered the best volunteer experience as it isn't the age group she would be working with. They wanted something in the schools. I taught yoga at lunchtimes. If she has dance experience, they would probably love to have her do an afterschool program or something. That would look fantastic on her application.
    Last edited by nschildcare; 02-24-2014 at 04:47 PM.