Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Euphoric !
    Oh my!!! So sad and crazy that this "daycare" was able to stay in business for as long as it did....29 children, 14 dogs, unclean and adjoining homes....were they hiding the animals and kids when parents dropped off?!? How did the parents not see the mess and hoards of animals and children?

I'm not saying it's the parents fault but I do think that if the parents knew the conditions were like this than some of the responsibility lies on them too. There is no in hell I would leave a child in those conditions!!

Home daycare providers (which I don't consider these kind of people anyways!!) are the ones who give us a bad name and put the fear of death into parent's minds!! I don't like when people say "oh they're in it for the money" because we all go to work to make money but these kind of situations are different IMO and they ARE only in it for the money. People who are dcp's love and treasure children and would NEVER put them in these kind of situations. IMO, people like those in the article are just lazy idiots who want to stay home and make some money. It's no different than a puppy mill for crying out loud!! Absolutely sick!!

Does anyone know the cause of the 2 year old's death? Or did I miss that in the article?

Im in MB and while I do think that the rules are super strict here, I do have to say that in cases like this, I am glad we have lower number ratio's. Unfortunately, some people do not know their limits and take on more children than they can safely handle. In the article it said that another death happened in a dc with 12 children. That IMO is too many for one adult to safely supervise....so sad that children's lives are put at risk because some adults are too dumb to know their limits and/or break the law!!
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 10-24-2014 at 01:43 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    That's incredibly sad !! I think both parties should be charged . Why is it ok for a parent to drop off a child in those conditions and come out as a victim ? The only victim is the child . I know the argument against me would be that the parents didn't know . How could they ? I'm trying to imagine dropping off my child and not noticing smells, sounds ect
    Wouldn't you drop off and wait ? See who else comes , come early ? I don't pretend to know how to fix this problem , there is so many excellent providers under the same classification as the bad ones . The difference being the good care comply and the bad don't . I personally think those doing wrong should be punished more . Punishing all providers because of some is ridiculous .

Outgoing
    I think the parents are 100% at fault for this child's death. I've read that the child was always picked up and dropped off by the providers. Apparently there was a daycare driver that picked the children up. The parents never once stepped into the home. Not even once, so i hold the parents responsible I don't know what kind of parent would allow there child in an environment they didn't not ever tour. All in the name to save money.

Expansive...
    Oh my goodness !! That's even sadder !!!

Outgoing
    How many times have anyone had a phone call and the first question is how much do you charge?

Yes I completely understand people are on a tight budget but that should not be your first question. It's these types of families that put their children at risk by sending them to sub par providers. IMO as long as we have parents looking to save a buck and puts money before their kids well being we will always have an underground market.

Euphoric !
    I just want to clarify. This is not a new case, I believe this is the case (one of) that spurred Bill 10. They are just revisiting it to talk about the Bill more.

Euphoric !
    My neighbour across the street is the uncle of one little boy who went to the Vaughan daycare. According to him, in the case of his brother anyway, he just doesn't care. His brother and wife cared only that it was cheap and Russian. They had no idea what the children ate, did with their days, where they slept...nothing....n or did they ask. I suspect this was indicative of most, if not all, of the parents using that daycare.

This bill is entirely what spurred bill 10, absolutely. This is the one that got the most media attention and, coincidentally, the one where the Ministry dropped the ball....4 times I believe. This Bill is the Ministry deflecting the blame from themselves on to us. This is why Liz Sandals makes no bones about very publicly portraying us all as inferior and even hinting at criminal. She KNEW this Ombusdman Report was coming.

Outgoing
    Yes, I agree cfred that the ministry dropped the ball. What it really boils down to is that underground illegal home daycares would not exist if it were not for the parents who would rather save a buck then worry or care for their child's health.