Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Lack of parent courtesy

I posted last week about several parents who wear their outdoor boots through my house on my hardwood and tiles. Well,it has continued even after putting a notice in my monthly letter. And, it gets better LOL! One of those same parents proceeded to walk back through my house with boots on, and stops ON my kitchen table to undress his child's outdoor wear, which is covered with dried mud and stones/dirt in the child's boots. I was talking to another parent at the time, and was shocked by this. In front of 2 other parents too. Is it just me, or is this so rude? I don't get it.. These are well educated upper class people,and I just don't know where to begin with the discussion that these things are inappropriate. OMG! Some guidance is appreciated, as I'm afraid I'll tell them what I actually think of them!

Outgoing
    Hi Busy ECE mommy....I have a solution for you! RENT MY HUSBAND FOR 5 MINUTES! I KID YOU NOT....During the summer months I always have parents who LOVE to stand at the front door and chat (with the main door open)....my husband actually came up from the basement and flat out asked the parent "DO YOU HAVE AIR CONITIONING"....they said....NO..actually we don't",,,my husband says "DIDN'T THINK SO BECAUSE IF YOU KNEW HOW MUCH AIR CONDITIONING COSTS...YOU WOULDN'T BE STANDING HERE WITH THE DOOR OPEN! Another time.., husband asks same question to another parent...they reply...YES...I have air conditioning...WHY.. ..my husband : 'WOW...I'D HATE TO SEE YOUR HYDRO BILL"...parents just look at me as if to say...wow....he's rude....BUT HE IS RIGHT....if we don't nip it in the bud...they will continue to do it...I had another parent that loved to use my 100 year old antique desk in my entrance way....for their drippy sippy cups...SERIOUSLY! Another time a parent sat his 35 lb. son on the desk to take his shoes off! I almost freaked out on him...It really is sad that we have to ask and remind GROWN ADULTS of things that should just be obvious....Honestly. ..I refuse to walk on egg shells ...putting up with parents inappropriate behavior for fear of losing a customer...I have my pride....won't let them away with it....I may sound harsh...I love my job ....I love kids...but don't walk all over me...I look after the most important, precious person in your life....

Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Hi Busy ECE mommy....I have a solution for you! RENT MY HUSBAND FOR 5 MINUTES! I KID YOU NOT....During the summer months I always have parents who LOVE to stand at the front door and chat (with the main door open)....my husband actually came up from the basement and flat out asked the parent "DO YOU HAVE AIR CONITIONING"....they said....NO..actually we don't",,,my husband says "DIDN'T THINK SO BECAUSE IF YOU KNEW HOW MUCH AIR CONDITIONING COSTS...YOU WOULDN'T BE STANDING HERE WITH THE DOOR OPEN! Another time.., husband asks same question to another parent...they reply...YES...I have air conditioning...WHY.. ..my husband : 'WOW...I'D HATE TO SEE YOUR HYDRO BILL"...parents just look at me as if to say...wow....he's rude....BUT HE IS RIGHT....if we don't nip it in the bud...they will continue to do it...I had another parent that loved to use my 100 year old antique desk in my entrance way....for their drippy sippy cups...SERIOUSLY! Another time a parent sat his 35 lb. son on the desk to take his shoes off! I almost freaked out on him...It really is sad that we have to ask and remind GROWN ADULTS of things that should just be obvious....Honestly. ..I refuse to walk on egg shells ...putting up with parents inappropriate behavior for fear of losing a customer...I have my pride....won't let them away with it....I may sound harsh...I love my job ....I love kids...but don't walk all over me...I look after the most important, precious person in your life....
    Haha My husband can get away with saying things too. The thing that I would suggest though is just being upfront in the first place and as it happens. No need to respond to rude with rude. Just be to the point and simply say, in future please do not do x,y and z. Letters don't really work for everyone, I've had that too. I know a lot of people don't like confrontation, but if we deal with problems as they arise, in person and don't pacify the parent out of fear of their response, then most issue wouldn't become chronic. I have had to go as far as to prepare myself for the offence to occur and intercept them. See it happening before it does and simply step in front of the family member and politely remind them that the front hallway is the place for outdoor wear to be removed. Do you have a bench or a bottom step available for them to do this because I can't understand why they would walk into your house to do this if there was another option which was specifically for their child that they were aware of.

Outgoing
    No I don't have a bench...but the stairs leading up to the 2nd level are right there...so normally they would sit their child on the first step and remove shoes and boots etc. I honestly don't know what the parent was thinking to sit him up on the desk! Go Figure! But yes Bright Sparks...you are right...problems should just be put out there and said or a note to them from the start....thanks for your thoughts and input...appreciate it

Outgoing
    Tell them and tell them directly. Stop what you are doing the second you see these rude adults being disrespectful and call them on it. So what if they think you are rude. They are being rude by disrespecting both you and your home, and worse they are doing it in front of their child, effectively showing them that it's okay.

It's not okay. It't acceptable. You don't have to tolerate it. I have no idea why you do.

I am a huge believer in that we teach people how to treat us by what we accept from them. If you accept them walking on your floor, and continue not to speak out even though you put up a sign, they will continue to walk on it. If you don't stop the conversation your are having with other clients, to ask that parent why the heck his child is on your kitchen table, where you and your family eat, then he's going to just continue.

If they feel this is acceptable, they have no reason to consider that you don't - unless you tell them and tell them clearly.

SANDYLYNN - I've done similar with my parents who have a habit of chatting as they pass in the door and so they leave the door open. I've said that I am not heating the street so if they want to chat, step inside, step outside, I don't care but close the door or I will increase fees to cover the ridiculous loss of heat from their lack of thought.

Address problems head on, first time. Otherwise it will grate and annoy and frustrate and resentment will build. I know as adults they should know better but unless you tell them you don't like how they treat your home, then you can't expect it to change.

Starting to feel at home...
    Do you have a gate to your backyard? If you do, lock the front door with a note that you are in the back and let them come through the gate.

In the summer we're almost always in the backyard in the afternoon, so my parents usually just come through the gate to get their kids. I have all the bags out back on the deck. This prevents people from wandering through my house and prevents me from having to take one kid out to the front door while the others are in the back unattended.

I am appalled by the thought that there are people who wouldn't automatically take off their winter footwear to walk through someone's home!

Expansive...
    Oh yeah, you're going to have to tell them sternly to their faces. Ask them to "please go back and remove your boots before walking through my house, thank you!" They're not getting it, and you need to make sure they do! People are exhausting.

I actually have a cute little sign hung up..."Since little fingers touch our floor, please remove your shoes at the door". I agree, as much as we want to directly confront; it's not always the easiest to do.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Curious to know if this was ever resolved?! Can't believe the nerve of some people.

Expansive...
    So far so good, but it just blows my mind when people have no manners.