Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Do You Hold Their Baby During Interview?

Just wondering if during first interview, you hold their baby? I usually don't cuz too busy explaining daycare, but I don't want to appear cold either. I do hold babie's little hand, and talk to them but don't want to be in their face too much. You?

Outgoing
    ABSOLUTELY...I DO HOLD I usually ask the parents...."Do you think he/she will play strange if I hold them"...and when I do...I ALWAYS...MAKE SURE THEY SEE MOMMY AND DADDY....IE, I HAVE THEM FACING THE PARENTS...USUALLY WORKS OUT WELL...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I never do. I will talk to the child and maybe touch their hand, but that is usually it. They don't know me and I always give the daycare kids space while they get used to me and my daycare.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    YES! One of my very first interviews way back when, family came in with their 11 month old daughter. I was sitting on the floor playing with her as we chatted. After the interview they told me they had gone to 5 other interviews and not once did the provider engage, play with, or hold their daughter. They told me that was a HUGE deciding factor and they signed immediately!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3rdtimesacharm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It depends...some have come in baby carseats and if the parent doesn't take them out than I don't ask. If they are out or older I interact with them on their level and some just naturally climb into my lap. I like to meet during the day so I don't want them held too much because I want to see how they interact with my current group. In the Fall I had a little girl come with her parents who sat with me throughout the whole interview!! Her parents loved it and said it made them feel good that she took an instant liking to me. unfortunately I didn't end up choosing them and that was a hard one to say no too because they were great!

Last summer my husband did a little yard work for others and I'd go with him to deal with the customers. During a conversation with one couple, it came out that I have a hdc. They had a fairly new baby and she asked for more info and than asked if I wanted to hold her baby and pretty much threw her in my arms lol. It was fine but also a bit strange I thought....I don't think I'd want strangers holding my new baby lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtimesacharm View Post
    YES! One of my very first interviews way back when, family came in with their 11 month old daughter. I was sitting on the floor playing with her as we chatted. After the interview they told me they had gone to 5 other interviews and not once did the provider engage, play with, or hold their daughter. They told me that was a HUGE deciding factor and they signed immediately!
    I've had parents say this too....I think not holding on first meeting is likely pretty common. Some parents obviously are looking for this though!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    It depends...some have come in baby carseats and if the parent doesn't take them out than I don't ask. If they are out or older I interact with them on their level and some just naturally climb into my lap. I like to meet during the day so I don't want them held too much because I want to see how they interact with my current group. In the Fall I had a little girl come with her parents who sat with me throughout the whole interview!! Her parents loved it and said it made them feel good that she took an instant liking to me. unfortunately I didn't end up choosing them and that was a hard one to say no too because they were great!

Last summer my husband did a little yard work for others and I'd go with him to deal with the customers. During a conversation with one couple, it came out that I have a hdc. They had a fairly new baby and she asked for more info and than asked if I wanted to hold her baby and pretty much threw her in my arms lol. It was fine but also a bit strange I thought....I don't think I'd want strangers holding my new baby lol
    That's the thing, I want to see how they behave in the space and, really, I am not going to be carrying them around when they come to the daycare. I don't think I need to hold/carry around a child to show the parents that I will provide them with a safe and caring environment. I acknowledge the child, smile, ask them questions if they are old enough.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that Amanda! I don't hold older children during the meeting but certainly cuddle with them lots once they start coming here. I'm definitely not as "cuddly" during the first meeting either! I go with how the child is feeling

However, I've heard from some parents that other providers didn't even acknowledge their child...that's not a good sign IMO

Euphoric !
    I don't hold them either. I talk with them and smile etc but no I don't hold them

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don't typically hold a child on first meeting but I have had some sit on my lap too. It really depends. I definitely interact though, and I feel like no interaction at all would be weird!

I guess I prefer to let the child come to me if they feel inclined vs risking them totally freaking out if I hold them!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post: