Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

How To Pick The Right Family

I was speaking with a neighbour earlier today who also runs a home daycare and seem was very upset that she lost 3 kids due to families getting accepted in daycare centers. I guess she feels used/not appreciated that she spent so much time with these families and as soon as a center spot opened up they left. I can see where she is coming but this worries me for Bill 10. I don't really understand Bill 10 and I know I read a few posts that we should do our homework and know the law as its our responsibility but shouldn't the government do their job in terms of letting us know EXACTLY what is expected so there isn't any confusion. My neighbour also stated she was confused because the daycare families were always complaining how HOME daycare rates were too expensive but all of a sudden they have no problem paying center rates. Is this new bill going to take clients away from home daycare providers and bring in more business for centers?

Yes. That is their plan. To shut us home daycares down and only have centres running. They are raising the Center ratios so they can accept more kids in. The gov makes more $$ off of centers then private run home care. Sucky I know!

This has happened to me too, I have a family today is her last day, she was only part-time, 3 days or sometimes 4 days, my rate was $36.00 per day. There is 3 daycare centre in my neighborhood, I reside in Limoges, Ontario. The rate at the daycare centre is $40.00 and I doubt it very much that she will be able to attend part-time. I am down to two children and the calls are really not coming in, tough today to be only cashing 2 cheques. I am getting very frustrated.

Euphoric !
    It is absolutely the intent of the government and licensed sector to put us out of business. That much is clear. The Bill is in place and is going through the regulatory committee, in which CICPO has a seat. The government, I don't believe, will educate providers effectively because it isn't in their best interest to do so. Frankly, they're pretty much just ignoring us. If any of you wish to stay in business, it is up to you to get involved and help where you can. CICPO founders are currently looking into whether or not a Cooperative agency is viable. We won't know for some time. Currently, there is a massive, government funded campaign put forth by AECEO, HCCAO, Coalition for Better Childcare, etc. Conferences are being held in cities across the province. We are trying to get a CICPO presence in these. There is one this weekend in Milton with, so far, 9 ICPs in attendance. I will be attending the York Region event on May 30 in Maple. If anyone wishes to join me, let me know.

CICPO is your only voice. They've gained a lot of clout in the last 10 months. However, we really do need more people to be actively involved. And, a word of advice....if you don't understand the bill, you'd best start reading up before Proclamation and before a ministry official shows up at your door. Pleading ignorance won't spare you a $250,000 fine, I'm afraid.

Below are the links to the CICPO main website and the FB page.

http://www.cicpo.ca/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CICPO/
    Last edited by cfred; 05-22-2015 at 10:24 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    [QUOTE=cfred;76679]It is absolutely the intent of the government and licensed sector to put us out of business. That much is clear.

CICPO is your only voice. They've gained a lot of clout in the last 10 months. However, we really do need more people to be actively involved. And, a word of advice....if you don't understand the bill, you'd best start reading up before Proclamation and before a ministry official shows up at your door. Pleading ignorance won't spare you a $250,000 fine, I'm afraid.

All of you should go to the May 30 meeting and get your voice heard !!!!

Lost another child to a Daycare Centre

Yesterday was the last day of my part-time DC. They are choosing a daycare centre in the neighborhood. As, I'm saying goodbye another parents tell me they are leaving as well. Now, I'm down to one child. I was so upset, how many children 18 months, toddlers can they hold in the centre. I will not stay open for one child. I have been looking for an Administrative Assistant job for a while, I have over 15 years of experience. I might just have to take anything, retail, cleaning just to get out of daycare, I'm done way too stressful.

Euphoric !
    That's really unfortunate. It can be a stressful job and I suppose it depends on where you live. I have 2 centres within a 1 minute walk of my house, but am full for about the next 2 years or so. Every area is different. Some of us think that Bill 10 is the first step in the daycare system just being absorbed into the school system...all signs point to that. There will still be a market for ICPs, but if you wish to stay in business, you'll probably have to up the ante substantially, regardless of how good a program you run. I foresee ICPs catering to a wealthier crowd...those who don't want their children institutionalized and have the money to choose. It's already happening with FDK. Montessori schools are filling up now with parents, like my sister, who don't like what they see happening in the school system. I plan to dramatically change my business, crank my rates (when it's time) and hone in on that specific market. It would be wise, again, if you wish to stay in this business, to get your ECE if you don't have it already. They're certainly making it easier and easier to do so and having that ticket does have it's advantages in the market.

At any rate, I'm sorry some of you are having a tough go. It's a hard time for all ICPs. CICPO has been hard at work trying to make changes, and we've certainly been heard and have a presence. However, we simply didn't have enough ICPs joining in to really have the impact we were shooting for. It's too bad, really, because given the amount of progress we've made, we actually had a shot. All we can do now is continue to hope for a Cooperative and adjust our business strategies to fit the new daycare climate. Good luck everyone.

Euphoric !
    I very much agree with cfred. I believe the best way forward is if you can market yourself to the 'wealthy' families that want to avoid group care. Being the cheapest is not going to keep you full. There are too many incentives for families to use the centre based care. I feel to keep your business viable home daycare providers will be best to market themselves in a way that acknowledges the benefits of small group, home based care BUT has some of the key features of centre based care as well...enrichment, learning opportunities etc.

For those with ECE and teaching degrees this will be a selling feature, for those without that perhaps finding a niche market (organic, waldorf, Montessori, etc). Raise your rates to draw in the upper middle class families.

When I had a full house (I downsized some time ago) I easily filled my 5 spots charge $15-20 more than the providers around me. I was able to do this with my education and experience and by selling myself as providing quality low ratio care. I designed my daycare space to be similar to that of daycare centres (distinguished play spaces) with the children free to explore safely. The families I signed on were all federal government workers that did not want centre based care.

I do believe that had my fees been lower I would not have even had these families out for an interview. I can't help but feel that they were looking for something more. Obviously it was largely to do with my advertising and how I sold myself but I do believe that having that higher price clearly advertised I found the market I was looking for.

I suspect this will be the way for most to move ahead. Obviously not everyone can jack their prices up at once, and over time there could very well be less demand for home based spaces (more centres open). But, I can't help but feel that in time home daycares will be for the 'elite' that just don't want to put their kids in centre based care.

It would be nice if my thoughts (as above) don't play out and big changes don't take place...but I am doubtful :-(