Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

Considering Downsizing...need opinions

I have just been feeling spread so thin lately. Like, I'm 100% a wonderful daycare provider but as a result, I'm only 50% of a great mother and wife...make any sense? I love my daycare babies. Love them...and their families, but as we always say "Family comes first".
    My problem is wondering how to go about it all. My husband and I have already discussed reducing our expenses, increasing his income and me going down to only 2 part time children. I hate having to choose between the families, because in all honesty I have no "bad" families or troublesome kids. Another barrier is that all of them have the ability to go down to part time as well so that doesn't help me narrow it down, lol. I considered making it a first come first serve thing...send out the notice outlining that I will only have 2 part time spaces available starting on a given date (with giving them PLENTY of notice), and the first ones to come forth will be the ones to get the spots. The will be a small fee increases as well. Is that too mean?? Is it selfish of me to not want to be the one who chooses?? How would you handle this?

This isn't a set in stone plan yet, just one of many solutions in our heads...just want some peer advice. Thank you!

Outgoing
    Would you consider asking all of your familiies to go down to part time? Maybe you wouldn't feel so stretched thin if you were only working 3 days/week, or have fewer children each day. If you started off this way, you might find parents leave on their own.

Euphoric !
    I would also look at which kids may be leaving sooner e.g. I'd keep a kid that is the 2nd kid and parents aren't looking to have more babies. An only child though, I might think twice as another mat leave may be coming up

Euphoric !
    I would do the first come thing. Even though all parents might have the option to go part time, do they want too? This would eliminate picking a family who doesn't want the new arrangement.

Looking at who may be staying longer is a good idea too! I mean families can leave whenever they want but if you know a family is leaving within a year or so, I wouldn't really want them to stay over someone who is planning on staying for another 3 years.

Euphoric !
    Ask who'd interested then pick from those that express interest based on who will be with you longer.

Expansive...
    kindertime- they are all mostly part time flex care right now (3 part time and 2 full time). On any given day I might have 2 children, or I might have 6 (including my own son..my older 2 are in school). What I am looking for is having a day off or 2 throughout the week or at least lower numbers every day.

Also, the age thing doesn't help much either, lol! They are all between 20months- 2 1/2.

It's not that I can't handle the load, that's not it at all...I'm very good at my job, I just find I want to be spending MORE time managing the household the way a full time stay at home mom would, just personal reasons, you know? Being able to be the one who takes my kids to their doctors appointments, field trips, more time to spend on our home, etc. I love taking care of kids...it's just a family first kind of deal.

Euphoric !
    One idea - what about reducing hours and seeing which clients can manage to do that? I used to work long hours. Now my day care is 07.30am until 4.30pm. I have max children I am allowed but for shorter hours. Sure, some clients can't finish on time but that's okay, they go somewhere different. It mean at end of day, I have family time not still working 12 hours.

Euphoric !
    I love the idea of doing this job 3 days a week. I never get to do cool things with my school aged daughter on PD days or take my kids to Dr appts. I only have one client currently that could manage reduced days per week but even then they need 4 days...oh, to dream!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I love the idea of doing this job 3 days a week. I never get to do cool things with my school aged daughter on PD days or take my kids to Dr appts. I only have one client currently that could manage reduced days per week but even then they need 4 days...oh, to dream!
    Wouldn't that be nice! I don't even have kids of my own but dream of only working 4 days LOL. My ideal schedule would be to be the same as teachers though. Off for the holidays and summers. My husband works for the division in the evenings and is off all summer and I'd love to be able to join him!! Maybe one day....

**actually, I'd be okay opening for the holidays to give parents some kid free time but to be off summers would be my dream!

Euphoric !
    5 Little Monkeys- you would be the perfect candidate to start only taking teachers children! I would love to do this (I also live across from a school) however I couldn't afford the slow transition to wait until I fill with teachers (you could do this gradually).