Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wwyd?

Euphoric !

Wwyd?

I'm pregnant and closing in February for mat leave. I disclosed this to a family I had signed on before I was pregnant that is supposed to start in September. They said they would probably still send him but would let me know this week. I have had a few people with older kids 2-2.5 yrs old that have asked for the spot. They don't know it would be short term but I have the feeling that spots are a bit scare at the moment so I could possibly sign one on.

I contacted my new family on Wed and asked if they had made a decision because I have all these inquiries and don't want to miss out if they are exploring their options. They never got back to me...I don't want to harass them but I need to protect myself. I do have a deposit from them and they only have to give me a months notice but I find now is when people are looking for September. Next week will be cutting it close as I am taking 2 weeks vacation in a week so will not be available for interviews etc.

Do I just wait and see? Do I email her again today?

I would. I would just say, sorry to bug again but I had another family contact me interested in my short term spot but I really do not want to go ahead and fill it, as it is your spot unless you would no longer like it. Can you please let me know this wkend so I can then know how to move forward with these interested families thank u. I would call though, not email.

personally i would fill it, and when they contact you in three weeks or so say Oh, sorry didn;t you get your deposit? I assumed since you didn't get back to me you we not wanting to go forward with our arrangement.

Euphoric !
    It will take them at least two weeks to set up interviews and start again to find someone if everyone they interviewed the first time is already filled. It can also mean they are on a wait list for a centre if they aren't concerned about bringing the child to you in Sept knowing that it will be only for 6 months.

Since the family never gave you any indication on where they were at when you contacted them you also have the option to say you know I have thought about it and given how am feeling being pregnant I have decided that I am not able to take such a young child in September and will be refunding you your deposit. DO this after you have interviewed and replaced with an older child - at the same time unless you plan to be honest with the new ones you interview about your mat leave - and they will ask for sure at the interview what your plan is you run the risk of them leaving as soon as they find out.

Expansive...
    Look out for yourself and fill the spot with an older child so no surprises when you come back from your Holidays

Euphoric !
    So I have an interview with another family on Thursday morning. I don't normally do interviews during daycare hours but I need to make a decision before I leave for vacation on Friday.

The first family emailed me on Sunday and said they are waiting to find out if they got a spot at his old daycare centre (they left there to come to me which adds to the guilt) and won't know until Aug 4th. So it is clear they will leave the minute they get a spot there and they have been transparent about this. Well they maybe won't leave. I think they are looking for September so he doesn't start with me or Feb when I am done. Problem is, if this other family wants the spot, what do I do? I would feel like an ass either way. I know, look out for myself first but I am technically the one screwing over this first family (in their eyes) as they planned on being with me until kindergarten. I don't think the situation is as cut and dry as I'd like it to be. I also don't want the first family to leave me in the dust in 2 mos whereas the 2nd family knows I am pregnant and will look for something for Feb. I believe they will as their current provider sold her house and is closing up shop. They have stayed with her until the end.

Euphoric !
    I would feel like an ass either way.
    This new family is going to think you screwed them up anyway. You are going to feel like ass anyway. So whatever you decide, these fact stay the same.

Since first family has been transparent they they hope to find place in his old daycare, they will take that as soon as it available. It might be on 4th, it might be when you on vacation. It might be in September, it might be later. But, they will leave as soon as place opens up for them. I think we all understand that they have to do what they have to do, and if space become available after he begin care with you, they will leave for the long term option.

These are all knowns. Real fact. Not in your control.

With all these fact, if other family want spot, it would be in your interest to take them. They know full situation. If, and it is still if, they want spot, they going into that eye wide open.

You can't change this situation to come out smelling of roses with unicorns farting rainbow. There no way to get that outcome with both families.

Since you can't make the situation better for everyone, you have to go with best option.

The best option depend on what you mean by best.

Best to feel less guilty = Take family you know will leave first chance and understand that might be only short while leaving you back to beginning with empty place that be hard to fill on short term basis before closing.

Best Business Option = Take family who know you pregnant if they want the space because it most likely this one will stay longer than other family hoping to get their old spot back with other daycare.

If you have choice, why even consider the family waiting for spot elsewhere? Just to make yourself feel like less of ass? Can you take that feeling to bank and pay mortgage with it? I don't think you can. My bank likes cold hard cash. Since whole dilemma is your need to keep income as long as possible, there really only one option if both families want your spot.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 07-28-2015 at 08:41 AM.