Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Need to ask for payment delicately?

I have a family that I gave notice to three weeks ago. The child's last day is set for Aug 8th. They requested the August cheque back so they could replace it with a new one for the lesser amount but they have yet to provide one so technically they are only paid up until July 31. I sent an email reminder last Friday and spoke to the dad on Friday as well and nothing so far.

What do I do?? Sadly the relationship has broken down with the family since the start and mom barely looks me in the eye at drop offs so needless to say I feel super uncomfortable with asking her yet again, but that being said it is my business and my mortgage needs to be paid.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel terrible things haven't turned out as we all had hoped but such is life and either way they still owe me $$ if they want him to attend until Aug 8.

TIA!

Euphoric !
    What does your contract say?

If it was me, I would let them know that you need payment on July 31. Do not accept him into care until paid.

For next time, exchange cheques on the day they bring you the new one.

Shy
    No payment. Unfortunately that means no care. I wouldn't accept them back until you are paid for the days. If they are stalling this much and have been sent reminders they clearly are trying to pull something. But maybe not. Not accepting them tomorrow morning at drop off would be a pretty good "reminder"

Expansive...
    Sometimes when I feel weird about asking about money , I send a text . I would just say what the other providers have mentioned , payment is due by tomorrow ,
    Or you will consider that they are not requiring further care as Friday is August 1,
    I hate when it gets to the point that they don't act like adults !!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree with secondtimearound. send a text tonight saying that payment is due in the morning. If they come with no cheque tell them that they cannot leave their child unless they have payment. I know we all hate chasing money but it sounds to me like they are going to see if they can get away without paying. There is nothing wrong with a reminder email and if they still show up without the money then time to get tough and say sorry no money no care. They are the ones putting you in this position and you need to stand up for yourself.

Next time never exchange a cheque until they have the new one in hand.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Lou

Starting to feel at home...
    I sent the reminder email and spoke to the mom at drop off this morning. They have not provided a cheque yet as are hoping to take vacation time next week so they want to just pay the drop in rate for tomorrow. No biggie. Thanks for the ideas.

Euphoric !
    make sure they pay tomorrow BEFORE they leave their child.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

So as I am to understand you gave back the original check BEFORE they gave you the new one?....thats the problem right there. You wont see a dime. Been there done that.

Expansive...
    No payment=no care. I use cheques too, and I never give cheques back until I have a new one, or I cash the original cheque and write them a refund cheque.

Euphoric !
    So did they pay you this morning?