Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Late dropoffs

Expansive...

Late dropoffs

I have a family who's parents don't work for the summer, and seem to come and go as they please. It is so disruptive to our routine(late dropoffs without notice/ pickup at awkward times like sleep time etc.) Now they want to dropoff today an hour before my closing time. My contract says all kids must be in by 9am. How do I address the fact that I'm not a drop-in service? Also, what do you have in your contracts about dropoffs? Do you have a set cut-off point for not accepting them during the day? Thanks.

Outgoing
    An hour before closing? Like you close at 5pm and they want to drop off at 4pm? That's just craziness!

I have it in my policies that I don't accept drop-off after lunch. Why drop off, just to have to go straight to bed? It wouldn't work for 99% of kids so it's a no-no here. But before lunch, I don't really care. We don't go anywhere, so there's no sitting around waiting for someone. They just miss out on the morning's activities. It's hard on the kids, though, when they don't have a schedule, IMO.

Outgoing
    I think you have just answered your own question...tell them "you aren't a drop-in-service"..I had one that used to come anywhere up til 11:00 am....when I told her I don't serve breakfast after 9:30...she was pretty much coming before then. I also tell parents we go for our walk between 9:30 and 10:00....if you aren't here by then....we wait for nobody..COME FIND US....I DID HAVE SOME WHO ENDED UP GOING HOME BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T FIND US...not my problem...they will change....

Euphoric !
    We don't go anywhere so it isn't a huge issue for me (other than annoying lol). I have one who shows up between 9-11. I just continue on with our day. Mom was bad for coming in right at 10 (Just as the others were sitting down for snack) and then I was pulling out something for him to eat as well. I then decided if he is not here while I am prepping meals then he doesn't get any. He then was coming at 10 and just playing while the others ate. Mom started coming later now that she realizes I don't feed him. Majority of the time she shows up now at 10:30 when we are outside.

I have right in my contract that I request no drop off/pickup during nap time. Honestly if they aren't here by noon what is the point?

If there happens to be a day where I have a small group and we go on an outing then I just tell all families that they must be at daycare by 830.

Euphoric !
    I have children must be here by 9am or at 11.30am as we outside and maybe off site that time. Other than that, I not have limits. I guess if they pay for place, then they can use but I not had someone wanting drop for last hour only.

My client who not here every day in Summer, just message me on Sunday and say what day child be here, if any. And they say time they will come but it before 9am. Just not as early as regular day.

I not sure what I would say for one hour drop.

Euphoric !
    One hour?? What's the point? I'm guessing they have an appt? I'd allow it but would find it strange lol

I can't remember if I added it to my contract but I do ask parents to drop off by 9am so we can start our day. I'm sporadic (due to my back pain I don't like to plan too far in advance in case it's a day I need to rest my back) and sometimes plan outings the morning of so I like to know who is here and at what time. If I know they're coming late it's not as annoying as just waiting around for them.

I also stress to the parents that for their child to get the most out of my program, they should be here in the morning. We do the "bigger and funner" stuff then as afternoon pickups start shortly after nap so it's usually free play/outdoor play/small activities

Euphoric !
    The best way to do it and show you are serious is to remind them of what it says in the contract and that you expect them to honour it because you want the freedom to stick to your schedule. Then the next day you leave for the park at 9:15.

Expansive...
    print the page of your contract saying what time the children need to be dropped off by and then high- light it and put it in the kids cubby

I would tell them that they have to be here by XXX time or there will be no care for the day and pick up is between xxx and xxx. I have flat out told parents that I am not a drop in daycare and they need to respect my drop off/pick up times. I also have this right in my contract/handbook

Shy
    I think its a good idea to put this in my contract for new clients.

I do have a family who drops off at different times almost every day, between 8 and 9:30. I do find it a bit irritating, as we are out all morning going to the park, trail walks and I don't like waiting around. I also don't like sending texts to inform them where to find us - I stopped doing this. I don't wait around anymore, if they're late they'll have to send me a text and hunt me down. It's not fair to the other children to wait or have their activities delayed. It makes the start to the day much easier when everyone is here by 8:30.