Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Unhappy Pay your bill on time

Okay I am soooooooooooooo annoyed with about half of my daycare families!! How the hell does everyone conveniently enough forget to pay me but they don't forget to drop their kid off to daycare....I don't have any kids of my own but if I did I would ALWAYS make sure I paid on time ...how are they not embarrassed?!?! When it comes to keeping their kids home while they are sick or money and paying me on time or just in general amnesia seems to take over BUT when it comes to the 2 week free vacation I give, everyone has that part of my contract memorized!!!!! I am also getting so sick of repeating the same thing....My voice is getting raspy from repeating the same damn thing over and over and over again!!!!
    Concern number one: Why don't you pay your daycare bill on time?! I have heard of every excuse and when parents don't show up for a few days YOU NEED TO PAY THE LATE FEE!! I have a part-time who didn't show up at all this week and she asked me if I wanted to get paid cash next Tuesday or email transfer???? Well considering I have bills to pay I would think the sooner the better. When I told her I wanted the email transfer guess what NO REPLY!! I told her she has to pay on the first day she starts daycare for that week (it doesn't have to be Monday because she doesn't come until Tuesday or Wednesday) BUT when you don't show up on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday guess what lady youre paying a late fee because I need to pay my bills. Is this unreasonable or should I just let her pay when she comes next week without paying late fees for the whole week she didn't pay me?
    Yesterday I had a mom ask me if she could use the rest of this week for her free vacation days if her kid didnt come???? well hell no considering I already bought her food and craft supplies for the week so how am I going to get my money back for that?
    Concern number two: STAT HOLIDAYS!! Why do we have to pay or why can't we use our vacation days? HERES WHY....we live in Canada and if you get paid I get paid...I have to tell parents over and over and over again ALL STAT HOLIDAYS ARE PAID FOR NO VACATION DAYS CAN BE USED FOR THOSE DAYS! I just had a family who didn't pay for the stat holiday they missed and stupid me didn't count the money until now BUT I told them last week they can't use family day for a free vacation day and they told me they already knew!
    Concern number two: Open for stat holiday! So I decided that I would be open for the smaller stat holidays BUT I always have one family who would show up every time!!!! If she could come on Christmas day she would...I said okay no problem what time will you be here and she said 9-9:30 ....she didn't show up until 11 because her kid wouldn't wake up?? How rude is that considering I left my family early on family day to be here on time to watch your kid and you show up whenever you feel like it?! Besides I could've slept in!

Sorry for this vent, but I am so tired to constantly repeating myself to grown adults. I want to change my contract and get rid of vacation days. I am giving 10 right now so I want to give 5 at the most or none would be even better. Who pays for my vacation? I'm also positive that I don't get a discount on my gym membership if its closed for a stat holiday or if I have to go on vacation? Does anyone give any vacation days? I don't want to work on stat holidays and I want people to keep their kids at home when they are sick! I just got over bronchitis!

Help

In terms of getting paid on time, I accept post dated cheques only. I need 3 months initially and then when I'm down to 1 cheque they bring me another batch. There is no paying me on payday and forgetting that way. Also, no pay no care. That's something you should adopt immediately. Go home and get payment because daycare isn't free or on an IOU system. Once you have post dated cheques in hand though you won't have any more issues.

As for the vacation and stat days, is this all stated in your contract? And the parents signed it in agreeable in order to start with you I assume? Then why on earth are they complaining? Ever heard of give and inch and they will take a mile? That's what's going on here. They are successfully manipulating you when you change your contract at their request. If you do not stand firm on your policies then why should they. Are paid vacation days the norm for your area because that's all that matters not really what we all do because it's the market you are in which makes doable or not.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Yup, I'm sure most of us can relate to at least some of this.

Unfortunately, there are people in this world who "wear it like a badge of honor" that they got something for nothing. They are truly proud of themselves that they put one over on you. I have had a couple of families like this in my 10 yrs in home daycare. The only way to deal with them is directly. And in my case, they didn't stick around long.

Fortunately, the answer lies with you. Have firm rules and stick to them. If there is something going on that isn't covered in your contract or policies, then go ahead and add it.

As for the stats and vacations, I don't know. The system is different here, we get paid the subsidy for 25 days/year and can choose whether or not the parents pay their share when we are closed.

