Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blankies....

Starting to feel at home...

Blankies....

Hi all.
    I have 4 daycare kiddos, 2 of whom regularly (everyday) bring blankies. One of them sometimes also brings a stuffie.
    I have it in my contract that no toys or items from home are to be brought EXCEPT for blankies or stuffies for naptime.
    Well....these daycare kiddos are now 3 and 2.5. Been with me for 1.5-2 yrs. At what point can I say that the child does not require them!? Both of these children have gone to sleep easily without their blankies, when one get lost or accidentley left at home the very rare time.
    The blankies are not small, either, they are the size of a twin sized, thin, blanket. I am in the routine of tossing them downstairs immediately when the come, yet the ask for them multiple times a day. I do not like when they have them during play as they leave them aying around the house and are tripping hazards. I also don't like having to remember to bring them with me on our afternoon walk. So when parents pick kids up, we don't have to meet at home so I can retrieve blankie from the house. It's just a big PITA!! (Pain in The A$$)! Being 2.5 and 3yrs old, do u thinks it's time I request that blankies no longer be brought??

Euphoric !
    Of my 4, 2 have blankets that stay here and the other 2 (almost 2 and 3.5) bring theirs daily. 1 of the first 2 brings a stuffy though (only been about 3 weeks of this though). Personally, it doesn't bother me at all. I don't find them any more of a tripping hazard than other toys. If I notice they aren't using them or if we're using paint, I put them away in their beds though. I bring them outside with us in either their backpack or a plastic shopping bag. We only stay in the backyard in the afternoon though so that pick ups aren't all over the place.

If it bugs you, I don't think it would be terrible to ask that they bring a blanket to stay at dc however! Just tell the parents your concerns...I can't see it being a problem?

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    When I first opened, I had a couple of kids that would bring them back and forth every day. I wouldn't have cared except if they got forgotten at home, the whining was unbearable! And after the third evening visit from a parent coming at 8 pm to pick up a forgotten blankie, I said, that's enough. They either stay here or at home. No more back and forth.

Though I do want to say, they were never allowed to have them around the house. Too much drama with the sharing and not sharing and "she's touching my ...!!" So no toys from home, except the blankies that stay in their bed. The only exception is on p.j. days when they all have a stuffed animal. That usually goes over better as they can play all together with them.

Thanks for your help! I know one of the dgc girls blankies is one of a kind, made by grandma. It is a knitted blanket. It has since began to come unraveled. After this frist started happening, I did not allow child to nap with it as it had a LOT of loose threads. After a couple days, the parents had still not fixed it so I cut and tied loose strings to make it no longer a strangulation hazard! Anyways, the blanket has yet again started to come unraveled. Do u think it is fair if I ask that she leave it at home from now on? She is 2.5 yrs. And she is perfectly capable with sleeping without it...

Outgoing
    Exactly....stays in the playpen...doesn't come out...only for nap....The problem I have is that the kids want to bring toys from home...I have asked the parents REPEATEDLY ...NOT to bring toys here....they don't like to share them and it causes HAVOC! "Oh but Johnny won't co-operate for me....and I will have to listen to screaming all the way to your house"....fine....le t him bring it....LEAVE IT IN THE CAR! Of course when they try that..the kid comes in having a major MELTDOWN! I ask the parent to leave and I deal with it...I completely ignore them at the front door area...where they are screaming and kicking....eventuall y they stop and I ask them if they want to join us....we are talking about 3- 4 year olds here....Seriously parents....PULL. UP THE BIG BOY OR GIRL PANTS....and let your child know who is running the show....

Euphoric !
    I don't allow outside things for this reason. I supply blankets and stuffed animals for napping. I had one girl who had a stuffed animal and even at 5 yrs old she still brought it to daycare although it was never allowed out of the back pack. When she left I changed my policy - no more! We had meltdowns over it because it was forgotten at home, mom had to come pick it up here a few times as it was forgotten in the nap room. Nope!! No more.

I only have one with a blankie right now. When she arrives, I leave it in the bag until nap time, but after nap there is no prying it out of her hands so I wait until she's having snack and then swoop the soother, blankie and stuffy into her bag. Out of sight, out of mind.

I have another little one who leaves a blanket and soother here. That works perfect for me. They stay in the play pen and there is virtually no stress whatsoever. I wash the blanket when I wash the bedding.

When my son went to daycare, I had a second lovey that just stayed in his bag. I took it out to wash it and then it went right back. I didn't want the hassle of having to run back if we forgot it etc, but he needed it to sleep.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to flowerchild For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    "Oh but Johnny won't co-operate for me....and I will have to listen to screaming all the way to your house"....fine....le t him bring it....LEAVE IT IN THE CAR! Of course when they try that..the kid comes in having a major MELTDOWN!
    This when I say "So it okay for you not to be the bad-guy but I have to be? I expected to deal with your child plus others because you want to be your kids friend rather than parent?"

They get it then,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Since the kids are all used to bringing their blankies what I would likely do is send a note home. Note that as of April 15th you will no longer allow blankies from home. Note that they have become a problem during indoor play and they are an added hassle when going to the park.

Let the parents know that in order to prepare the children you will limit the blankies to nap time as of today until April 7th (or whenever), at that time you will begin taking the blankies and placing them in a bag at drop off until home time.

As of April 15th you expect the blankies to either stay at home or stay at the car, parents will be responsible for removing them form the child should the child bring them into the daycare. Put this in writing so they don't just let the child bring it in for you to rip away and hand back to the parent. The parent takes the blankie away or takes the child away!!

This makes the parents feel you are taking it on yourself to 'untrain' the child from having the blankies all day, which you have allowed thus far. Theoretically it makes it easier on the parents to no longer allow the blankies as you have untrained the children.

While it is completely up to the parent to actually leave the blankies at home...I can see some being worried about taking their child's lovie away in the morning hustle when they have been allowed to bring it for so long. This letter will break the news that have to step up and stop allowing it but makes it appear you are taking steps to help them which will hopefully lead to cooperation on the parents part.

I am biased though...my daughter (24months) is a complete blankie girl. She uses it all day...it's a cape, a doll bed, a dog blankie and very much part of her play. That said...when we realized she was attached to it we went out and bought 2 more so she has 3 in total. She knows there are 3 but we would be leaving a separate one at daycare an would be expecting it only stays in her bed at daycare. It is unreasonable to expect someone watching 5 children to keep a treasured blankie safe and clean! I would be so weary of sending a homemade knit blankie as they so easily get worn and unravel.

My nephew (2.5yrs) is inseparable with his blankie but my brother and sister-in-law (and most likely his home daycare provider) knew from the start not to allow that habit. He happily adjusted to daycare life with no blankie.

It does take not only the daycare providers but the PARENTS to make this happen though. A simple 'Blankies stay at home" is all it takes.

Outgoing
    EXACTLY...Suzie_Home maker....drives me CRAZY!