Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Unbelievable!!!!

So I just had a daycare mom pick up her daughter. This morning I gave her the gift for her baby that's on the way (thank you to everyone who helped with that). She just asked me about switching her daughter to part-time in April as soon as her baby was born ......I am so annoyed right now I just want to terminate her tonight. We had the interview in December, a couple hours after our interview she called me and told me she wanted the spot. During our interview she asked if she can switch to part time in April once her baby was born and I said no since this opening is for full-time only. Her husband even looked at her and asked her why she would even want to switch her over, she didn't say anything.

Now that it's getting closer to April she brought up part-time. I told her no way and that it would be a 1 year wait list. I had two other families who wanted the spot and I gave it to this family so I am so mad right now. I really feel like they tricked me.

What would you all do in this situation! Terminate, give back the deposit, keep it, any advice would be great!
    Last edited by Emma H; 03-02-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Euphoric !
    I would just say no again. If they end up leaving then so be it but I wouldn't terminate. It's part of the job unfortunately. It's never a guarantee how long they stay. Stand your ground. If she wants to stay it's full time pay no matter what.

Expansive...
    No, I wouldn't terminate for her asking again. Just stand your ground and if she leaves, she leaves.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Agree, just say no again and if she leaves, she leaves. Nothing you can do. Families will always leave when it benefits them (as they should even though it sucks for us!)

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't terminate at this point but I would consider putting out feelers for a replacement knowing that if you did terminate or they did in April that you would be able to fill the space right away. If it is fairly easy to fill spaces then you can wait till they do give notice - at this point expect that once her 6 weeks of recovery are up she will either insist on part time or pull the child totally - also coincides with the loss of income reality to the family and panic sets in about finances and it becomes harder to justify paying for care they don't need.

Are you able to take the baby next year as that would be the only reason worth them keeping the older child in care would be to secure a space for the baby.

I wouldn't terminate her just for asking. She's allowed to ask, just as you're allowed to say no.

I'd stick to my ground and continue to say no. This shouldn't be news to her since it was discussed in the interview. She's probably just testing the waters to see if you've changed your mind.

Full time fees whether or not she sends the child everyday. Full stop.

Good luck. It's hard to stand our ground sometimes.

When we had our interview she asked 3 times and I said NO! I told her if she wasn't planning on staying I had 2 other families who wanted the spot long term. She said no its okay, we will stay full-time, so I gave her the spot. So why would she even bother to ask knowing what my answer was. Either way I told her last night I had a family who wanted the spot so if she isn't planning on staying, I will be giving it to another family no part-time allowed. She told me this morning she wants to keep her full-time spot! Thank god

I wouldn't terminate. I would tell her that while she is welcome to bring her child part time she will need to pay the full time rate as that is what you agreed upon when she signed on. If she goes, she goes. If you don't want to lose her, then be flexible. Or you could tell her that you will let her go part time but you will be actively looking for a new full time client and when you find one, she will lose her spot. OR, if you don't want to lose her, let her go down to 3 days a week.

Sorry, must have been typing at the same time. Glad it worked out.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma H View Post
    When we had our interview she asked 3 times and I said NO!
    That big clue. Already she ask 3 times tell you that she really want what she is asking and not liking your answer. She hoping by asking again, she hear answer she want. She choosing to ignore your answer. If she ask three time and not convinced you mean it, of course she asked again.

It only March, she will ask again at month end because she think you be scared of her leaving. Bottom line, she not want or need FT care come April and she told you that from beginning. Now she reminding you that she not want or need FT care. Plus, maybe not afford FT care when time come. Don't be surprised if they quit.

I not take PT either. But I would not have taken this client knowing she was going on mat leave. Chances are even if they hoped to afford FT care, they might not be able so chance them leave even if not mentioned. But their plan has always be to reduce days.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post: