Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Parent a jerk or am I to sensitive?

So I have just recently opened my dayhome and have found this forum so helpful! I would love your guys opinion on this family I have.

So I have 2 set of parents I absolutely love and 2 I'm just not sure about. I wrote another post about the mom that is always late and unreliable. I'm just waiting to make sure she pays me for september.

This other mom I just don't know if I'm being sensitive or she is a terrible dayhome parent. So she was the first lady I signed and the only part time I have. I signed the mom on for 2 days a week everything seemed great and then she calls me and says she wants to pay per day instead of per month. I said absolutely not because I don't want her to think she can not come a day and not have to pay for it. It's a fixed price so I always know what I'm earning. She complained but said okay but I want to do three days a week. I agreed and gave her a knew price to pay. Last Wednesday she emailed me at 7 in the morning asked if I could watch her kid for that day (outside her scheduled days) I said yes thats fine. Well then this week she showed up an hour late for drop off delaying our trip to the park. I said to her as per my parent handbook all late or early drop off or pick ups need to be communicated. Her reply was I though you were flexible! I didn't even know what to say. I can't be flexible if I never know when she is coming or going. She has also decided she doesn't want to pay for stats and is requesting a make up day everytime I take a stat off. We have talked about it multiple times and I said no. Today she emails me and says so I have to pay for stats you decide not to work? I'm staying open labour day just for her kid! Again I said as per my parent handbook all stat holidays are off paid, if I choose to stay open it is at my discretion. She also refuses to wash his water bottle and take him his bag or even give me appropriate clothes for the day. Also last week she dropped him off and then an hour later texted me by the way it his birthday.....

I have a person who wants to sign with me full time but I need to choose between these family's I don't want both as I only want 4 kids. The mom of this boy seems great.

I guess I'm wondering if you guys think I'm taking things to personally and should just stick it out or go with my gut and choose the good mom.

Also how did you guys terminate what did you say? She is still within the trial period so I only need to give 24 hours notice but I'm thinking of giving her to the end of September to let her find other care.

Thanks so much ladies and sorry for the long post!

Let her go, sign the other child. Simply say, I'm sorry this isn't working out as I find you are having a hard time following my contact with drop off times, days of care and pay. Perhaps another day home will better suit your needs. She needs to know that this is your business ur home. Ur rules. If she doesn't like them then she can leave not try to ask and swindle her way to make u change ur rules. And hummm...Labor Day u should close, it's a stat day. Again she pays or she leaves period.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Let this family go. Simply give them notice of termination due to their inability to abide by the signed upon contract. Don't give examples or anything just a letter stating the above reason and the last day of care.

If she presses for examples etc just state you will be filling the space with a family that can abide by the contract and respect the written contract (paid stats off etc).

She seems to have the allusion that she was the first to sign on, that you owe her and that you work for her.

Hope the next family is a keeper :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Your part time family has not respect for you or your business. Terminate care. Whether or not they can find care elsewhere is not your problem. If they left you they wouldn't care if you had a replacement waiting or not. Give the 24 hour notice and be done with this family.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Shy
    That's exactly what I thought I should do thank you all for reassuring me. I will write up a letter and give to her the last day of August. I'm losing money even having a part time to start I don't think I need to deal with her everyday. I sat down at interview and went threw every point in my handbook why do parents agree to it and sign a contract when they don't agree? Makes no sense to me

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dawn2Dusk For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Totally agree. You are not being too sensitive, she is trying to wear you down. You said you've talked about these things multiple times, but she keeps bringing them up. Use your opportunity for quick notice (24 hrs) and be done. Just imagine, if she's acting like this now, while on a trial period, imagine what it will be like once the trial period is over.

Dear parent,
    This notice is to inform you that as of (date) childcare for (child) will no longer be available. As per the contract signed on (date), please consider this is your 24 hours notice.
    Dawn2Dusk
    I don't think it has to be any more complicated that that unless you have something else written in the contract about reasons for terminating. I would give it to her in the morning rather than afternoon, and on Friday morning, so the child's last day is Friday. Just a thought.

Euphoric !
    I understand you only have to give 24 hrs notice but I think giving as much notice as possible is always nice. Why not give her notice tomorrow, effective the last day of August (28th). Just mention you are only required to give 24 hrs notice but you are being courteous and giving a week. If she leaves earlier, all the better.

Shy
    My contract states if they leave within the trial period I must give back unused fees, since she paid for all of August I don't want to risk them leave immediately, then I have to give the money back for days unused.

Euphoric !
    I am never one to terminate just because a parent is annoying. The grass isn't always greener. In your case I would be very firm with mom. Tell her this is the way it is end of story. Have you been somewhat flexible and that's why she thinks things can be?

I would be letting them know that you have a family interested in full time and offer her the spot full time. If she says no then goodbye.

Also do not open on a stat for her! This is what makes me think you have been somewhat lenient.

There is no guarantee with the next family and I don't believe in terminating just because we don't like someone we chose. She is just testing her boundaries and once you show her who is boss things will get better or she will leave.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk View Post
    My contract states if they leave within the trial period I must give back unused fees, since she paid for all of August I don't want to risk them leave immediately, then I have to give the money back for days unused.
    She paid for all of August? Not September? Well, today is the 27th, there are only 2 more days in August, (unless you work weekends.) You could make the last day Monday, the 31st. No?