Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

He came over expecting an interview... did I do the right thing?

Okay, so I've recently completed an over-the-phone interview with a mother who will be moving to my town and wants her three-year-old son to have a spot in my day care. The interview went really well -- she is happy with my fee, she agrees with all my policies, and seems very nice. I told her that if she would like me to hold the spot (her child's first day wouldn't be until May 20) that she will have to send me the $100 deposit. She told me that her ex, the child's father, who does currently live in town would be in touch with me to drop it off.

He got in touch with me and said that he would come by today during nap time (around two o'clock) to drop off the $100. Well, the kids were all sleeping and he came to the door. I welcomed him in and it was a bit awkward, he was just standing there, and then he said that he wanted to take a look around the place and talk to me a bit.

I told him that we could absolutely schedule a face to face interview, but that I wouldn't be able to do it today as I was about to wake the kids up. He said that his ex and son would be up in mid-May, and I suggested that they decide on a day that they can come over for a play date/interview with their son and have the interview then. He said okay, and paid me the $100, but I have the feeling that he wasn't too comfortable paying the deposit without the interview.

What would you have done? Maybe I am overthinking this, lol.

Euphoric !
    I think what you did was fine. He was probably just thinking he could see the place today so it threw him off as well. I'm sure he will be happy when he has a more in depth look at your dc.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Absolutely you did the right thing! First of all the children were napping...Can you imagine the shock value if they awoke and saw a strange man peering around their daycare? secondly, you just met him and you are alone with the children and he wants to come in and look around??

You were professional and clear. He obviously was taken back, but so what. Don't second guess your decision you were spot on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post: