Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    k8who

Home daycare and vaccines

What are the laws around home daycare and vaccines? I'm not looking to start a debate but I up until now have had all vaccinated children in my care and some parents have specifically asked to ensure the current group is vaccinated prior to enrolling. I now have siblings interested that are not vaccinated and I'm not sure what to do, to make it more complicated the siblings parents are good family friends.

It may differ province to province I'm in Vancouver island BC.

Thanks

There are no laws inreguards to needles. It is whatever you are comfortable with. I personally do not accept any child unless they are up to date

Euphoric !
    It is up to you and what you are comfortable with. I've never had parents ask about others or tell me about their child (except one mom I interviewed did say they hadn't had them yet as they were undecided) and personally, I would not be comfortable telling other parents if other kids were vaccinated or not. It is such a controversial topic for some and I feel it is confidential.

I personally don't care if a child is vaccinated or not so I don't even bother asking. If I had a parent say that they didn't want unvaccinated children in my care than they would maybe need to find another daycare.

I can't really remember, but I don't even think when I worked in centres we were allowed to ask. I believe the only thing we could ask is if the child has HIV. I can't remember for certain though!!

k8who
    I have learned since that I'm not required to answer if enrolled children are vaccinated. So that's helpful to know.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by k8who View Post
    What are the laws around home daycare and vaccines? I'm not looking to start a debate but I up until now have had all vaccinated children in my care and some parents have specifically asked to ensure the current group is vaccinated prior to enrolling. I now have siblings interested that are not vaccinated and I'm not sure what to do, to make it more complicated the siblings parents are good family friends.

It may differ province to province I'm in Vancouver island BC.

Thanks
    There are no laws in Canada requiring children to be immunized. It is the parents choice.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by k8who View Post
    I have learned since that I'm not required to answer if enrolled children are vaccinated. So that's helpful to know.
    It's more a case that you MUST not. Medical information is personal information. If you happen to be aware of it as part of your relationship with a client, you are trusted not to disclose that information to anyone else.

However, you can have strict policy and enforce it. And a parent can presume that you are enforcing it. You cannot confirm if you are.

We have little girl in family who cannot be vaccinated due to medical condition. It very important to us that she is safe in our home. We do not allow un-immunized day care children. Parent expected to fill in statement that their child immunisations up to date and that they will always be up to date. Failure to disclose non-immunization will result in immediate termination with fee of 4 weeks in lieu of notice.

My client can be confident I enforce this policy but I not allowed to confirm if everyone here has been vaccinated to other parent because it's confidential information.

Expansive...
    I asked my licensing inspector about this as I had a parent who was interested in my home daycare and Lic said that vaccines is a parents choice, but we can decide if we want to have a child who is not vaccinated attend our daycare
    if they do attend they need to be aware if there is an outbreak of measles etc and keep the child home till it is safe for them to return. I am also in BC

k8who
    I wasn't referring to if there are laws requiring vaccinations (I know they aren't required).

k8who
    Thanks that's exactly what I was wondering.