Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Sneaky parents??

I have this family who parks their car a block away from my house and walks over for pickups. Do you find this strange? I get the feeling they're trying to surprise me as I can't hear the car pull up out front to let me know they're here. Any thoughts?
    Any suggestions to deter this? I've got nothing to hide, but it just makes me feel like they don't trust me.

Euphoric !
    They may be trying to "sneak" up on you or maybe even their child. I have a few parents who like to see their child in action at dc without the child knowing they're there. If they're spying on you, I can understand that too. How many times do we hear of dc horror stories and often our first thought is " how did the parents not know such and such was happening."

I have a driveway that backs up into a very busy street and we are near traffic lights which makes it even harder to get out. I've had parents park on the side street and walk over for the first little bit until they got used to the driveway or my backlane.

Could be a way to get exercise too lol. Maybe they are those people who park far away in parking lots too?

Expansive...
    We're on a very quiet steet, so I don't think it's a safety factor, but I do wonder....

Euphoric !
    Try not to let it bother you. It most likely is a very innocent thing. I have parents who park in the front driveway and they still "sneak" up on me! I am hard of hearing and with the traffic I don't hear them pull up or walk up lol

Euphoric !
    I don't think I would let it would bother me. I actually try to always act as if a parent is right there next to me which I think helps me to stay accountable. I try to live like this as well e.g. don't say something about someone you wouldn't say to their face etc.

I used to peek at my daughter when she went to a daycare centre so i could see her interact with the other kids. I told the staff though that I was not spying on them but rather watching my kid have fun without me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think it is a little odd. I had a family once that the dad used to drive by my house in his work truck (totally noticeable) at random times during the day and evening. It was creepy. I could see driving by during daycare hours to see if we were outside playing but not in the evenings when the kids were not here.

I had another mom who would peak in the basement windows when she came to pick up her child. She only did it in the beginning until she got comfortable with me.

Starting to feel at home...
    It is a little curious. If it really bugs you maybe offer that it is no problem for them to pull in your driveway. that may be just enough to let them know you have noticed they park far away.
    On that note my DD just started JK and i occasionally do a drive by to watch her playing outside lol it won't last but after being with her for 4 years i like to see that she's doing okay lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kassiemom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    It is weird.

When they ring the bell...I would make a big show of looking out left and right as if I am looking for their car and then say "Where did you park? Did you walk? You know that you are more than welcome to use the driveway."

Then see what they say

Starting to feel at home...
    I would make the comment that "I've noticed you park down the street but feel free to use my driveway." I have a teacher who knocks with a feather. She always knocked lightly and then peeks in the window as if she knows I wouldn't have heard her and she can watch while standing there. I've told her she needs to knock louder but she won't. It pisses me off too so I know how you feel. I'd rather she just look in the window and watch all she wants, then knock loudly.