Just a random idea...but what would happen if you charged a weekly rate, don't break it down at all per day. Maybe writing it down as $200/week instead of $40/day might make it easier for some people to wrap their heads around paying for a stat. I don't know... maybe not.
    Last edited by kindertime; 03-06-2015 at 12:49 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Emma H....Honestly I could write a book....I have been doing this a loooooong time...I actually gave all the parents a note last year saying "I FIND IT EXTREMELY AWKWARD AND EMBARASSING...HAVING TO ASK...REMIND... AND CHASE PEOPLE DOWN MY DRIVEWAY FOR MY PAY..IT'S JUST WRONG....AND I WON'T DO IT ANYMORE.....IF PAYING FRIDAY MORNING IS NOT CONVENIENT FOR YOU, I HAVE NO PROBLEM ACCEPTING MY PAY ON MONDAY MORNING FOR THE CURRENT WEEK...(THAT WAY...YOU HAVE ALLLLLL WEEKEND TO GET THE MONEY TOGETHER"....Ya....G uess what Emma H....didn't work!!!! I actually have a father...who EVERY FRIGGIN WEEK...has to COUNT THE MONEY OUT TO ME....ARE YOU KIDDING ME....He is going on vaca for 2 weeks today....he's like..."how much do I owe you"....well...let' s see....2 weeks pay is double what you pay for 1 week....and the whole time....he has the exact amount in his HAND!!!!ARE YOU KIDDING ME....I will loose it one day with this guy and will enjoy every minute of it....it is coming.....

Euphoric !
    Why enable people like this?

Tell them all that you don't expect to have to beg for your pay, They know it is due and they know how much. If fees aren't paid when due, then they will not be allowed to drop off their kid until up to date. Charge fees in advance so if they are late, you have already been paid for what is done.

Rather than squabble and send these notes and reminders, just end their ability to pay late.

If fees are not in on time, send an immediate reminder that it's not been received, that fees + late fee are now due, and that payment is now required by EMT so it can be directly deposited to cover your household bills. Remind them that they will not be able to drop off their child until the debt is paid.

Euphoric !
    Get tough and fast. I don't waiit for pay and have no problem asking for it every second Friday morning! I send out a reminder the day before with their total even if it is the same. My late fee begins Friday at noon so if you forget at drop off I expect you to go home and get it and have it here by lunch. If they don't bring it until after lunch it is an extra $20. I have had a few parents have to pay the extra $20 but they never did it again. Anyone who would not pay me on the actual payday would be given 2 weeks. My finances are not flexible enough to wait until Saturday or later to be paid. I would get post dated cheques from your part-time family. That way if they are not there you still get paid. I would not let her pay when she attends next No no no!!!

You need to be more clear in your contract that stat days are paid and their vacation days cannot be used on these days. I give a reduced rate when kids go on holidays ($5 off their daily fee) but ONLY if I was given 30 days notice.

Why are you working stats??? Something else I would never do!! I would be charging more on these days if I were you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

I think we call all agree that dealing with parents is the hardest part of this job!!

I tell parents in the interview process that paying me late will get you terminated, simple as that.

Angry

I can't believe this is a THING everyone has to go through. I don't get how they're not embarrassed. I would never in a million years show up to daycare without the money. The thing is these people don't give a shit and I realized that yesterday. I had a daycare dad ask me if I really needed the money for this week or if I could wait until next week????? WHHHHHHHHAAAATTT AHAHAHAHA....I actually laughed out loud not even trying to be rude and I told him I have to pay my bills. But why does it have to come to this??? Why do we need to explain to these people why we need to get paid??? I had these issues being a nanny but I HATE talking about money it just makes me so uncomfortable....the y also ALWAYS complain about the rates???? I have families who tell me about they're whole day during pick up(as if I really care) and I have one family who constantly kept complaining how daycare is so expensive and after they pay me (700 dollars a month) they don't have much money left over for anything(I swear trying to guilt trip me).....well this same family told me the other day how the just got a new car they are going to be financing and how its expensive but so worth it .....wait what lol you complain about childcare cost but you get a car ...priorities huh....these parents are really starting to make me not like my job and slowing im loosing my mind lol
    Last edited by Emma H; 02-20-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Euphoric !
    Try not to take personal. Just think of times when you go to the mall and want a sale vs full price or want to put on credit vs pay on the day.

We a small business persons so we have to behave like small business persons.

Expect that some customers not be good customer and expect that some customer don't consider the businesses needs. Just relax and deal with issues when they arise, firmly, promptly and professionally.

If you really hate talking about money, maybe self employment not for you because talking about money is always part of small business. Sorry just being honest.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

I don't run a store I run a home daycare so items vs. good childcare are two totally different things...Some people are rude and immature even though they are grown adults with children. My issue with money is having to repeat myself that PAYMENT is due at a specific time nothing more then that, so I'm confused at to your comment about not doing home daycare because of that?