Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Steps i need to take on opening an unlicensed daycare

I'm thinking of opening an unlicensed daycare/Ontario. I would like some information on how to get started. What are the steps I need to do. The steps that I need to take on opening a daycare will it take long to do. All information is greatly appreciated.

Outgoing
    The first step is to familiarize yourself with Bill 10, go to www.cicpo.ca, all of the information is there. It will have a serious effect on the way you run your business. If after that you feel it is something you still want to do, then make a contract that includes all of the policies you want your parents to follow ie: sick days for you and the children, vacation for you and the children, payment and late fees, illness policies. There are many more and if you search contracts in the search bar for this forum you will find lots of info. I hope this helps.

Outgoing
    A few tips I would give anyone starting a day home regardless of location.

1. Decide the boundaries of your business and be willing to enforce them. If you decide you want to open at 7am and close at 5pm, don't be afraid to decline those clients who want an earlier drop off or a later collection. Once you do it for one, you'll feel obligated to do it for all and before you know it, you work day has extended at both ends of the day. Other clients will come.

2. Decide what YOU want from a client and remember it's a two way interview. You are interviewing then just as much as they are interviewing you.

3. Trust your gut. If you get a vibe that someone isn't going to pay on time, is going to show up early and pick up late, believe it.

4. Put everything in writing in a contract, and make sure both you and the client signs it and you each have a copy for future reference. Contracts are vital if things go sour. Contracts are a legally binding document which both sides have agreed to and the terms. Make sure there is no ambiguous language in it. Anything conditions not in the contract, don't exist so if you amend the contracts, issue a new one for signature. If you don't get paid, that contract is all that a court has in determining if you should have been.
    Don't ever take a new client without a contract, even if you intend introducing a contract 'soon'. You will get burned.

5. Stick to your contracts. If you don't enforce them, the first time a client pays late, shows up late, or disputes payment for something they don't want to pay for, then that client will expect you to waiver other parts of it in the future. If you don't respect your own contracts, the client won't either and that pattern of non-enforcement can count against you if you end up in court.

6. Never work for cash/no receipt. In Canada, anyone who pays for a service is legally entitled to a receipt. Even if you come to a cash agreement, come tax time, that client can demand a receipt from you. Often providers who work for cash, have done so for a lower rate, thinking they won't be declaring that income and therefore won't be paying tax on it. So you could end up working for cheap fees and still having to pay taxes.

7. Get an understanding of your business expenses so you are saving those receipts from the beginning. I think most of us miss out those first couple of years on some things we could have claimed because we didn't know. If this isn't your strong point, find a book-keeper now who can help from the beginning. Their fees will be a business cost.

8. Decide on your target market. If you want the professional couples who have office hours, then you have to find out what they want from a carer and offer it. If you want the shift workers who come on a rotating shift and aren't there every day, then you have to find out what they need and offer it. Don't be tempted to be everything to everyone. You'll be exhausted trying to cover all those working hours as one individual.

9. Understand that it is a business and you will have to make business decisions. It's one thing to be friendly with clients but try not to cross the line between a business relationship and a friendship if their child is in your care. It's so much harder to stop someone from taking advantage if you view them as a friend. There will be times you have to terminate a contract - try not to feel guilty, and try to remember it's not a personal decision but a business one.

10. Allow a full year to get good quality clients to fill your places. If you just take everyone who wants to come, understand that some of those will not work out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you jodaycare and Rachael for this wonderful information

Euphoric !
    Check out the childcare providers resource network (CCPRN) here in Ottawa. On their website they have a link to a daycare start up package with information to get you started. They offer start up workshops too if you are close by and then could ask any questions that you have. www.ccprn.com

Expansive...
    what is the difference between unlicensed and illegal in Ontario?
    as in Bc there is only Licensed or Lic not required which suppose to just take 2 children plus their own children, anything else is just illegal over here

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    what is the difference between unlicensed and illegal in Ontario?
    as in Bc there is only Licensed or Lic not required which suppose to just take 2 children plus their own children, anything else is just illegal over here
    Here you goo...second post is Ontario http://www.daycarebear.ca/forum/show...ritory.-please

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Van

Shy
    Is there any other examples of any contracts that I could research. I just want to make a good contract and what are the other steps I need to follow so I could be a successful home day care.

Shy
    I'm looking into starting a private in-home daycare. I have an ECE background as long as being a behaviour therapist for children with autism. I loved my job, but I'm on Maternity leave a really want to stay home with my daughter. I have been looking into starting up a private at home daycare.
    I was curious was the average start up costs are on opening a daycare.